Star Trek into Darkness - Synopsis

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Star Trek into Darkness - Synopsis

Post by Batman »

Oh frabjous day. So it's a manhunt on some other world that likely as not is going to end up looking suspiciously like some iteration of Earth. I want 'Star Trek', not the 23rd century version of 'First Blood'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

TOSDOC wrote:
I'm currently favoring the Alternate Trelane or Arne Davin.
Wasn't Arne Darvin the Scooby Doo villian of the week?
Well...
Spoiler
...w've also known for a while that the Klingons would have some involvement in the sequel and the synopsis could finally explain their role. We know the Klingon Empire suffered heavy losses to the Narada and Starfleet's losses at Vulcan and Earth were equally devastating. Neither power is in the best of shape, which means the Klingon military -- or at least elements of it -- could be taking advantage of the situation.

There's precedence for it given the Klingon Defense Force has had its share of rogue elements in the Prime Reality (ex. General Chang). If they're working with this one man weapon, it could explain why he attacked Starfleet at ground zero. And the war-zone could very well be the Federation-Klingon border or the Neutral Zone.

Finally, the Federation losses to the Narada are comparable to the losses the Borg inflicted at Wolf 359 in the Prime Reality. It could be easy for a Klingon operative to sneak into the heart of the Federation in times like these.
Macunaima
Padawan Learner

Post by Macunaima »

JME2 wrote:
Srelex wrote:Sounds like Gary Mitchell to me.
The IDW comics already used him and adapted that episode for their opening arc, but the film may ignore it.

Personally, I think the guy may be Garth of Izar, from Whom Gods Destroy (TOS S3). He was Starfleet, and as Gary has already been used on the comics, and Khan would not really fit on the premise hinted by the synopsis (besides being too obvious).
Some says I offend people. It's a mistake. I treat them as adults. I criticize. Something so uncommon in our press that people thinks it's offensive. -- Paulo Francis

When the first charlatan found the first moron, there was born the first god. -- Millor Fernandes
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Teaser Trailer;

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

People are still going on about it being Kahn. I doubt it. Cumberbatch is a white guy. Him as Kahn would be really hard to accept.

The trailer doesn't seem like its for a Star Trek movie. It seems like its for a super hero action movie. However, it looks like it could be a good super hero action movie.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

And the Inception button strikes at Star Trek.

I am more convinced than ever that this will be Gary Mitchell. Blonde chick in the science uniform looks like a dead ringer for Dr. Dehner (the haircut does anyway).

Also apparently there is a Japanese trailer that is the same as the U.S. one until the last moment, when it has a shot that really rings of "Wrath of Khan":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rHlQUXFzfw
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I have some guesses about the story of the film. I kind of hope I'm wrong because I want to be surprised.

Some predictions:

1. The villain is Mitchell.

2. The blond girl is indeed Dr. Dehner.

3. She will be a love interest for Kirk, and in a triangle with him and Mitchell.

4. As in the Mitchell episode, she will die.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

The Romulan Republic wrote:People are still going on about it being Kahn. I doubt it. Cumberbatch is a white guy. Him as Kahn would be really hard to accept.
Well, Khan's technically not really Indian as he was probably born in a test tube, and even then they could have him change his appearance.

Also, you can see Cumberbatch's character beating up Klingons (who wear silvery helmets like they did in the 2009 movie's deleted scene on Rura Penthe).
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Good. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Klingons.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Part of the problem with using Mitchell is that I don't know how the Galactic Barrier would play to modern audiences.

Granted, if they can buy a black hole time portal, red matter, and a galaxy-wide supernova, then it could work.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I don't think they could have included Gary Mitchell without utterly telegraphing that he would be a future villain, had he been in the first movie, THIS would have made him the no. 2 candidate by association, besides Kahn...because it's... the second ... movie.

What did he do in the comic books though, could that have been a back door introduction for this?

Why is the Enterprise pulling an Atlantis, is it just to evoke the imagery from the first one where it popped out of Saturn's rings? :roll: The enterprise is riiiiising... majestically or malevolently... either way wooooo :roll:
TOSDOC wrote:
Wasn't Arne Darvin the Scooby Doo villian of the week?
"At last I will have my vengeance"? Arne could be channeling some serious Darth Maul, if he's NOT the Nutrek version and managed to somehow follow Nero over from the original universe, but I would walk out of the theater immediately, because I'm not gonna take him seriously after the DS9 episode and he's way too young here.

I would like it to be Garth, but it's probably Mitchell.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Garth's sounds a better runner-up to Mitchell than Khan, and would need less exposition to explain "his return" and motive for vengeance against Starfleet, as well as his powers, to satisfy both fans and newcomers. The trailer makes it look like he's in a center chair too.

The chick really looks like Dehner, tho.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I just watched the Japanese trailer, and
Spoiler
damn if it doesn't look and sound like the end of Wrath of Khan with Kirk and Spock saying goodbye to each other.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I hate to say it champ but if it's Gary Mitchell, that could easily be the backstory. The desire to endlessly rehash Star Trek stories is bizarre.

And seriously, 'explain his powers'? I'll explain his powers - The Avengers made fifty billion trillion dollars, that's why he has powers. The trailer interests me.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner

Post by TOSDOC »

I hate to say it champ but if it's Gary Mitchell, that could easily be the backstory. The desire to endlessly rehash Star Trek stories is bizarre.
You're right, let's include Charlie X on the list of villians, chasing Rand.
And seriously, 'explain his powers'? I'll explain his powers - The Avengers made fifty billion trillion dollars, that's why he has powers.
That's the best explanation yet.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Themightytom wrote:I don't think they could have included Gary Mitchell without utterly telegraphing that he would be a future villain, had he been in the first movie, THIS would have made him the no. 2 candidate by association, besides Kahn...because it's... the second ... movie.

What did he do in the comic books though, could that have been a back door introduction for this?
I didn't read the comic but based on Memory Beta (the non-canon Trek wiki) events went down similar to "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with some exceptions. Dr. Dehner is not in the comic (saved for the film maybe?), Kelso is forced to shoot himself by Mitchell instead of strangled and the fight between Kirk and Mitchell ends when Spock sneaks up, nerve pinches him and Kirk shoots him, instead of burying him under a VW-sized boulder. Mitchell and Kelso (who can't get luck in either timeline apparently) are buried in space.

The writers insist "clues" for the film were laid out in several comics, that issue being one of them. I have no clue how the hell they can fit that into the film as back-story, or just info-dump. Unless its not Mitchell of course (still possible). But, it would make sense for the revenge angle.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Stark wrote:I hate to say it champ but if it's Gary Mitchell, that could easily be the backstory. The desire to endlessly rehash Star Trek stories is bizarre.

And seriously, 'explain his powers'? I'll explain his powers - The Avengers made fifty billion trillion dollars, that's why he has powers. The trailer interests me.
Yeah, same here. Ultimately I don't care about who the villain is, but I think it's Mitchell. "Into Darkness" sounds like going into the darkness of intergalactic space as well as the darkness within.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Stark wrote:I hate to say it champ but if it's Gary Mitchell, that could easily be the backstory. The desire to endlessly rehash Star Trek stories is bizarre.

The Avengers also did it without soaking the whole movie in grimdark, which that trailer is full of (and which I'm honestly sick of in big-budget movies). This trailer has me concerned.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Am I the only one who immediately thought 'STAR TREK: THE DARK KNIGHT'?
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

the atom wrote:Am I the only one
The answer is always no.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm not sure I really have any substantial problems with Benedict Cumberbatch as Space Captain Alex Mercer.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ford Prefect wrote:I'm not sure I really have any substantial problems with Benedict Cumberbatch as Space Captain Alex Mercer.
He has the potential to be an interesting villain, so I'm waiting for more footage on that score.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

the atom wrote:Am I the only one who immediately thought 'STAR TREK: THE DARK KNIGHT'?
Nope. For a moment there I thought I was watching a trailer for the Dark Knight....
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It reminds me more of Avengers than The Dark Knight.
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:
the atom wrote:Am I the only one
The answer is always no.
Twas rhetorical!
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."