Box Office results - Day One.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

C.S.Strowbridge
Sore Loser

Post by C.S.Strowbridge »

According to Box Office Mojo Nemesis dropped out of the top ten in only its 11th day. And tomorrow three more movies open.

More news on the death of Star Trek as it happens. Next schedules news cast, when I get back from Christmas on Boxing Day.
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

I once saw a video of some guy being beaten in some desolate African country and left for dead on the side of the road. Then somebody came along and kicked him in the head, just for good measure. This thread reminds me of that video :)
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I once saw a video of some guy being beaten in some desolate African country and left for dead on the side of the road. Then somebody came along and kicked him in the head, just for good measure
Are you taking a How To Desensitize Yourself To Violence course or something?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Wow, I wonder if the supposed three-hour original cut could have done any worse? After a point its becomes hard for a big budget movie to do much worse just because there are some people who will see it no matter what.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

Bringing the topic of ST vs SW to this thread, according to the numbers, last weekend STN made $4,415,081 showing in 2,711 theatres, while AOTC IMAX edition made $245,885 in the 37 theatres where it's been showing for nearly 2 months.

So, on average, theatres showing AOTC made around $6650 from it.
Theaters showing STN only made $1630 from it.

So, in case you own an IMAX theatre, you can rest assured that showing AOTC is a better deal than showing STN.
C.S.Strowbridge
Sore Loser

Week 3

I already posted this once, but for some reason it didn't stick.

Nemesis only lost 69 theatres. (BTW, that's a link to Box Office Prophets, and not some dirty sex site. I'm sure someone else can supply that later.) I'm not sure how Paramount managed to keep all those theatres when they only made a little more than $1600 per theatre last weekend.

This weekend tends to see a little jump from last weekend, but since all the fanboys have seen ST:X I'm predicting a small drop to $3.0 million. And it will surpase AotC biggest single day Box Office.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

I love the fact they released it the week before LOTR because

1. If you go to it after TTT is out, you get an empty theatre!
2. B&B will collapse.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
C.S.Strowbridge
Sore Loser

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:I love the fact they released it the week before LOTR because

1. If you go to it after TTT is out, you get an empty theatre!
My Uncle went the Saturday it was released, so it was before TTT came out. Him and 9 other guys and they doubled the number of people seeing it.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

I think STN's failure is all part of the conspiracy plan to doom B&B, you see, if the movie goes out with some millions short of it's cost then they can charge B&B for the money lost, so they end up broke and living under a bridge with a guy who has no legs.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shogoki wrote:I think STN's failure is all part of the conspiracy plan to doom B&B, you see, if the movie goes out with some millions short of it's cost then they can charge B&B for the money lost, so they end up broke and living under a bridge with a guy who has no legs.
Firing them eight or nine Trek seasons ago would have been a more effective solution
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

amen to that
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

This reminds me of "The Simpsons," when NASA is looking at the ratings of its latest space launch. They were trying to figure out if ants could be trained to sort tiny screws in space, which would have literally millions of applications here on Earth--everything from watch making to watch repair.

In any case, they found that the TV ratings for the space launch were worse than those of "A Connie Chung Christmas," and decided that there was a problem.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

HemlockGrey wrote:
I once saw a video of some guy being beaten in some desolate African country and left for dead on the side of the road. Then somebody came along and kicked him in the head, just for good measure
Are you taking a How To Desensitize Yourself To Violence course or something?
Hm, I'm wondering if that video would have fared better in the B.O. than ST:N
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Just thought I'd stop by to point out that "Nemesis" came in on its opening weekend with $18.5 million dollars. By comparison, "Kangaroo Jack" has just come in on a MUCH less lucrative weekend with a grand total of $17.8 million dollars, indicating that ST edged it out by less than one million dollars on opening weekends.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:Just thought I'd stop by to point out that "Nemesis" came in on its opening weekend with $18.5 million dollars. By comparison, "Kangaroo Jack" has just come in on a MUCH less lucrative weekend with a grand total of $17.8 million dollars, indicating that ST edged it out by less than one million dollars on opening weekends.
Well what is the total for Nemesis?

Oh, and Ossus. I am getting tired of people who are constantly pointing out to how Nemesis is bombing and half of them doing it gleefully at that. It gets most irritating.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Alyeska wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:Just thought I'd stop by to point out that "Nemesis" came in on its opening weekend with $18.5 million dollars. By comparison, "Kangaroo Jack" has just come in on a MUCH less lucrative weekend with a grand total of $17.8 million dollars, indicating that ST edged it out by less than one million dollars on opening weekends.
Well what is the total for Nemesis?
It's just over $41.6 million dollars.
Oh, and Ossus. I am getting tired of people who are constantly pointing out to how Nemesis is bombing and half of them doing it gleefully at that. It gets most irritating.
Why? It's a fact. You shouldn't be offended by it.

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I think hes offended by the fact that people are happy about it dying at the box office.

Thats just the US total right?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

TheDarkling wrote:Thats just the US total right?
Of course. My understanding is that it's doing respectably on the International BO.

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Of course. My understanding is that it's doing respectably on the International BO.
I guess the U.S. isn't the world's center of stupid. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

neoolong wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:
I guess the U.S. isn't the world's center of stupid. :D
Don't temp me.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."