To Boldly Go (Staff your own Starship)RAR

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Re: To Boldly Go (Staff your own Starship)RAR

Post by StarSword »

After an extensive search of Memory Alpha for Starfleet capital warships that don't violate the rules, I have settled on the Saber-class as my final choice. According to the DS9 Technical Manual, it measures 364 meters (same size as the Norway-class that Eternal_Freedom used). It's also extremely fast.

So I'm reposting with an additional command crew member, the communications officer.

Affiliation: Maquis (rogue Starfleet vessel)

Stock Vessel Class: Saber-class light cruiser

Ship Name: USS Mjolnir

Mission Profile: Protect Federation citizens in the DMZ from Cardassian and Dominion depredation, never mind Starfleet Command's unconscionable misinterpretation of the Prime Directive. (Picard's an idiot. :mrgreen:) The Saber is designed as a light cruiser with a top speed of warp 9.7, making it faster than any contemporary vessel in the Alpha Quadrant. Its firepower is also decent, as it mounts four type-10 phasers (as opposed to the Galaxy-class's type-8).

First Officer: Darth Revan (SW:KOTOR)

Communications Officer (NEW): Zakarisz Ghent (first appearance Heir to the Empire). A slicer first hired by smuggler chieftain and information broker Talon Karrde, he later becomes New Republic Intelligence's Chief of Cryptography. When he was twelve years old, he single-handedly cracked the ILKO code used during the Death Star construction inside two months, a feat that took a month for an entire team of Rebel cryptologists.

Science Officer: Dr. Daniel Jackson, Ph.D. (Stargate series)

Security and Tactical: Canderous Ordo (SW:KOTOR)

Engineering: Mahi Ma (X3: Terran Conflict)

Helmsman: Capt. Hikaru Sulu (ST:TOS)

Medical: Geentech/Industrial Automaton 2-1B Surgical Droid (SW:TESB)

Counselor: Jolee Bindo (SW:KOTOR)
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

Affiliation: Maquis. I hate the TNG era Federation and everything it stands for, especially the Genocide Prime Directive. I’m here to fight for the people, by the people, and with the people, even if most of these people have nothing to do with the conflict and some of them aren’t going to be human.

Stock Vessel Class: Akira-class. A Defiant class would be too a obvious choice. I like the Akira because it’s stocky (heh) and its nacelles don’t scream out with a huge “Shoot me here to cripple the ship” sign.

Ship Name: Nomad.

Mission Profile: Our goal is to free the colonists from the Cardassian/Dominion and the Federation, and help create a space of sanity in the Alpha Quadrant. Our greatest weapon will be surprise, surprise and unbridled badassery. Basically we’re Star Trek’s answer to the Inglorious Bastards.

First Officer: Bright Noah (Mobile Suit Gundam). Going for the resume here, Bright Noah has that perfect combination of competence and awesome to make him best choice as First Officer. At the age of 19 his first command of acting captain of the White Base saw him skillfully maneuver a ship with nothing more than a skeleton crew of mostly civilian refugees and one child prodigy through hostile enemy territory and delivered three experimental weapons back to the Earth Federation. If Noah were in charge of the Stargazer he would have brought it back in tact and there’d be a whole book filled with the awesome new tactics he invented. Also should we come into close combat with the Jem’Hadar his fearsome special move known as the “Bright Slap” will make the Jem’Hadar be all like “We cannot defeat this man, only kill him”.

Science Officer: John Crithon (Farscape). I said our chief weapons are surprise and badassery. Crithon is a badass, but it’s his knowledge of worm holes and that super slingshot equation that’s going to help us surprise some bastards. Now yes John, I am using you for your wormhole knowledge, and it will be used for military purposes, but at least I’m not going to torture you for it. Also Crithon’s love of modern pop culture will give me some grounding and serve to confuse a universe that probably only knows cartoons as a form of “ancient Earth transmission”. Christ if I don’t have someone to ground me I’m probably going to go postal on his whole bloody century.

Security: Michael Garibaldi (Babylon 5). Also going for the resume here. The man knows both how to do his job and knows not to get involved with his own job. Also Michael’s child like love for old Warner Bros. cartoons will help him form an instant bond with Crithon, and those two will soon become the ship’s resident “Those Two Guys”. Just make sure no one lets him know that thanks to replicators we basically have unlimited to access to infinite booze.

Engineering: Tali’Zorah (Mass Effect). Welcome aboard Tali’Zorah vas Nomad. Given how any tech we bring from another universe turns into Star Trek tech, I’m gambling that any tech knowledge from one universe will translate into Star Trek tech knowledge. And if not, I’d rather trust someone who understands real science and technology then Star Trek’s technosorcery. Tali is brave, isn’t likely to crack under pressure, and names her combat drones. I’m sure Scotty would be proud. Her first assignment will be replacing all the bio-gel sacks with stuff that won’t be taken out by cheese. Finally rumors of our fraternization are being greatly exaggerated.

Helmsman: Jock (Deus Ex) This is where not letting Garibaldi know about synthahol becomes an issue because if I know Jock then I know that the man runs on beer. (Possible robot. Will investigate further.) A former black helicopter pilot for the Illuminati, I want someone who knows how to fly covert missions even if he’s shitfaced. I am aware that flying a chopper is pretty different from flying an Akira-class, but as long as he remembers to release the inertial dampers and to fly straight on ‘till morning we should do fine. We just have to make sure the beer isn’t warm.

Medical: Bishop (Aliens). Not THE Bishop mind you, but A Bishop. One programmed in medical knowledge/parlor knife tricks. To be blunt I have deep personal reasons for this choice. Sure Data thinks he’s all smart with his positronic brain and millions of computations a second, but I also bet he’d feel really stupid next to an android that actually gets human culture and emotions. Unlike Data and earlier androids from the Alien universe, I can also trust that Bishop will never go crazy and try to kill everyone on the ship. On another note, Bishop should make a great medical officer because the Three Laws of Robotics are almost identical to the Hippocratic Oath. That's because Hippocrates was a cylon.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Doctor Henry Killinger (Venture Brothers) I’m definitely going for more a diplomat here then a psychiatrist. If some whinny crewman is complaining really loud about “emotional duress” this and “post-traumatic stress syndrome” that then he can have a nice chat with Professor Air Lock. Then again Killinger says he has a degree in child psychology so I don’t know. The point is my perfect diplomat is Kissinger’s evil clone who has what can only be described as a “magic murder bag”. So if negations with the Romulans or the Vorta or what have you go south we can always just have him use the bag to devour their souls and call it day.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

[POST DELETED]
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

I just realized I had been spelling Crichton's name as Crithon the whole time. I apologize for that.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

More to the point, an Akira is waaay to big. If you read the OP, it has to be approximately the size of an Intrepid: ~350 metres long (+/- 10% or so). The Akira clocks in at 464 metres as per Memory Alpha.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:More to the point, an Akira is waaay to big. If you read the OP, it has to be approximately the size of an Intrepid: ~350 metres long (+/- 10% or so). The Akira clocks in at 464 metres as per Memory Alpha.
Memory Alpha wrote:The scale of the CGI mesh, according to a January 20, 1998 post in the newsgroup alt.tv.star-trek.ds9, by DS9 Visual Effects Supervisor David Stipes, was 860 feet or 262.13 meters, the length used when he blocked shots in DS9. [8] However, the measurement used by Visual Effects Supervisor Gary Hutzel, according to an in-house chart dated 5/15/98, was 840 feet.
This was the quote I read. I guess I confused the information on the production and CGI effects with the Technical Manual. Looks like I'll just have to be unoriginal and go with a Bird-of-Prey.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Since you say your plans rely heavily on surprise, you're probably better off with a cloaked ship anyway.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I was looking at the "Key Details" section, the part that list builder, equipment, armament and such.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

First Officer: Darth Revan (SW:KOTOR)

Communications Officer (NEW): Zakarisz Ghent (first appearance Heir to the Empire). A slicer first hired by smuggler chieftain and information broker Talon Karrde, he later becomes New Republic Intelligence's Chief of Cryptography. When he was twelve years old, he single-handedly cracked the ILKO code used during the Death Star construction inside two months, a feat that took a month for an entire team of Rebel cryptologists.

Science Officer: Dr. Daniel Jackson, Ph.D. (Stargate series)

Security and Tactical: Canderous Ordo (SW:KOTOR)

Engineering: Mahi Ma (X3: Terran Conflict)

Helmsman: Capt. Hikaru Sulu (ST:TOS)

Medical: Geentech/Industrial Automaton 2-1B Surgical Droid (SW:TESB)

Counselor: Jolee Bindo (SW:KOTOR)
Okay, Starsword. Now aside from Ghent, why do you want these people, specifically, to be your crew? I mean, your first officer is a Sith Lord, your doctor is a robot, and your helmsman outranks you.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As for picking Revan, I could understand the choice if he was Light side Revan. Otherwise he'd probably kill you, take over, and go occupy some innocent planet.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Affiliation: United Federation of Planets

Stock Vessel Class: Defiant-class starship.

Ship Name: USS Melbourne.

Mission Profile: Behind-the-lines style strategic commando strikes.

First Officer: Commander Shepard. Earthborn and a sole survivor. Mainly because I want to see his face when he learns how pleasant earth is in Star Trek.

Science Officer: Dr Mordin Solus.

Security/Tactical: Garrus Vakarian.

Engineering: Kahlee (from Firefly). Or Tali. Or both. Fuck you, I'm having both.

Helmsman: Han Solo.

Medical: Could there be anyone else? Bones McCoy.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Princess Leia Organa.

First order of business: find a cloaking device, either beg, borrow or steal it from someone. Use Federation replicator technology combined with out-of-universe expertise to try and tweak existing Federation weaponry/armour as much as possible, but the expertise the crew would bring is more for their experience and capacity to instruct others than technical know-how (although somebody like Tali and Mordin both have that in spades). Having Shepard lead away teams, and someone like Garrus to train Starfleet security personnel, would be what I have in mind. If I can't make phasers any different, then it's still important to have someone like Shepard and Garrus, who are both adept leaders, train and lead the goldshirts.

The Melbourne's mission would be hit-and-run guerilla attacks, with an aim towards fomenting a rebellion or insurgency. That's why I want Leia, given she's had experience with that. Also this mission could get us involved in smuggling as well as brushing up against criminal/underworld elements, so having Han along would be advantageous. Nevermind that fact he's an awesome pilot, and has plenty of experience in running away from bad guys.

The Defiant-class hasn't got much space aboard for proper science facilities as well as a proper medbay, but I figure that Mordin can make do with small facilities (certainly the Normandy SR2 didn't have a huge science lab), and Bones would complain regardless, but I wouldn't want anyone other than him to be my CMO. Also I'd love to see him interact with Mordin. Tali and Kahlee are both excellent engineers, but I would want both because one of them can also be on away teams (Tali) without compromising the ship's engineer in front-line combat (by having Kahlee stay behind on the ship).

with shepard in the team i'm sure we can win the war in just one playthrough
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Ahriman238 wrote:Okay, Starsword. Now aside from Ghent, why do you want these people, specifically, to be your crew? I mean, your first officer is a Sith Lord, your doctor is a robot, and your helmsman outranks you.
Well, most of it was a repost. I went into the reasons for each member of my command crew on the original. But what the hey. :mrgreen:

As TRR guessed, I was talking about light side Revan. (I tend to call both versions "Revan" and "Darth Revan" interchangeably.) Specifically, I want the Revan I wound up with at my last playthrough (classes were Scoundrel -> Jedi Guardian). Revan combines powerful combat skills, military command experience (in both the Mandalorian War and the Sith-Republic War), a smattering of technical skills, and great personal charisma. On Korriban for instance, I killed the headmaster of the Sith Academy, then talked his apprentice to the light side.

Daniel Jackson's specialties are linguistics and archaeology, and he's picked up a fair bit of physics and engineering as well. With his underlings picking up the slack, he'd do pretty well as a science officer.

I picked Canderous Ordo for Security and Tactical Officer because he's both an accomplished soldier and a smart tactician. At the Battle of Althir he even disregarded the original battle plan when he saw an opening in an enemy formation.

Mahi Ma, probably the least well-known character (for this board, at least), is an unbridled genius. During easily the most time-consuming plotline of X3: Terran Conflict, he rebuilds a millennia-old control hub for the galaxy's jumpgate system from scratch. (All the player does during the plot is fetch raw materials.)

Some of the other people in this thread chose fighter pilots for their helmsmen, but I wanted somebody who was proven at handling capital ships. (The Saber-class isn't as big as the Prometheus-class I used on my first post, but it's still a capital ship.) I actually wanted Tom Paris for the role (he's up there with Riker as one of Starfleet's top pilots, and he doesn't use treknobabble), but the thread rules stated you couldn't use 24th-century Trek characters. So I went with Sulu. And since a Saber-class is about the same size as a Constitution-class, he'll get along fine. (His rank didn't really enter into it. I simply make a habit of introducing people by their full rank and title.)

Like the EMH, Too-onebee is specifically designed to practice medicine, and exhibits a pretty decent skill set, from installing cybernetics to treating frostbite. And since Voyager's EMH did just fine as Chief Medical Officer, I don't see how a Too-onebee with access to Starfleet medical databases could do any worse. (Admittedly, I've read that a Starfleet vessel's CMO is also supposed to be the ship's chief xenobiologist, but that's a job better left in the science department.)

For Ship's Counselor, I picked Jolee Bindo, mainly because that's sorta the role he takes aboard the Ebon Hawk.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Oh, what the heck. I'm bored. Yes, I really like the DCU and Fallout.

Affiliation: Nominally, the Federation.

Stock Vessel Class: Saber-class.

Ship Name: Flying Flightless Bird

Mission Profile: Leroy Jenkins! I kid. Knight-errant cruising around assisting all in need, regardless of affiliation. Starfleet intelligence can have those I help when I'm done.

First Officer: Bruce Wayne. He's the goddamn Batman. Need I say anything more?

Science Officer: Vril Dox II (Brainiac II). Like with Batman, I don't think I need to say anything more. I'll probably have to pay him a lot with whatever is practical since he probably makes a fuckload more as the head of L.E.G.I.O.N.

Security: Joshua Graham. I'll order him to get a skin graft or something before assuming his duties, though. It's either him or John Stewart. Lanius is too bloodthirsty for my liking, even if he's supposed to be a better tactician than Graham.

Engineering: Michael Holt (I thought about using Lex Luthor, but that's a good way to have a mutiny on my hands. Not that having Brainiac II as my science officer would be much better, but at least he's not actively evil.)

Helmsman: Hal Jordan. I couldn't think of anyone else to put in there who's not from Star Wars.

Medical: Arcade Gannon. Decent enough doctor and a pretty good shot with a plasma pistol. He'll probably do fine with a hand phaser.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Diana Prince. She's friggin' royalty trained for this sort of thing (and kicking huge amounts of ass). Not sure if she's disqualified for the whole super-strength thing, though. If she is, I suppose I can go with Dennis Crocker, the NCR ambassador to New Vegas. Can't think of anybody else right now.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I might change my security officer from SGA Shepperd to Brother-Sergeant Learchus of the Ultramarines 4th Company. Not only is he an increidbly capable warrior (he's a Space Marine after all) but as seen in the Ultramarines omnibus (the story set on Tarsis Ultra) he is adept at training ordinary humans to fight properly (he trains up the civilian volunteers ho want to join the PDF).

Plus, the prospect of having him battling Jem'Hadar is just too juicy.

Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

What the heck, I'll give this a go even though I'm sure I'll wind up doing something wrong.

Affiliation: Federation

Stock Vessel Class: Nova Class

Ship Name: USS Edelweiss

Mission Profile: Equipment Procurement

First Officer: Col. John Sheppard (Stargate Atlantis). He kicks ass and is used to surviving against all odds. Can also double as a pilot if the situation requires it. If I want a mission carried out I'd know I could rely on him to get the job done.

Science Officer: Bucketworth (Cosmic Quantum Ray). Not sure if I can use characters from CQR or not. It is a sci-fi show. Bucketworth is a genius robot that knows just about everything there is to know about science, and has a gadget for just about any situation. Built a quantum computer operated robot double of someone once in his spare time. Perfect for this mission.

Security: Sergeant Cortez (Timesplitters: Future Perfect). Not only defeated a Timesplitters invasion but stopped it from happening in the first place. Given some of the odds he's faced and overcome, the Jem'hadar would be a walk in the park for him. Knows his way around security systems well enough to crack them in a heartbeat as well. He once reprogrammed a battle robot in about five seconds flat. Its next words were 'By your command'.

Engineering: Seamus Zelazny Harper (Andromeda). Do I have to explain this? He's an engineering genius and he's fun to boot. What he can't do with technology probably can't be done at all.

Helmsman: Atee & Geecey (Cosmic Quantum Ray). Twin alien pilots from the Tooferwun Galaxy. If they can pilot a multi-dimensional spacecraft at super fast speed then I'm sure they can manage a federation starship. Plus they're cute and fun to have around and would be able to handle themselves in a fight if it came to it.

Medical: Trance Gemini (Andromeda). Even eliminating her funky star avatar powers from later seasons, Trance makes a decent doctor with a good bedside manner. Plus she's a walking lucky charm and has more lives than a cat.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Dylan Hunt (Andromeda). Setting aside my dislike of the actor who played him, the character did make for one hell of a diplomat given that he took on the challenge of rebuilding the Commonwealth - and succeeded. He's a good negotiator who can get out of trouble if things turn sour, and he'd be a great source of strategic advice.

First order of business would probably be to take a side trip to Minos and pick up the Echo Papa 607 weapons system. I'd have Bucketworth and Harper adapt the cloaking tech (and any other worthwhile goodies) to the ship, and if possible reprogramme the drones to provide combat assistance if we get into a fight. If they can upgrade anything else on the ship as well (such as the engines, which could really do with a speed boost) they can do so while we're on the way to the wormhole.

The second order of business would then be to head to Vandros IV in the Gamma Quadrant and secure the Iconian gateway there. If at all possible I'd see if it could be transported off planet somehow and taken back to Federation space for use in the war effort. If it can't be, then I'd see about trying to set up some kind of planetary shield/cloak system like the one used to protect Aldea. Vandros IV could then be used as a beachhead with which to stage attacks against the Dominion directly. While that was going on, I'd have my crew study the technology of the gateway in order to try and reverse engineer it.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."