Star Trek: Discovery

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-10-17 01:04pm They do. They also seem to require us to always never THINK when the retard level is dialed above 12. A full physical for returning POWs would be normal.
Yes it would. And I believe they will have a $reason for why it doesn't work. A life signs scrambler, a virus entered into the tricorder / computer, the first few tests being "interrupted" by a $problem (bit like Seska but not as contrived - this will last an episode or two at most) but in the end they'll find him. Perhaps after beaming him in an away team, they try to lock on to coordinates and there's only 3 human life signs when there should be 4... or something. Or more likely the Tribble has an innate hostile reaction to him but no one knows why.

But, we also know from prior films, that THAT level of not-been-done
Well, the times it's been done majorly that I remember:

Trouble with Tribbles - dude is found out by a Tribble and then a tricorder scan. He was a "guest" / VIP to a station, not a ship.

Trials and Tribble-ations - same dude found out by a tribble again, but he'd found a way to mask his life signs.

Sisko, Odo (human), O'Brien - Klingons in Apocalypse Rising. Apparently seemed ok to security. They had devices with them though, can't remember if they did anything re: life signs.

Picard and Data as Romulans (those were just prosthetics).

First Contact (episode not film) Riker is altered outwardly but a hospital figures out he's an alien as soon as they x-ray him.

Yet no one is like whinging about those episodes. He's not made it back to Discovery yet! Hang on! Let them tell the story.

I'm just saying - he will end up being Voq somehow.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-10-17 08:48am
Thanas wrote: 2017-10-17 08:17am
Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-10-17 08:13am Cos that's L'Rell, the woman from the last few episodes. And Lt Ashley Tyler is Voq in disguise. He's been altered (and possibly had his memories changed) and he's going to be a Spy on the discovery. The Tribble that Lorca keeps on his desk will be Voq's undoing in the end.
Please tell me you are not serious.
Totally. That's definitely L'Rell - and she's descended from Spies. And it's the same actor playing Voq and Ashley. And Lorca has a Tribble which detects Klingons in disguise (Trouble with Tribbles). And then they conveniently escaped back to the Discovery, the single ship the Klingons are looking for.
Voq and Ash Tyler have different actors.
Voq is portrayed Javid Iqbal.
Ash Tyler is portrayed by Shazad Latif.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

tezunegari wrote: 2017-10-17 06:12pm
Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-10-17 08:48am
Thanas wrote: 2017-10-17 08:17am

Please tell me you are not serious.
Totally. That's definitely L'Rell - and she's descended from Spies. And it's the same actor playing Voq and Ashley. And Lorca has a Tribble which detects Klingons in disguise (Trouble with Tribbles). And then they conveniently escaped back to the Discovery, the single ship the Klingons are looking for.
Voq and Ash Tyler have different actors.

Check out Iqbal's IMDB.

It's the only entry. Nothing else. Literally nothing else. Just his name and that role. It's a pseudonym.

Note that Latif has been credited for every episode so far... ;-)
NecronLord wrote:
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

tezunegari wrote: 2017-10-17 06:12pm Voq and Ash Tyler have different actors.
They might have different actors. Javid Iqbal is a ghost and Shazad Latif was originally cast as a Klingon.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Javid = "eternal"
Iqbal = "luck"/"prosperity"/"success"
:roll:

And to think the writers sold the producers this "twist" as a top-secret secret!

If it isn't, damn, that's a cool name to get!
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This plan of theirs sounds mega stupid. What is to guarantee that Lorca does not just transfer the altered dude off the ship?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Thanas wrote: 2017-10-17 08:04pm This plan of theirs sounds mega stupid. What is to guarantee that Lorca does not just transfer the altered dude off the ship?
I was thinking that; there's a war on, lots of losses, Starfleet would want to put experienced crew on new or rookie ships. Especially combat vets. Keeping him would be another "ZE PLOTZ DEMNDZ!!'' Moment
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Thanas wrote: 2017-10-17 08:04pm This plan of theirs sounds mega stupid. What is to guarantee that Lorca does not just transfer the altered dude off the ship?
The writers have shown a tendency to brute force events to follow the chain they want, even if that requires stupid and inconsistent decisions. Starfleet can get a fleet to the borders in hours, but can't get reinforcements to a key dilithium production facility. For some reason the Discovery is so far from the starbase that after the meeting the Klingons can sneak a battlecruiser in and grab Lorca. Somehow they already have the intelligence to actually do that. Then there's conveniently dropped off Klingons on the Glenn without a Klingon warship anywhere to be found and all the bad decisions involving the tardigrade. Voq waiting until his crew is starving to try and salvage a Federation dilithium processor. And so on. So it's going to work by way of writer's fiat.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2017-10-17 06:41pm
tezunegari wrote: 2017-10-17 06:12pm Voq and Ash Tyler have different actors.
They might have different actors. Javid Iqbal is a ghost and Shazad Latif was originally cast as a Klingon.

Shazad Latif's original name was Iqbal...

It's the same guy.
NecronLord wrote:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2017-10-18 12:19am
The writers have shown a tendency to brute force events to follow the chain they want, even if that requires stupid and inconsistent decisions. Starfleet can get a fleet to the borders in hours, but can't get reinforcements to a key dilithium production facility. For some reason the Discovery is so far from the starbase that after the meeting the Klingons can sneak a battlecruiser in and grab Lorca. Somehow they already have the intelligence to actually do that. Then there's conveniently dropped off Klingons on the Glenn without a Klingon warship anywhere to be found and all the bad decisions involving the tardigrade. Voq waiting until his crew is starving to try and salvage a Federation dilithium processor. And so on. So it's going to work by way of writer's fiat.
Yeah, also do not forget that the klingons can sneak a huge battlecruiser deep within fed territory but cannot use more than three little birds of prey to bomb the shields of said production facility.

It is just so fucking bad and atrocious writing.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote: 2017-10-16 06:03amThe ending: W T F ?! Subtle way to say mirror universe... or mushroom clone... or worse.
It's only a WTF if you're sure the mirror is simply a reflective surface. If it's a holographic mirror, like the one Micheal used in the previous episode, it's just a computer glitch.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Johnathan Archer was namedropped.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zor wrote: 2017-10-18 01:46pm Johnathan Archer was namedropped.
As was Pike.

That said....including Archer does not serve to get my jollies up, that genocidal maniac can stay outside trek for all I care.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Speaking of genocidal maniacs, maybe that's why we didn't see Garth of Izar on that list, even though Captain Kirk said he was required reading at Starfleet Academy (TOS: Dagger of the Mind). Unless they haven't reached that period of Trek history and they're saving Axanar and Captain Garth's exploits for a future story arc.

As for Jonathan Archer...we're stuck with him in all universes, even the Mirror Universe. :P
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

They killed that movie on purpose, for this shit to live, remember?
They might want to stop the name dropping. Especially since those guys are both in Starfleet right this second. And Pike especially. MIKEY and the actual son of Sarek, well that could just be awkward...
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the writers think that name dropping is all they need to do to maintain continuity.
Darth Lucifer wrote: 2017-10-18 05:21pm Speaking of genocidal maniacs, maybe that's why we didn't see Garth of Izar on that list, even though Captain Kirk said he was required reading at Starfleet Academy (TOS: Dagger of the Mind). Unless they haven't reached that period of Trek history and they're saving Axanar and Captain Garth's exploits for a future story arc.
Or whoever wrote the list of captains hasn't watched TOS.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Now 'Discovery' has been accused of plagiarizing the 2014 computer game 'Tardigrades', in which tardigrades are used for interstellar travel.
anastronaut wrote:Tardigrades production announcement was on May 8th 2014. The devlog can be found here. The game is about a civilization that lived on Earth 20,000 years ago. They are on the verge of intergalactic travel using giant Tardigrades to travel anywhere in the universe. The main character, Carter, is a botanist whom will discover later in the game the connection between the super tough creature and instantaneous space travel. I've made several promo videos that can be found on my YouTube channel that show my ideas of space travel using giant Tardigrades.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-10-02 11:43am Ok, I am going to have to watch this on DVD, but I have heard it viewed from a review (from someone who got triggered by lack of white men) saying that the Klingons are being invaded by the Federation, and the Klingons are allegory for white nationalists and the Federation are allegory for those advocate open borders or something.
The writers for the show INTENTIONALLY tried to trigger people.
Business Insider article, dated September 22, 2017 wrote:Aaron Haberts, a co-executive producer on the show, told the outlet that Donald Trump's candidacy was "front and center in our minds" when they started putting the series together in 2015.

Haberts said one of the antagonist groups on "Star Trek: Discovery" is an extremist Klingon sect, whose rallying cry, "Remain Klingon," the show made intentionally similar to Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan.

"It's a call to isolationism," Haberts said of the slogan. "It's about racial purity, and it's about wanting to take care of yourself. And if anybody is reaching a hand out to help you, it's about smacking it away.

"That was pretty provocative for us," he continued. "And it wasn't necessarily something that we wanted to completely lean into. But it was happening. We were hearing the stories."
Personally, I doubt alienating your own audience this way is smart. Do the writers assume "'Star Wars' is for Republicans, 'Star Trek' is for Democrats- fuck the Republicans!" and there are no people like myself (a Chinese-American) who happen to like BOTH franchises, when COMPETENTLY WRITTEN?

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Holy shit they completely ripped off that game designer.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sidewinder wrote: 2017-10-19 02:13pm
mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-10-02 11:43am Ok, I am going to have to watch this on DVD, but I have heard it viewed from a review (from someone who got triggered by lack of white men) saying that the Klingons are being invaded by the Federation, and the Klingons are allegory for white nationalists and the Federation are allegory for those advocate open borders or something.
The writers for the show INTENTIONALLY tried to trigger people.
Business Insider article, dated September 22, 2017 wrote:Aaron Haberts, a co-executive producer on the show, told the outlet that Donald Trump's candidacy was "front and center in our minds" when they started putting the series together in 2015.

Haberts said one of the antagonist groups on "Star Trek: Discovery" is an extremist Klingon sect, whose rallying cry, "Remain Klingon," the show made intentionally similar to Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan.

"It's a call to isolationism," Haberts said of the slogan. "It's about racial purity, and it's about wanting to take care of yourself. And if anybody is reaching a hand out to help you, it's about smacking it away.

"That was pretty provocative for us," he continued. "And it wasn't necessarily something that we wanted to completely lean into. But it was happening. We were hearing the stories."
Personally, I doubt alienating your own audience this way is smart. Do the writers assume "'Star Wars' is for Republicans, 'Star Trek' is for Democrats- fuck the Republicans!" and there are no people like myself (a Chinese-American) who happen to like BOTH franchises, when COMPETENTLY WRITTEN?
First of all, I don't see anything about Star Wars there, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Second of all, I have absolutely no objection to them addressing political issues in Star Trek. It can be well-done or badly-done, but given that pretty much any topic can have political implications, there's really no way to avoid political implications in a show like this, and if you try, you're probably going to get something completely vapid.

And in my experience, whenever people rage about how 'they're politicizing (insert fictional franchise here)" and they just want it to be "well-written" and not political... what they more or less invariably mean is "I don't want it to have a political message I DISAGREE WITH."

Pretty much nobody really wants their entertainment to be apolitical. Nor is it possible for it to be so.

And Star Trek has always been fairly political. I'd be more surprised if they didn't address the Donald.

I also object strongly to the implication that "anti-Trump=only for Democrats". Since when was objecting to a traitorous, bigoted, authoritarian sexual predator a single-party issue? Trump has glaring flaws which transcend (or ought to transcend) any single party platform.

If they alienate some viewers by being "political", good on them. It means they're at least actually standing for something, rather than pretending to be "balanced" and "not political" (ie vapid drivel which is either too cynical or too cowardly to stand for anything).

Now, from everything I've heard (I haven't had a chance to watch it yet), and from the teasers, Discovery has plenty of other flaws. But there's nothing wrong with being political, or even taking a political stand. Its a question of how you present it. Ham-fisted preaching usually sucks, in my experience, but that's hardly the only way to do it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Thanas wrote: 2017-10-19 02:37pm Holy shit they completely ripped off that game designer.
No, they used a similar idea. A complete rip off would include the 20,000 year old civilization. And in DSC, tartigrades aren't actually required for it.

It's a similar idea, but you cannot copyright ideas. He has no leg to stand on.
NecronLord wrote:
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-19 08:23pm If they alienate some viewers by being "political", good on them. It means they're at least actually standing for something, rather than pretending to be "balanced" and "not political" (ie vapid drivel which is either too cynical or too cowardly to stand for anything).
When done incompetently, such messages can do far more harm to the political movement it's meant to support, than the movement's own opponents. Remember the film No Pressure, and the outrage it aroused?

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-10-20 06:44am
Thanas wrote: 2017-10-19 02:37pm Holy shit they completely ripped off that game designer.
No, they used a similar idea. A complete rip off would include the 20,000 year old civilization. And in DSC, tartigrades aren't actually required for it.

Are you serious? The design of the animal is the same. The animations are nearly the same. The basic concept is the same.

He definitely has more than a leg to stand on and should sue.

BTW why are you so ardently defending STD?
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sidewinder wrote: 2017-10-20 07:11am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-10-19 08:23pm If they alienate some viewers by being "political", good on them. It means they're at least actually standing for something, rather than pretending to be "balanced" and "not political" (ie vapid drivel which is either too cynical or too cowardly to stand for anything).
When done incompetently, such messages can do far more harm to the political movement it's meant to support, than the movement's own opponents. Remember the film No Pressure, and the outrage it aroused?
Well, yes, as I said, it can be done well or badly.

I just think its silly to object to them addressing politics, or Trump specifically, at all. Of course they will, and they should.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Thanas wrote: 2017-10-20 08:15am
Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-10-20 06:44am

Are you serious? The design of the animal is the same. The animations are nearly the same. The basic concept is the same.

He definitely has more than a leg to stand on and should sue.

BTW why are you so ardently defending STD?
It's a tardigrade. They didn't "design" the animal, they took the animal and its movements from actual life, same as the game designer did.