Janeways Stupidity

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Janeways Stupidity

Post by Chris OFarrell »

This thread is dedicated to our favourate Starfleet Captian and some of the more...interesting decisions she made. I made this thread because I watched a couple of Voyager episodes last night and in both there were such amazing examples of stupidity that I almost threw up.

First in Unimatrix Zero part II. The whole plan was that Janeway, Tores and Tuvok were to be assimlated by the Borg, then stay unconnected to the collective while they sabotaged the collective and its hold on the unimatrix zero people. The amazing act of stupidity is that it apparently didn't OCCUR to anyone that Janeway and Co might actualy BE assimilated and become part of the collective. When Voyager tries to come charging to the rescue, the Borg simply use Tuvoks knowedlge and access codes to lower Voyagers shields and blow a nice gaping hole in the side of the ship.

Did ANYONE, think that if the Captian, Tactical Officer and Cheif Enginer were to fall into the hands of the Borg that the ships command codes MIGHT be comprimised? That CHANGING them to ones unknown to those people and Janeway transfering the ships command codes to Chakotey MIGHT be a good idea?

Then we have Memorial. In this its not so much pure stupidity but a totaly imoral choice. There is this big oblisk on some planet where basicly a slaughter took place that should not have happened against Civilians. In their shame, the people there built a machine which broadcast the battle as a psionic signal so that anyone in range would have to relive it and feal all the guilt and such that happaned. The device essentialy implanted memories of a slaughter into the minds of people and made them think they did it and it was their fault, so that they would know the horror and folly of war. Fair enough if your prepared and accept it, but having it forced upon you is a little unfair no?

What does Janeway do? Leave the machine to die on its own or shut it down herself? Nope. She powers the bloody thing back up with enough power for hundreds of years of operation because she in her presumptious mind thinks 'no-one should forget'. Gee I'm sure some kid on some ship passing through who is goign to be scared for the rest of their life is going to thank you for that.

Please, feal free to discuss some of Janeways more *interesting* decisions....
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I can't even begin to start with this one. How about giving the Borg a blueprint to win their war against the lame ass Species 8472?

And since when do the Borg negotiate anyway? They DON'T!
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

First episode. Not planting time-fuzed demolition charges on the Caretaker array so they can both get home and destroy the array. This isn't rocket science; even if Voyager didn't carry time fuzed devices all they would need to do is improvise something using an antimatter container and a limited-duration powercell. Power cell runs empty, containment field fails, antimatter goes boom. Utterly failsafe unless someone is around to make sure the containment field stays on.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Enlightenment wrote:First episode. Not planting time-fuzed demolition charges on the Caretaker array so they can both get home and destroy the array.
I believe the problem was that they didn't have time to figure out how the array actually worked before the Kazon arrived in numbers the couldn't possibly defeat. Thus, she was going to have to either destroy the array or negotiate some kind of deal which would almost certainly leave the array in Kazon hands. :?

Refusing to trade the ship's store of literature for a boost home (can't remember the episode name; too lazy to look it up) was outrageously stupid.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

"Swarm." Janeway decides to cut through alien controlled space. When Tuvok tells her that would violate the PD, she doesn't give a shit.

"Equinox Part II." She leaves someone tied up in an unprotect part of the ship to get information.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Ted C wrote:I believe the problem was that they didn't have time to figure out how the array actually worked before the Kazon arrived in numbers the couldn't possibly defeat. Thus, she was going to have to either destroy the array or negotiate some kind of deal which would almost certainly leave the array in Kazon hands. :?
I read the script for that episode recently; the Caretaker actually had a self-destruct device in place and asked them to return.

Instead of returning immediately, Janeway & co hung around the area in a stupid, long-winded battle with a Kazon ship. Instead of THROWING EVERYTHING THEY HAD at the Kazon, they ALLOW IT TO CRASH INTO THE ARRAY and DISABLE THE SELF-DESTRUCT!

Code: Select all

[Array] 
      TUVOK: Captain, I can access the system to send us back to Federation 
      space, but it will take several hours to activate. 
      JANEWAY: Unless you help us. 
      BANJO MAN: Oh, I wish I could but I have very little time left, so I have 
      initiated a self-destruct program. 
      JANEWAY: If you destroy the array, we'll have no way to get home. 
      BANJO MAN: The Ocampa's enemies cannot be allowed to... to control this 
      installation. In minutes, it will be destroyed. You have to go. Go now. 
      TUVOK: The Caretaker? 
      JANEWAY: Voyager, report. 

[Bridge] 
      PARIS: Kazon vessel just collided with the array, Captain. Are you all 
      right? 
      JANEWAY (Voice): Affirmative. Stand by. 

[Array] 
      CARETAKER: The self-destruct program has been damaged. Now this 
      installation will not be destroyed. But it must be. The Kazon must not be 
      allowed to gain control of it. They will annihilate the Ocampa. 
      TUVOK: Shall I activate the program to get us back? 
      JANEWAY: And what happens to the Ocampa after we're gone? 
      TUVOK: Captain. Any action we take to protect the Ocampa would affect the 
      balance of power in this system. The Prime Directive would seem to apply. 
      JANEWAY: Would it? We never asked to be involved, Tuvok. But we are. We 
      are. 
Yeah, timed explosives would be a nice backup. Fix the tricobalt devices as self-destruct mechanisms, beam them over, and get the hell out of there.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF