Star Trek: Prodigy (New Series)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Star Trek: Prodigy (New Series)

Post by tezunegari »

The first trailer has been released and it included the new ship!
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-trek- ... y-starship

USS Protostar
NX-76884

And apparently they are taking the "bridge window" to the extreme...
but at least the ship appears to be rather small.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Looks good.

And as for why Janeway is the hologram, I had a thought.

Remember the Doctors 'Emergency Command Hologram'?

Maybe the 'Command Hologram' has different settings between numerous Captains.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The ship seems to take a few cues from the kelvin timeline, look at those amble nacelles, but otherwise fine.

Protostar is kind of a dumb name though.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I really don't like the new aesthetic.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Knife wrote: 2021-07-23 08:21pm I really don't like the new aesthetic.
I really do.

I've seen the first few episodes and to be honest it's really freaking good. The designs are wonderful, the animation is gorgeous, the Intro is beautiful and I like the cast. All of them are good, in praticular Kate delivers a good performance as Holo-Janeway. The worldbuilding is introduced at a nice pace.

Moreover I feel that this is what Star Trek needs to survive. It manages to capture the hopeful feel that Star Trek thrives on.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Does anyone else suspect that Holo-Janeway knows that these kids aren't Starfleet cadets ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-11-21 03:16am Does anyone else suspect that Holo-Janeway knows that these kids aren't Starfleet cadets ?
Most likely but then I suspect that she might be faking that to be able to help the kids without violating some protocols. Also she might be also Stealth recruiting them into Starfleet via that way too.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-11-21 02:53pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-11-21 03:16am Does anyone else suspect that Holo-Janeway knows that these kids aren't Starfleet cadets ?
Most likely but then I suspect that she might be faking that to be able to help the kids without violating some protocols. Also she might be also Stealth recruiting them into Starfleet via that way too.
Maybe. But they aren't Federation citizens, which means they can't join Starfleet without a letter of recommendation. I don't think Holo-Janeway will be able to give them one. But getting them to Federation space is probably better for them than anywhere else they can think of going.

Also, remember that this is a show aimed at children. Holo-Janeway using their own lies to manipulate them would be an interesting moral lesson.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Possible Protocal Holo-janeway is using :

"When under the control of non-Starfleet/Federation crew, get the ship back to Federation territory. Once there, head to the nearest starbase, with the crew unconcious if they resist, to let legitimate authorities decide what to do with them."
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Yeah. The idea of a training hologram being the only holographic crew on a ship with an experimental engine is a bit suspicious. Especially one that's locked out of systems that might be helpful if an emergency incapacitates the organic crew.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-11-22 12:42amMaybe. But they aren't Federation citizens, which means they can't join Starfleet without a letter of recommendation.
I think they probably are; they're mostly from Federation species, and there was recently a reference to a sleeper ship.

I don't think she's trying to recruit them though, that'd be unusually duplicitous.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

NecronLord wrote: 2021-11-22 01:17pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-11-22 12:42amMaybe. But they aren't Federation citizens, which means they can't join Starfleet without a letter of recommendation.
I think they probably are; they're mostly from Federation species, and there was recently a reference to a sleeper ship.

I don't think she's trying to recruit them though, that'd be unusually duplicitous.
When I said "stealth recruiting" what I meant is that she's trying to show how "cool" starfleet is so that once the Protostar makes to UFP space those kids might be more willing to join starfleet by their own will. What I didn't mean was that she's trying to make them starfleet members without them knowing it.

So less covert recruitment and more ad for starfleet in the guise of survival.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Finished the first half (up to Ep 10) of the season. Liked the format and content. The overall plot of the first half was a bit meh and the reveal seemed a bit rushed, but the subplot regarding the Protostar's origins (and original captain...surprise surprise) had me hooked. Not to mention the ending and according to interviews it seems that the second half of the season we'll see an interesting storyline if done well.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm 13 or 14 episode, depending in whether you count the pilot as two or not. Anyway they just all messed up talking to Janeway's crew and ran off into the neutral zone with Okana. Not sure why the animated series are bringing him back but whatever.

It's a fun series that pretty entertaining not entirely light and breezy but mostly. Half the length but twice the episodes of Picard or SNW is good feelsike more content but of course everything's wrapped up quickly.

I must admit I get a kick out of them canonising Peter David's brikar and them using animation to show new and interesting species.

Am I alone in getting Mass Effect vibes from it? The Protostar reminds me a lot of the Normandy SR1 particularly the size , vehicle hanger and weirdly the captain's quarters. Even the watchers on tars lamora reminds me of the remnant in Andromeda.

The effect of the protodrive is to make the galaxy feel a bit small though, apart from Jankom being on a pre-federation sleeper ship they don't explain how so many Alpha quadrant species got sold to The Diviner by kazon: medusan, caitian. Brikar assuming the canon version are from the alpha quadrant.

It's kind of weird Chakotay needs a basic training version of Janeway around to hold his hand as well. Not too keen on the recreated Dauntless featuring either but all in all it's pretty fun and watchable despite some quibbles.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looks like we might not see season 2

Paramount is doing this bullshit thing were they cancel and remove things from their streaming service to save on residuals and get tax write offs. According that article they are going to finish Season 2 but not put it on Paramount plus and shop it around instead.
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-06-23 05:28pm Looks like we might not see season 2

Paramount is doing this bullshit thing were they cancel and remove things from their streaming service to save on residuals and get tax write offs. According that article they are going to finish Season 2 but not put it on Paramount plus and shop it around instead.
I think there is a very real possibility there is a potential positive here, depending on how you look at it.

After the reception of PIC S3, I think there's a VERY real possibility of a Voyager live action reunion show (and the Legacy show, or maybe they'll be the same thing.)

Keeping Prodigy around means said show would be somewhat bound by the events of Prodigy... which may not really be a big deal, depending. With axing Prodigy and actively removing it from the platform... they be signaling a decanonization of Prodigy to have a cleaner slate for a "real" Voyager reunion.

It would also, presumably, free up some resources for another show.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um- the only connection between 'Prodigy' and VOY was the Lameway hologram. How exactly would that affect a (wanted by nobody) future VOY series?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

That's also not how Paramount has ever treated Star Trek's canon since Gene died. Everything seen onscreen has been considered in continuity whether the fans liked it or not. And when the fans came up with conspiracy theories that there was a new universe for Discovery, the showrunners flat told them they were wrong, they just made another change to the aesthetics just as they had done in the past during the 80's and 90's. Prodigy isn't the only show Paramount is canceling, there are four other shows on the chopping block that have nothing to do with Star Trek, so this almost certainly has to do with cynical financial reasons exactly like they said it does.

I mean, think about it. There is nothing about Prodigy that stops them from doing a Voyager reunion if that's what the audience wants, the writing staff wants, and the actors want. They are already set up for a series starring Seven of Nine as captain of the Enterprise, so the main hurdle is getting the old actors onboard. We already know that they wanted Janeway in S1 of Picard, but when Mulgrew found out she was going to have an antagonistic relationship withe Picard she turned down the part, believing it to be out of character for Janeway. So we know some of the actors are very particular about whether or not they will come back if the script isn't to their liking. It could be that the other actors don't care about returning to their roles. We got a guest appearance on Lower Decks for Tom Paris, Robert Beltran and Kate Mulgrew in Prodigy, Tim Russ in the final season of Picard, and of course Jeri Ryan as a regular on Picard. The actors we haven't seen reprise their roles are Robert Picardo, Garrett Wang, Roxann Dawson, and Ethan Philips (though that last one is most understandable given his character was left in the Delta Quadrant). There might well be good reasons none of them care or have other projects they would rather be working on.

Personally, I think its better this way. Picard was an experiment worth trying, but its better to get new scripts starring new actors playing new characters with none of the baggage of the 90's attached than to put too many eggs in a basket that needs members of the old guard to return or the script doesn't work. They got lucky as is that the TNG cast was willing to come back for even a single season, given their current situations and Patrick Stewart's age. It could well have gone the same way as Harrison Ford reprising Han Solo only because he wanted the character to finally be killed off.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-06-23 05:28pm Looks like we might not see season 2

Shopping it around to other platforms doesn't seem like a good sign for the long term prospects of Paramount+.
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

Formless wrote: 2023-06-28 07:18pm We already know that they wanted Janeway in S1 of Picard, but when Mulgrew found out she was going to have an antagonistic relationship withe Picard she turned down the part, believing it to be out of character for Janeway.
That's partly true, but Matalas was totally willing to rework that. He's gone on record that it was financial and time constraints that prevented a Janeway appearance, his direct quote having to be reminded that "This isn't Avengers Endgame". Mulgrew has been open about being very much down for a Janeway show. I saw her talk about in person at New York Comic Con last year. She pretty much looked Kurtzman in the eye and was like, "make it happen."
So we know some of the actors are very particular about whether or not they will come back if the script isn't to their liking. It could be that the other actors don't care about returning to their roles. We got a guest appearance on Lower Decks for Tom Paris, Robert Beltran and Kate Mulgrew in Prodigy, Tim Russ in the final season of Picard, and of course Jeri Ryan as a regular on Picard. The actors we haven't seen reprise their roles are Robert Picardo, Garrett Wang, Roxann Dawson, and Ethan Philips (though that last one is most understandable given his character was left in the Delta Quadrant). There might well be good reasons none of them care or have other projects they would rather be working on.
It's well known Beltran didn't want to do PIC S2 as Confederation Annika Hanses husband because he didn't want to be "evil" Chakotay. But clearly he's open to coming back because... he did.

Wang was also supposed to be in PIC S3, his cameo got cut for both time consideration and to leave the character alone for a Prodigy appearance. Wang seems totally down.

Picardo has pretty openly expressed interest in returning.

As noted, McNeil did Lower Decks and he seems open.

Dawson and Phillips are the wildcards, I would imagine Phillips would be on board... he's been involved with Trek for a long time. Dawson I think is the only questionable one... a quick look shows she hasn't acted in over a decade and is more of a director now... BUT... at the same point, so was Frakes and they got him back.

I'm fairly confident if Paramount wanted to, they could get all of them.
Personally, I think its better this way. Picard was an experiment worth trying, but its better to get new scripts starring new actors playing new characters with none of the baggage of the 90's attached than to put too many eggs in a basket that needs members of the old guard to return or the script doesn't work. They got lucky as is that the TNG cast was willing to come back for even a single season, given their current situations and Patrick Stewart's age. It could well have gone the same way as Harrison Ford reprising Han Solo only because he wanted the character to finally be killed off.
I don't think something like a Voyager reunion should be a long running series. Honestly, a mini-series event is perfect. That's all we need.

The problem is, new shows with new characters aren't a guarantee either. That's Discovery. And it's godawful. We can kind of have our cake and eat it too... we can have Legacy, with Seven and the possibility for appearances when desired. We can ALSO have a Voyager mini-series. Hell, we can have a DS9 mini-series... but... unfortunately we lost Odo and Avery Brooks is a total nut bar now.

Going on a tangent, they can use Legacy as the hub of new Trek. Stop trying to make Discovery happen. It's not gonna happen. Drop Legacy in and... you've got your vessel for these shows. Rather than a 100% independent DS9 reunion show, have a season of Legacy be about something DS9 related... and get whoever you can get to come in.

They've mentioned rather than doing a PIC S4, they could do smaller, one shots with characters... have an arc with nuData on Legacy, etc.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote: 2023-06-28 06:39pm Um- the only connection between 'Prodigy' and VOY was the Lameway hologram. How exactly would that affect a (wanted by nobody) future VOY series?
So how far did you get with the show exactly?

And while Voyager is and was the internet's punching bag , it still has plenty of fans and because of newer shows being seen as even worse, has gone through a re-evaluation in some quarters. Like There's no way as much interest as a TNG revival but there is still some.

Prodigy absolutely restricts what you can do with at least a couple of characters.

Disco was getting better each season and doesn't deserve hate. It's not actually good. It is ending and being replaced by a 31st century (i think?) Starfleet Academy show.

And after the disappointing emptiness of Picard S3, I'd much rather have the 32nd century as the hub for stories going on than more of Matalas' Pic stuff. If I don't ever have to acknowledge the Enterprise-G and Ensign Crusher again I'll be much happier.
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-07-03 06:00pm And after the disappointing emptiness of Picard S3, I'd much rather have the 32nd century as the hub for stories going on than more of Matalas' Pic stuff. If I don't ever have to acknowledge the Enterprise-G and Ensign Crusher again I'll be much happier.
PIC S3 was up there with some of the very best of the Star Trek in any era, and without even a question the undisputed champion of the modern era without even a contender in sight.

Discovery became almost kind of watchable with the time jump, but the insistence on double and tripling down on Burnham Christ still kills it, not to mention the absolutely laughable, almost practical joke level conclusion to Season 3. Season 4 wasn't much better, again doubling down on the, at this memetic, "Burnham cries at it" to save the day.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Evilchumlee wrote: 2023-07-05 09:02am
Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-07-03 06:00pm And after the disappointing emptiness of Picard S3, I'd much rather have the 32nd century as the hub for stories going on than more of Matalas' Pic stuff. If I don't ever have to acknowledge the Enterprise-G and Ensign Crusher again I'll be much happier.
PIC S3 was up there with some of the very best of the Star Trek in any era, and without even a question the undisputed champion of the modern era without even a contender in sight.
I mean it's all a matter of personal opinion. But no. PIC S3 is not up there with the best of Star Trek it's got no legs to stand on apart from Nostalgia and call backs. Was it fun to see all the TNG cast back? Yes? Did they do anything remotely new, interesting, or meaningful now?

Picard S3 finished by pretending it's Return of the Jedi. So I'd very much dispute that.

If anything Prodigy itself is probably the show I can pick least flaws with.
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-07-05 09:23am I mean it's all a matter of personal opinion. But no. PIC S3 is not up there with the best of Star Trek it's got no legs to stand on apart from Nostalgia and call backs. Was it fun to see all the TNG cast back? Yes? Did they do anything remotely new, interesting, or meaningful now?
Sure, there's nostalgia... but I would argue that it's not a bad thing, and rather than simply being "Hey, member this?", the "nostalgia" adds enormous emotional weight by having three decades of backstory to draw from.

What's new, interesting and meaningful is that... this is a rare type of story to be able to tell in the way it was told. It's not everyday we can tell a story with characters we have three decades of investment in. That's what is interesting.
Prodigy is fine. I don't really have any major complaints about it save for it being a kids show. That's fine, it just also appeals to me less because of that. I've watched it. I enjoyed most of it for what it is.

i would gladly sacrifice it for either a proper Voyager reunion, or a PIC S3 "Legacy" spinoff.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Evilchumlee wrote: 2023-07-05 09:39am
Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-07-05 09:23am I mean it's all a matter of personal opinion. But no. PIC S3 is not up there with the best of Star Trek it's got no legs to stand on apart from Nostalgia and call backs. Was it fun to see all the TNG cast back? Yes? Did they do anything remotely new, interesting, or meaningful now?
Sure, there's nostalgia... but I would argue that it's not a bad thing, and rather than simply being "Hey, member this?", the "nostalgia" adds enormous emotional weight by having three decades of backstory to draw from.

What's new, interesting and meaningful is that... this is a rare type of story to be able to tell in the way it was told. It's not everyday we can tell a story with characters we have three decades of investment in. That's what is interesting.
That's just looping back to it's appeal solely being that it's a TNG cast reunion, however you describe it. Yes it's nice to have them back, no it's not inherently meaningful or interesting because of it or even new. Plenty of shows have done reunions over the years.
Prodigy is fine. I don't really have any major complaints about it save for it being a kids show. That's fine, it just also appeals to me less because of that. I've watched it. I enjoyed most of it for what it is.

i would gladly sacrifice it for either a proper Voyager reunion, or a PIC S3 "Legacy" spinoff.
And I would much rather than hired competent writers who worked with continuity rather than ditching anything.