ENT - Vox Sola Review

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

ENT - Vox Sola Review

Post by Serafina »

Another good review.
And thanks Chuck for the idea of replacing Phlox with Dr. Zoidberg - who might actually be more competent!
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Re: ENT - Vox Sola Review

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

About the "eat like you mate" thing; there is actually a scene in Luis Buñuel's Le fantôme de la liberté / The Phantom of Liberty, where people sit on toilet seats around a table and then discretely retire one at a time to a small closet to eat their dinners. Awesome movie overall, no bullshit with plot or other charmingly bourgeois things. 8)
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

When Chuck was talking about how sci-fi monsters don't need to obey any silly conservation of mass laws all I could think of was xenomorphs.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

OsirisLord wrote:When Chuck was talking about how sci-fi monsters don't need to obey any silly conservation of mass laws all I could think of was xenomorphs.
Well with the Xenos that does not have to be the case for the first two movies at least. Just say that offscreen the chestbursters gorged themselves silly on Nostromo's/Colony supplies of Space Wheaties and their you go.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

Wages of Fear? I think that all knowledge of post 1950s pop culture was lost in the Eugenics Wars and WW3 in the Star Trek verse.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Zor wrote:Well with the Xenos that does not have to be the case for the first two movies at least. Just say that offscreen the chestbursters gorged themselves silly on Nostromo's/Colony supplies of Space Wheaties and their you go. Zor
The Alien book had a remark to this effect. They looked at the Nostromo's storageroom, and the food containers were open and empty. None of the food containers had been opened normally.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Coalition wrote:
Zor wrote:Well with the Xenos that does not have to be the case for the first two movies at least. Just say that offscreen the chestbursters gorged themselves silly on Nostromo's/Colony supplies of Space Wheaties and their you go. Zor
The Alien book had a remark to this effect. They looked at the Nostromo's storageroom, and the food containers were open and empty. None of the food containers had been opened normally.
It specifically stated that the creature had torn open canned rations and eaten the contents, and the crew was rather unhappy to be facing something with that kind of strength.
Your ad here.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

In regards to the aliens who get offended by public eating, that just seems weird to me. I can't remember another species in star trek that has the same hangups, which means in interaction with other species it would make more sense for them to either grow a strong stomach to this sort of thing or simply say "If you would be so good, we would prefer it if you did not eat in front of us".

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Reed once more shows how he is the only saving grace of that show....too bad he is not enough.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

Zor wrote:In regards to the aliens who get offended by public eating, that just seems weird to me. I can't remember another species in star trek that has the same hangups, which means in interaction with other species it would make more sense for them to either grow a strong stomach to this sort of thing or simply say "If you would be so good, we would prefer it if you did not eat in front of us".

Zor
they obviously didn't evolve from a communal species. Tasmanian Devils eat solitary, only so the others don't steal their food. so maybe that's what their ancestors were like.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

aussiemuscle308 wrote:
Zor wrote:In regards to the aliens who get offended by public eating, that just seems weird to me. I can't remember another species in star trek that has the same hangups, which means in interaction with other species it would make more sense for them to either grow a strong stomach to this sort of thing or simply say "If you would be so good, we would prefer it if you did not eat in front of us".

Zor
they obviously didn't evolve from a communal species. Tasmanian Devils eat solitary, only so the others don't steal their food. so maybe that's what their ancestors were like.
A Non Social species would never have developed civilization, let alone space travel.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor