GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Agent Fisher »

Actually yes. Ever since the previous sheriff had a lawsuit brought against him, they changed their minds about permits before the suit was finished, that way they weren't actually forced to change. But I live in Placer County, and while they're still stringent enough that 'Self-Defense does not constitute a valid good cause statement', they help you through the process.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Jub wrote:That makes logical sense tome. Check my local laws, and buy something relatively cheap to start. I think the main issue is that I'm in an apartment at the moment so light and likely not bolted down will have to do for now.
Beowulf brings up a good point about the strong-boxes. Another option is to get a steel cabinet with a locking system, and drill a hole through the backside and using a lag screw+washer to bolt it into a stud in the wall. You're really just trying to slow down a robber and/or keep him from just dollying the whole safe out the door. Or keep a kid from pulling it down on top of themselves.
I was thinking .22 mainly because of costs in both ammo and a starting rifle. It's also what the CNo7 that I shot with cadets was chambered for so I have a little experience with it which is better than the none with anything more powerful.
It's a good start, but I don't know pricing for that rifle in Canada. I've got a Ruger 10/22 Carbine from.... Hell, I don't know where the gun came from. It's quite a bit lighter than the Enfield and might be a cheaper purchase. However, I recall Canadian laws concerning barrel lengths <18", so I don't know if it would be legal there.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

TheFeniX wrote:It's a good start, but I don't know pricing for that rifle in Canada. I've got a Ruger 10/22 Carbine from.... Hell, I don't know where the gun came from. It's quite a bit lighter than the Enfield and might be a cheaper purchase. However, I recall Canadian laws concerning barrel lengths <18", so I don't know if it would be legal there.
IIRC the 18" barrel thing is only illegal if it's aftermarket, factory barrels can be below that. I'd have to look obviously, but Skallagrim who lives in the same province as I do showed off a short barreled shotgun on his youtube channel not too long ago.
Geminon
Redshirt

Post by Geminon »

I have to insert my $0.02 in on a topic close to my heart.

I live just outside Toronto and have had a Ruger Mini 10/22 for years. It's a great plinking rifle and my brother just bought one so that he could do some target shooting and have a starter rifle for when his wife lets him introduce their son to guns.

On the subject of gun-safes/storage: go with the best you can afford and do your best to make it immobile. If you can't bolt it down, fill it with cinder blocks or sandbags. Make it secure to the best of your ability. In my head-space, you are responsible for that firearm at all times and it is no less your responsibility if it gets stolen.

FRD
"Twinkie, twinkie, cupcake." Chris Costa, MagPul Dynamics
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Geminon wrote:I live just outside Toronto and have had a Ruger Mini 10/22 for years. It's a great plinking rifle and my brother just bought one so that he could do some target shooting and have a starter rifle for when his wife lets him introduce their son to guns.
On that note, the Ruger Mini-14 is a great "upgrade" when moving up to a more powerful round. .223s are one the cheapest rifle rounds, manages to not be loud for a .223, the recoil is nothing. It's fairly light, accurate as Hell, and can mount all kinds of accessories. It also has the added advantage of having models with a wood-stock, so people look at it as a hunting rifle rather freaking out because it's all tacticool.

Canada is funny though. No ARs, but Mini-14s are fine.

On another note, I've always wanted a bullpup rifle. You know, just because.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Hell, Tavors are legal there. Aaron has one, for instance.

Jub, get a Ruger 10/22. If oyu can find it, try to pick up the 50th Anniversery edition, because it comes with a better set of iron sights than what the base model comes with.

If you want to be tactical operating operationally conisder the Takedown model; I have one.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

SKS arrived at FFL, man, it's about a million times more dirty/greasey/rusty than the 91/30 I got. This was after about 10 minutes of getting the big chunks off, I'm going to strip it down and do a complete cleaning later.

Oddly, I can't seem to find any importer marks on it. FFL said he thought the currently lot of Norinco surplus SKSs that arrived in the US are actually here by way of Canadaland, which is a hell of a roundabout way of doing things just to get around the import ban.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

You could find crates full of SKSs for years, probably still can. It was the go-to around here for years so tacticool guys without the money could say things like "got me an assault rifle" like it was a badge of honor or something. Saying you owned an "SKS assault rifle" was supposed to get your oohs and aahs, or something.

I'm not dissing the gun at all, I've had the chance to fire them and they're pretty damned solid and a bargain at the ~$100 you could get them for. But they greased them up so much, they'll probably still be brand new when WW8 breaks out. One of my favorite little hole-in-the-wall guns shops I visit had a sign above the crate "Handle at your own risk" because so many people would pick them up, then complain about all the grease on them.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

So, finally, after way too long, took my Shield to the range. Now, I had concerns about it before shooting it. Namely, it's a .40 caliber handgun, with a tiny barrel. I was concerned about kick and how easy to control it'd be. Well, my worries were for nothing. It kicks more than my full size M&P but the Shield is a solid little gun. Multiple times, from five yards, I was able to rapid fire four rounds into the 8 ring, and then follow up with the remaining three rounds to the head. I let a friend shoot it and now he's looking for one for himself.

If anyone's looking for a subcompact striker gun, I give my approval to the S&W M&P Shield.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Honestly, I rented a Shield in 9mm and fired it, then fired my G19 immediately after. I was surprised at how soft it was. I've been thinking of getting it as a summer carry.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Babby's first AR-10. Assembled out of a stripped lower. I lost a detent for the forward takedown pin, but otherwise complete. I'm going to swing by a gun store near my mother's house that makes their own AR-15s and ask if they have any detents to spare/buy.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I wanted one for years. And now I have one. The ultimate in Capitalist Pig™ killing technology (also, probably polar bears): the Mosin Nagant.

I didn't know I wanted one of these, but I did. 18.5" bullpup 12-gauge pump shotgun. Holds 7+7+1. It's got two magazines, and a loader select. Kel-Tec KSG. It comes up to my knee. I had no other optics, so I finally pulled my EoTech off my carbine. It also fulfills two of my desires: to own at least one tan colored gun. I don't know why, but that's been a thing for me. I've got enough black and stainless guns. And to own a bullpup. So it basically paid for itself..... right?

I can't wait to try shooting trap with an 18" barrel, no choke, and a holographic site. It's going to be hilarious.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

You can get Moisin's for fairly cheap if you know where to look, right? I understand they have a hell of a kick though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I walked out with mine for under $300USD. The kick isn't that terrible, but it's not a gun you'd want to put 50 rounds through in a day. It's a heavy gun, which eats up a lot of the recoil, but the steel butt doesn't have any give. Just make sure you have it tight to your shoulder and it's not resting against your shoulder itself (the bone). Let me put it this way, I'd rather shoot it than a Winchester .270.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, that sounds about right. Of course the last time I looked, it was somewhere like Mitchell's Mausers or something... back in the early 00's... they might have had Moisins for like... $150? I might be mixing that up with SKS, though. Always fancied one. It's a bit different from your K98 or Garand. Plus, and this is non-negotiable for me, you can get a (reproduction) Cossack shashka with bayonet scabbard for a Moisin :mrgreen:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

TheFeniX wrote:I walked out with mine for under $300USD. The kick isn't that terrible, but it's not a gun you'd want to put 50 rounds through in a day. It's a heavy gun, which eats up a lot of the recoil, but the steel butt doesn't have any give. Just make sure you have it tight to your shoulder and it's not resting against your shoulder itself (the bone). Let me put it this way, I'd rather shoot it than a Winchester .270.
My brother's gun was such a kickin' mess you 'd not be able to shoot properly for fear of recoil. A friend told him they designed that gun around the russion uniform coat and advised him to always fold a towel a couple of times to put between the stock and shoulder to simulate a thick wool coat. Much better!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Were you shooting from a resting position? I don't do that with rifles anymore since sighting my dad's .270 for him. It sucks as the recoil has nowhere to go except into your body. I prefer to shoot from standing position as even the inch or so the recoil takes my torso back is enough to absorb the brunt of it. Really, the only long-gun I find annoying to shoot in this position, without a jacket, is my dad's 10-gauge break-action because 3.5" 10-gauge shells are brutal. It also probably helps that on both occasions I've shot a Nagant, I was shooting my CX4 before-hand which has little recoil, but gets your shoulder ready to take that kind of punishment.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah, that sounds about right. Of course the last time I looked, it was somewhere like Mitchell's Mausers or something... back in the early 00's... they might have had Moisins for like... $150? I might be mixing that up with SKS, though.
All those guns were about 150 bucks back around 2002. The doubling and tripling of prices then commenced.

I suggest getting a rubber pad for Mosin shooting myself, I've put 200 rounds through one in a day and I didn't bruise me, but I sure felt it the next day. Without good form you could probably bruise in 25 rounds. Doesn't kick nearly as much as my K31 though, I think the Swiss theory was that if they made the recoil bad enough no enemy would ever use captured Swiss arms.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah, that sounds about right. Of course the last time I looked, it was somewhere like Mitchell's Mausers or something... back in the early 00's... they might have had Moisins for like... $150?

In 2012 they had T53s(Chinese Mosins) for $120 floating around.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Anyway this happened

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Nice piece. Have you tested it out yet?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Lonestar wrote:Anyway this happened
Is there a reason why you went with a S&W 59**?
Borgholio wrote:Nice piece. Have you tested it out yet?
I spy some powder residue on the ejection port and around the hammer so I'm guessing he did. Unless of course he bought in on consignment and it came like that.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Bought it consignment and it came like that. Price was right. Haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet.

Wanted a 3rd Generation S&W and this sorta landed in my lap. The Night sights and crimson trace grips, + 4 15rd mags for $425.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Be sure to check it thoroughly before shooting it. When someone cannot be bothered to clean it for sale, who knows how bad he neglected it while he used it.
(Sure you know this, but this stuff is better be said once too often than not enough. :) )
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Stainless frames, .45 in particular, are lousy for that kind of powder-staining. My 1911 has the almost exact same staining-pattern on the rear of the slide (and the barrel) and I take pretty good care of it unlike some of my other guns. Check the barrel for obstructions, maybe run a brush down it once or twice, oil it, and blast away.

I went 18 months without cleaning my PX4 (only oiling the contact points and checking the barrel for obstructions, all without breaking down the gun) out of a combination of laziness and wanting to see how much I could abuse a good automatic before it failed without going out of my way to destroy it (like those guys who beat up Glocks for fun did). I had zero issues with it.... until an old reload breached and destroyed the top of the plastic (WTF) feedramp. Same shitty ammo breached in my CX4 and it blew the wings of the action-clamp out both sides of the ejectors. But I beat that bastard back into form with a hammer because fuck sending Beretta $65 for a curved piece of steel.

Guns are tough. Well.... good guns are tough. I usually lump S&W into that pile.