An egotistical(?) wallpaper thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

An egotistical(?) wallpaper thread

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Since I've been on a tear insofar as collecting wallpapers, this thread is partially a link to a gallery of stuff I've found. Links to their respective creators are in the description on the linked gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/saGML

(Ignore the "Oshi..." thing at the bottom. It's a meme with some other people I originally shared the gallery with.)

Here's where the egotistical part comes in: I started wondering what my choices of wallpapers said about me. I know such ideas are akin to color psychology, and that like color psychology the interpretation would depend heavily on the culture one would have been raised in. Though since this is just a casual and fun thing, I don't think there's any harm in taking a stab at something like this. :wink:

Seems I enjoy a lot of abstract wallpapers... maybe I'm escapist? (By "maybe" I mean "definitely", I know I tend towards escapism. :lol: ).

Furthermore, not many rough edges and lots of subdued colors. Preference towards calming environments methinks.

So, there's my crap post. Everyone is free to join in the thread and add their own thoughts (either if you want to talk about yourself and wallpaper choices or if you want to tear me a new one over being an idiot), though I think it would be best to link to the image rather than displaying them on this page via img tag.

If the moderators/administration wish to move, merge or delete this thread and let me know if I shouldn't post threads like this, I won't question your judgements. :)
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: An egotistical(?) wallpaper thread

Post by LadyTevar »

Moved to more suitable forum
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I think mine says "I like video games."

We had a thread like this years back on another forum. One comment from that which stuck with me (paraphrasing): "I think wallpapers basically say 'I like this thing' and not much else. That is unless it's some half or full naked chick. Then that says: 'I'm single and live alone.' Unless it's an anime chick. Then that says 'My mom is massively disappointed in me every time she delivers my dinner to the basement."

I miss that forum.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

TheFeniX wrote:I think mine says "I like video games."

We had a thread like this years back on another forum. One comment from that which stuck with me (paraphrasing): "I think wallpapers basically say 'I like this thing' and not much else. That is unless it's some half or full naked chick. Then that says: 'I'm single and live alone.' Unless it's an anime chick. Then that says 'My mom is massively disappointed in me every time she delivers my dinner to the basement."

I miss that forum.
Holy tish, that's a huge image!

As for the "wallpapers basically say..." thing, yeah, it's pretty spot on. I don't think you'll get any profound insights on a person's psyche from their artistic preferences.

I just thought a thread where we talk about ourselves vis-a-vis wallpaper enjoyment would be a fun thing to do. :)
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

4K makes for large screenshots.

I don't think desktop customization means what it used to, because it's personal thing. People are more worried these days about their Facebook pages or their Steam profile since those can be public. The desktop has become more of a way to just access the shit you want everyone else to see. Also of note, the lack of customization of Facebook (compared to myspace) and "desktops" like on the iPad factors into this.

I think people would be more inclined to talk about their Steam (or whatever) profile pic or even their prefered username since emphasis on Internet connectivity has kind of supplanted worrying about what your local desktop looks like.

I also believe it's become kind of mundane. The GUI was big shit in the 90s. A lot of kids who had PCs they gamed on would customize theirs with Warcraft 2 sounds, fancy desktops, and other jaz. Now, (as I said) it's really just a portal to load their apps and games. That's where they worry about showing their personality. Not to say this thread is pointless, but it's kind of a fading topic.

Like Car Audio which was big in the 20th and even into the early 2000s. But the new generation of kids care about audio fidelity in their mobile devices, not their cars. The car has become much less about your personality and more about just being a box that gets you from point A to point B (if you even own one) so you can get to the place you want to socialize.... by staring at your phone screen all day.