TV

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

TV

Post by Hitch Hiker »

i have discoverd that TNG is the worst series of programs ever!!! You think there going to be good but then it turns pants for example :
Best of both worlds, in part one it looks like it could be quite good with the Enterprise neraly destroyed and Picard Assimilated.
but in part two it goes down the drain, you think you will ghet to see 40 ships take on the borg but you only get to see the wrekage. and then the destruction of the cube is pathetic i mean putting them to sleep and it blowing its self up for no apparent reason. why do they put shuch rubbish on!!!!! why cant BBC 2 get something better for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Put simply TNG is the scum of the early evening TV on 2 :evil:
Grand master in the art of Imaginary warfare and unsociable geography
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

'Genetic material extrapolated, initiate cellular reconstruction' Dalek

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Just a few issues...

#1: Wrong forum. This has nothing to do with Star Wars.
#2: From first impression, you seem to be a raving action genre fanwhore. I hope you can prove me wrong.

In short, welcome to SD.net, stay away from the pokehappy welcoming crowds, don't feed the trolls, don't be a troll, and finally enjoy your stay.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Hitch Hiker, TNG was the worst series ever? Let me translate this for the other people here.

Hitch Hiker: "I am too stupid to follow the plots of the TNG episodes, and I would much rather see guns lot of explosions because they are easy to comprehend. And because they are cool. Oh, and I LOVE Voyager."

Ok, maybe I went a bit too far. Oh, Crazy this actually is the Trek forum.
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Sorry for the first impressions but im just really anoide about that episode
2) sorry for posting in wrong place didnt know about the other forum
3)im actually a warsie 8)
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Superman wrote: Ok, maybe I went a bit too far. Oh, Crazy this actually is the Trek forum.
I moved it, dumbass :P
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Um....you missed the big sign saying

PURE STAR TREK

but found the star wars one?

hm...
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

late as usual...dammit!
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I knew that, Crazy! Umm, I did really...
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: TV

Post by Patrick Degan »

Hitch Hiker wrote:i have discoverd that TNG is the worst series of programs ever!!! You think there going to be good but then it turns pants
Worse than the seven-year crapfest known as Voyager? Surely you jest. 8)

Seriously, I myself was considerably disappointed by part two of "The Best Of Both Worlds". Part one promised at the least a good thumping battle and we got anything but. A good action plot that gets led up a blind alley to pull some cheap trick to resolve out the script in the last five minutes.

Sadly, this became the pattern in too many TNG scripts, particularly with the two-parters and season-cliffhanger episodes.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: TV

Post by Tsyroc »

Patrick Degan wrote:
Hitch Hiker wrote:i have discoverd that TNG is the worst series of programs ever!!! You think there going to be good but then it turns pants
Worse than the seven-year crapfest known as Voyager? Surely you jest. 8)

Seriously, I myself was considerably disappointed by part two of "The Best Of Both Worlds". Part one promised at the least a good thumping battle and we got anything but. A good action plot that gets led up a blind alley to pull some cheap trick to resolve out the script in the last five minutes.

Sadly, this became the pattern in too many TNG scripts, particularly with the two-parters and season-cliffhanger episodes.
It really would have been nice to see what they would have done on TNG if they could afford the type of special effects used on Voyager and the later parts of DS9. Perhaps we'd have seen part of Wolf 359 or a more interesting conclusion over Earth.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

BoBW was perhaps the greatest trek cliffhanger in history! Do not rag on BoBW guys. Was part 2 a lttile less than we were expecting? Sure. But Picard got turned into a friggin Borg! It doesn't get any cliffhangier than that!

And although Picard was a sissy, and after a while TNG got old, it was by NO means "the worst series of programs ever." In fact, I generally enjoyed most of TNG, it's far superior to VOY or ENT. I personally liked it better than DS9, but others will argue differently.

But the fact that YOU don't like it because it lacks your taste in SFX really pisses me off (see my LOTR rant). Was it really that complicated? Did the idea of intellegent dialouge completly blow your mind? Get a life.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:BoBW was perhaps the greatest trek cliffhanger in history! Do not rag on BoBW guys. Was part 2 a lttile less than we were expecting? Sure. But Picard got turned into a friggin Borg! It doesn't get any cliffhangier than that!
That's the point —it was the biggest and best cliffhanger in Trek history, which made part two such a complete disappointement for how they pissed it away.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I didn't particularly mind BoBW II, but regardless of how you think one episode is, you are using a VERY small sample size to generate your data. If you see several more episodes of ST:TNG and you still think it sucks, well okay then. Don't watch it. But to judge an entire series based on a single episode is to marginalize everyone involved in it. There were some BAD M*A*S*H* episodes, but that was perhaps the greatest comedic series of all time. I think you should go back and watch something like "Yesterday's Enterprise" before you pass off the entire show. Yes, that episode is also an exception and not a rule, but it gives you an idea of what the series is capable of producing.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

In considering the quality of TNG, seasons 3 and 4 are probably the best in terms of storytelling. Five is decent and season 2 merely shows signs of improvement from the awful first season. It's seasons 6 and 7 when you can tell that the series is running out of steam and the story quality really nosedives in 7 but at least delivers a decent series ending. They wrapped TNG at about the right time, but the Franchise as a whole has been sinking steadily until we've finally hit the nadir in Boobyprise. The whole thing's in the gutter now.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Patrick Degan wrote:In considering the quality of TNG, seasons 3 and 4 are probably the best in terms of storytelling. Five is decent and season 2 merely shows signs of improvement from the awful first season. It's seasons 6 and 7 when you can tell that the series is running out of steam and the story quality really nosedives in 7 but at least delivers a decent series ending. They wrapped TNG at about the right time, but the Franchise as a whole has been sinking steadily until we've finally hit the nadir in Boobyprise. The whole thing's in the gutter now.
I agree on all counts.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

Is it just me or has any one else noticed that Enterprise NX01 appears to be nothing more then a slightly alterd Akaria class turned upside down?. now they really must have reached the Gutter gone through it and in to a waste pipe if they cant come up with a slightly more intresting ship. and how come starfleet go from a quite areodynamic and good ship to the large cylindar constitution classes?
also wy did they invent races we have never heard of for example the soulabon (srry bout spelling) how come they were never mentioned in any of the other series
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Hitch Hiker wrote:Is it just me or has any one else noticed that Enterprise NX01 appears to be nothing more then a slightly alterd Akaria class turned upside down?. now they really must have reached the Gutter gone through it and in to a waste pipe if they cant come up with a slightly more intresting ship. and how come starfleet go from a quite areodynamic and good ship to the large cylindar constitution classes?
also wy did they invent races we have never heard of for example the soulabon (srry bout spelling) how come they were never mentioned in any of the other series
The "official" reason, I believe, is that in First Contact, Cochran looked at the shape of the Enterprise and that affected how the later ships would turn out, totally screwing the timeline.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Hitch Hiker
Padawan Learner

Post by Hitch Hiker »

i always thought there was some kind of people or rule that forbid screwing with the time lines. looks like they ingnord it (for about the 500th time)
Gallifrey Tec grade A+++

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Hitch Hiker wrote:i always thought there was some kind of people or rule that forbid screwing with the time lines. looks like they ingnord it (for about the 500th time)
See that would be continuity. And this is Star Trek. So the result is obvious. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Hitch Hiker wrote:Is it just me or has any one else noticed that Enterprise NX01 appears to be nothing more then a slightly alterd Akaria class turned upside down?. now they really must have reached the Gutter gone through it and in to a waste pipe if they cant come up with a slightly more intresting ship. and how come starfleet go from a quite areodynamic and good ship to the large cylindar constitution classes?
You've hit my personal pet peeve with criticizing Enterprize ship design.
I HATE them for that advanced, cloak equipped Romulan ship.
I HATE them for having a Klingon D-7 100 years before TOS.
I HATE them for the huge, advanced NX class.

Apparently, all ST technology is simply a refinement on these heady days of innovation. Remember when in the TOS episode where the Romulan cloaking device was shocking and new? Obviously history and tech annalysis are frowned upon in the Federation. I could rant on and on, but I'll spare everyone.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.