Star Trek: Discovery

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by Patroklos »

Characters you don't care about acting so stupid you overtly root against them.

Its like Alien: Covenent, only episodically. At least you were rewarded in that film by witnessing the predictable results of there stupidity. No such luck with these random actors masquerading as characters. They are going to be with us for a bit.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-10-09 05:12pmThen these hard sci-fi complaints make this thread even more depressing than it already is. If Trek has never given the impression it's hard sci-fi and instead is nothing more than social commentary in a different setting, who gives a shit about supply lines?
The Enterprise being the only ship available to investigate the Negative Space Wedgie is acceptable, because it's an unforeseen circumstance. To have the hero ship being the only one available to fend off an attack on probably your most important source of a strategic resource, and only because it can teleport, is beyond the pale.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

houser2112 wrote: 2017-10-10 08:08am The Enterprise being the only ship available to investigate the Negative Space Wedgie is acceptable, because it's an unforeseen circumstance. To have the hero ship being the only one available to fend off an attack on probably your most important source of a strategic resource, and only because it can teleport, is beyond the pale.
The idea of a science vessel being used as Lorca describes is also absurd. Teleporting in solo to places like Kronos, as if the problem was purely getting there and not the firepower at the other end.
Dragon Clan Veritech
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

We now have two named female characters dead through their own stupidity. I hope this doesn't become a trend.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I'll cool the trend as long as we get to one in patrticular. You gotta break some eggs.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Holy shit, I had to take a break after Tactical Officer Whatsherface went full retard and unleashed the beastie. That was catastrophic stupidity.

And I dug the hell out of the pilot, too...gah.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Don't fret, it'll lead towards optimism

I'm... kinda tired of dark stories that think you have to go through the ringer to be 'lead to' optimism.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

SEEMINGLY
SEEMINGLY??

Jesus Q Christ on a pogo stick....
There's faith, and there's the kind that has you screaming HEIL HITLER!! as you go down the chute to DIS with a noose around your neck
This is THAT
:shock:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I'm happy with and enjoy dark stories...if they are smart and/or well-written. This is neither.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The most impressive part of the latest episode is that they managed to make the pilot even stupider. Lets take two bits:

The Shenzou being abandoned
Which means that the plan to capture T'Kuvma was:
- Hit his ship with a torpedo warhead. An explosive designed to kill enemy ships.
- Hope that the warp core doesn't explode. When it's probably using antimatter.
- Hope that the cloaking tech, which they have never seen before, isn't volatile enough to start a chain reaction.
- Hope that he is exactly where they thought he was.
- Beam over a boarding party of only two people.
Now we have another stupid step:
- Escape in a ship so crippled that the Federation abandoned it.

Then we have Micheal trying to manipulate Saru because it was 'necessary' in order to see how if his danger sense reacted to her plan. We learn that she has been mistreating him for years. Captain Georgiou didn't stop it. He never got transferred to another ship.

Q99 wrote: 2017-10-10 10:23pm Don't fret, it'll lead towards optimism

I'm... kinda tired of dark stories that think you have to go through the ringer to be 'lead to' optimism.
From memory, DS9 started with optimism then went dark as things got worse. Not starting off dark and going fucktard.
If you're among those worried about the changes brought on by "Discovery," the producers have some advice for you: Just wait a little bit.
Be sure to keep paying for CBS All Access while you wait.

Question: Is waiting for the full season to be out, paying for one month, then watching all of STD Season 1 going to be an option for those in the US ?

"It's very easy to be optimistic when everything is going well," he said. "It's much much harder when you are compromised in many different ways. We're saying it's sometimes hard to hang on to your morals and ideals. But when you do, it's personally more satisfying."
So far, the only characters in STD that have attempted to hold onto their morals are T'Kuvma and Voq.

I'll also point out that the Klingons left their only ship with a cloaking device crippled, without any attempt to resupply, for 6 months. Letting Voq's followers starve until another house makes a play for the cloaking device. Which means that Klingon politics might become interesting.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-10-11 11:14am Then we have Micheal trying to manipulate Saru because it was 'necessary' in order to see how if his danger sense reacted to her plan. We learn that she has been mistreating him for years. Captain Georgiou didn't stop it. He never got transferred to another ship.
Yeah, nice to see the heroine of the story being an unprofesssional asshole not just under periods of high stress and untreated PTSD, but under normal circumstances as well.
I'll also point out that the Klingons left their only ship with a cloaking device crippled, without any attempt to resupply, for 6 months. Letting Voq's followers starve until another house makes a play for the cloaking device. Which means that Klingon politics might become interesting.
Yeah, that was another nice plothole.

Also nice that they left without even scavenging/scanning/exploiting the federation ship that was apparently still salvagable. I mean you surely would not want to learn anything about your hated enemy right?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So without taking too long to comment on all of the things WRONG with the episode...
I would like to state that so far my favorite character... Is Voq the Albino.

I mean, he is basically promoting a rather progressive, egalitarian philosophy.
"No one should bend a knee to another" "We should not fight among our selves" "We must all share the burden together"

I mean, everything he and T'kuma had been preaching is stuff that it sounds like the Klingons (or at least this shows version of Klingons) really NEED in terms of unity. It is just a shame their, philosophy, is built on a foundation of Xenophobic Warmongering.....
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-10-09 05:02pm Question: Has Trek ever been hard sci-fi?

no
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Did the female Klingon that returned to Voq, steal the raider ship from the other Klingon that "rescued them", or did they have them the whole time on T'Kuvma's ship? If they had them the whole time, then why not send out hunting parties to nearby systems, for food?
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

biostem wrote: 2017-10-11 05:22pm Did the female Klingon that returned to Voq, steal the raider ship from the other Klingon that "rescued them", or did they have them the whole time on T'Kuvma's ship? If they had them the whole time, then why not send out hunting parties to nearby systems, for food?
It was Never explicitly stated where she got the Raider.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

So, as in TNG, they still (sorry, already) don't have a protocol for scuttling abandoned vessels.

And the drive needs an organic pilot.... the Andromeda vibe keeps growing.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I am pretty sure upwards of 25% of TNG involves a self destruct plot device. They know how to scuttle a ship. Hell, they have a hard enough time keeping ships from exploding when they don't want them to...
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Omeganian wrote: 2017-10-12 03:21am So, as in TNG, they still (sorry, already) don't have a protocol for scuttling abandoned vessels.

And the drive needs an organic pilot.... the Andromeda vibe keeps growing.
Lob a couple torps as the ship carrying Georgiou's telescope was departing, and call it a day...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Scuttling the ship would have been easy. The problem is that nobody gave the order. Would Micheal or Saru have been in charge at the time ?
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-10-12 04:55am Scuttling the ship would have been easy. The problem is that nobody gave the order. Would Micheal or Saru have been in charge at the time ?
They were in a contested area of space, and there was basically no reinforcements to be had at that point, so leaving the ship intact was basically inviting it to be plundered by the enemy... We don't really know what Starfleet's protocol is, in such a situation, (especially given the questionable tactics already depicted).

One other question - yes, Michael is technically a mutineer, but given that she was specifically chosen to accompany the captain that she attacked a short time earlier, to go on an away mission, with no other support, doesn't that basically mean that the captain no longer saw her as a threat to her command, (and thus, no longer a mutineer)?
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Omeganian wrote: 2017-10-12 03:21am And the drive needs an organic pilot.... the Andromeda vibe keeps growing.
Heh it was Dune vibes for me
NecronLord wrote:
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-10-12 05:30am
Omeganian wrote: 2017-10-12 03:21am And the drive needs an organic pilot.... the Andromeda vibe keeps growing.
A mentat named "Ripper"? Or do you mean those spacer union navigator guys?
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

biostem wrote: 2017-10-12 06:00am
And ones inhaling some mysterious organic space powder.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

biostem wrote: 2017-10-12 06:00am
Spice Navigators. Using spices (spores) from a rare plant (mushroom) and requiring someone "in tune" with the spice (eats the fungus) to navigate the infinitely complex passageways and wormholes and space folding (enter DASH drive).
NecronLord wrote:
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Oh man, this show. Some things I like and some things are terrible. It's really a reboot, of course, not "totally the original continuity, 10 years before TOS. Totally", but that's not really problem. The issues though.

-I liked the conflict between "Starfleet doesn't shoot first" and "blindly following the general rules when dealing with the motherfucking Klingons might not be a good idea." That Burnham's attempt at mutiny has serious consequences for her instead of being hugged out at the end of the episode was also good as was having her cataclysmicly fuck up and kill T'kumva. Vulcan raised human succumbs to emotion and fucks the pooch isn't what I expected Star Trek to open with and I respected it.

-Burnham's parents being killed by a Klingon bombing of a Vulcan learning center doesn't sound very Klingon. There's a lot of places they could go with it from "they were intending to hit somewhere else" to "they were criminal exiles" to "it wasn't Klingons" so I'm interested as opposed to outraged.

-I don't like the Klingon redesign. I do respect and the support the idea of Klingons from different houses and planets having different styles and looks, as if its a big goddamn empire, but putting some of that effort into adding additional species to the Klingon Empire instead of giving us hairless Klingons would have been a better choice. The Klingon EVA suit is nice though.

-I generally like most of the cast, even if the bit about Saru sensing death makes me roll my eyes, this is a series with psychic powers and god aliens. It's still silly.

-I'm aboard with keeping the effects in a similar style to the original series, but the phaser/photon effects don't look that good to me. A little more boldness here, I think would have been better. The Battle of the Binary Stars seemed lackluster to me, with pewee-pewee phasers that didn't seem to do much and an unnecessary ramming scene.

-I get what they're going for with the diverse Klingon ship designs, but I don't much like them.

-Jason Isaacs is a great casting choice for a Section 31 Captain.

-Two people beaming alone to T'kuvma's ship. Beyond dumb and if you're going to Worf the Klingons in the very next episode, at least let them kill some security mooks to build up some badass cred, although killing Georgiou didn't hurt. I didn't expect them to wack Michelle Yeoh in the pilot.

-Didn't like Magic Phaser Bear and mycellum space lanes. Trek has done biotech magic before, but I've never cared for it.

-I liked Rekha Sharma as Landry with her swagger and smug "Vulcans should stick to logic" crack on Vulcan martial arts. To then whack her in such a fucking stupid fashion ("I'll totally tranq a critter with a poorly understood biology and open its cell. If something goes wrong, I have this phaser which I already know won't fucking work to protect me. Nothing can go wrong.") was wasteful and pointless.

-Giant plot hole of Klingons on the Glenn. How did they get there? Oh yeah, a space ship. Where is it? Why didn't it burn the Glenn to ash or drag it away as a prize, attack the Discovery, or signal for reinforcements? Oh, that's right. They're only there to drop of the guys who will get Worfed to show that the Magic Phaser Bear is dangerous and then wander away. Jesus.

-Stupid mounts with next episode. I'll leave the whole "let's poorly defend the single largest source of a critical war material" because everyone else has been there. T'kumva's legacy apparently commands such respect that his ship drifts crippled for six months until Kol decides to make a play for the cloaking device. Voq is so concerned that his ship remain "pure" that he won't salvage Federation tech until after the point where his crew are eating the enemy dead. This in the midst of all out war, although to be fair how much unity do you need against he geniuses who can't be bothered to defend the source of 40% of their dilithium from a handful of bird of prey?

-It's looking like they're treating The Final Reflection the way the Scarlet Spires treat the past, as something to mined for useful tidbits rather than something to understood and respected in its own right. I may like references to The Black Fleet, but the Black Fleet as an afterlife was a metaphor for how glory and fame are what survive death not some place that could spill out spiritual reinforcements like Judeo-Christian heaven.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.