GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Lonestar »

Sure.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-02-26 04:50pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-02-26 10:15am That is an oddball weapon.
And damn hard to find ammo for. I can get it at Rural King, but what loads they'll have in stock is a bit of a crapshoot and you can't get target rounds for love or money, because the gauge isn't legal in skeet.
So, how does it shoot,when you get the chance to?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-03-01 11:37am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-02-26 04:50pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-02-26 10:15am That is an oddball weapon.
And damn hard to find ammo for. I can get it at Rural King, but what loads they'll have in stock is a bit of a crapshoot and you can't get target rounds for love or money, because the gauge isn't legal in skeet.
So, how does it shoot,when you get the chance to?
Less kick than a 12 gauge, but it'll still blow the hell out of whatever you point it at. I wish the gauge hadn't fallen out of favor; I like it better than either 12 or 20.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It does sound like a useful round. That's basically a .66 inch diameter, so a slug in a rifled barrel would probably put down deer pretty reliably. Less range, but that can be lived with. Would mess up small birds and game though, so that's what you keep the 20 around for.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I use it strictly for can plinking (more like can shredding, since I have to use game rounds and slugs) and theoretical home defense (though I've never had to grab it for that purpose and don't expect to ever need to, at least while I continue to live where I do). I don't like the taste of venison. I might see what it does to a turkey sometime if I ever get out during the season, though; that I'll eat.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sure, it sounds like it'd take down a turkey just dandy. Goose perhaps as well. Just check your local codes to see what the minimum gauge allowed is if you don't already know.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Also wild hogs are starting to range north of the Ohio, and if any turn up on the family farm... well, I imagine I'll want a rifle for that. But that's a bridge we can cross when we get to it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-03-01 05:15pm It does sound like a useful round. That's basically a .66 inch diameter, so a slug in a rifled barrel would probably put down deer pretty reliably. Less range, but that can be lived with. Would mess up small birds and game though, so that's what you keep the 20 around for.
Problem is that it's such an oddball gauge( in this country, at least), as Rogue may have mentioned, so ammo for it is hard to find.

Kind of like .36 caliber pistol ammo for a LeMat(friend of mine has one, massive Civil War buff).
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-03-01 10:12pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-03-01 05:15pm It does sound like a useful round. That's basically a .66 inch diameter, so a slug in a rifled barrel would probably put down deer pretty reliably. Less range, but that can be lived with. Would mess up small birds and game though, so that's what you keep the 20 around for.
Problem is that it's such an oddball gauge( in this country, at least), as Rogue may have mentioned, so ammo for it is hard to find.

Kind of like .36 caliber pistol ammo for a LeMat(friend of mine has one, massive Civil War buff).
I can reliably pick up 8 shot game loads and hollowpoint slugs for it at Rural King, and sometimes they have 6 shot game loads as well (though not always). The real pain is that when shotgun shells go on sale, 16 gauge is never included; they only mark down 12, 20, and .410 (though the advertising never specifies that it's limited to certain gauges; funny that).

And as I alluded to above, this is all because when the rules of skeet were formalized, 16 gauge was left out in the cold for some godforsaken reason. Before that, it was one of the more popular gauges in the United States.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Oh, okay. My bad, then.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

That's the only source I've been able to find, though. Everywhere else I tried didn't know what the fuck I was talking about asking for 16 gauge.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-03-01 10:36pm And as I alluded to above, this is all because when the rules of skeet were formalized, 16 gauge was left out in the cold for some godforsaken reason. Before that, it was one of the more popular gauges in the United States.
Yeah, well look at how .22 hornet used to be the shit into the 1980s, and now when you can find it it's the same price as much larger 5.56x45 loadings. The firearms field has been consolidating on calibers for a long time now. That gun is great though, makes me want a pump action rifle again.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-03-01 10:48pm That's the only source I've been able to find, though. Everywhere else I tried didn't know what the fuck I was talking about asking for 16 gauge.
To the onlines -

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/shotgun- ... gauge-ammo

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/16-GAUGE ... s/2022.htm

I have bought ammo from both places. Everything shipped and arrived within a few days of ordering.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Picked this up Saturday. Ruger PCC 9mm. Mates well with my Glock pistol mags. Shoots like a dream.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Aw man, that looks like fun to shoot.
Torben
Padawan Learner

Post by Torben »

It is. Ran 200 rounds through it Sunday after swapping the magwell. If I were a better shot I'd have had great groups...that said, it hit everywhere I aimed, even when it wasn't where I meant to aim :). Can't wait to take it out again.

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Torben wrote: 2018-03-06 06:40pm It is. Ran 200 rounds through it Sunday after swapping the magwell. If I were a better shot I'd have had great groups...that said, it hit everywhere I aimed, even when it wasn't where I meant to aim :). Can't wait to take it out again.
This is definitely on my list for this year. I'm hopping to get a pistol-caliber silencer ordered as well that I could mate with it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, I've got the shotgun, and a friend of mine is selling me her deceased father's 9mm Ruger. I don't know that I want a rifle, but if I decide I do later, would a PCC be a good idea just to cut down on ammunition types since I'll already have the 9mm?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Torben
Padawan Learner

Post by Torben »

It's one of the reasons I got one. That and I thought it would be fun to shoot, which it is.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Even my wife's POS Hi-Point 9mm is fun to shoot. 9mm is pretty much the cheapest pistol ammo you're going to find for the quality. In some areas, even .380 is more expensive. And it's not hard stuff to find or stockpile. After shooting matches for years, I bought a 9mm conversion barrel for my XD and pretty much retired every other caliber. I keep my 1911 and .357 because "why the fuck not?" but I rarely shoot them.

I enjoy shooting an AR-15, but I keep going back to my CX4. I see no reason to purchase a.... whatever, "Tacticool" rifle. I'd rather keep my tacticool pistol carbine. The ammo is cheaper and the report is quiet enough to only really require earplugs, not muffs. That and you can shoot at Steel targets all day long.

Honestly, there's a few other 9mm "odd guns" I'd like to pick up, but won't. Something like the civilian TMP was expensive to begin with and isn't all that fun to shoot considering what had to be done to make it legal under the NFA. Attaching a stock to it is out of the question. Also, it's another Steyr product (like the AUG) with a shit trigger pull. If you were considering a 9mm carbine, I'd shop around.

Kel-Tec has some crazy shit. I love my KSG, but they also make a carbine. The Sub 2000. Folds in half for storage and transport. The only negative I can find about it is that it "looks basic." Which is funny because my CX4 looks like a lambo, but is really just a Fiero. The entire action is a double-spring inside a (near) solid rectangle of steel. Thing is stupidly easy to work on aside from the inner workings of the trigger mechanism, but that's mainly due to access.

Came in handy when a casing breached in it and blew the retaining clip out through the ejection port. I just beat on it with a hammer for about an hour.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Torben wrote: 2018-03-22 11:36pm It's one of the reasons I got one. That and I thought it would be fun to shoot, which it is.
Well, I've got the 9mm, a P95. The product specs on the PCC say it mates with SR and Security 9 series magazines; will it take the ones that shipped with the P95 (which is now out of production), just out of curiosity?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Torben
Padawan Learner

Post by Torben »

Honestly, no idea. I don't have anything else Ruger and immediately dropped in the Glock insert to work with the mags from my G19.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Probably not, sadly. Researching finds that the SR9 and P95 magazines aren't interchangeable in the pistols, so they almost certainly won't both fit in the rifle.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Torben
Padawan Learner

Post by Torben »

Makes sense, which also sucks. Here's to hoping Ruger makes an insert for the P series mags...or lets someone like MagPul make one. The platform has all kinds of potential with it's modularity, just needs someone to make the parts.

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Been meaning to post updates here but never got around to it. took the pictures, just never uploaded.

anyway, i had monday off and most of my arsenal hadn't been more than bore wiped in a while so that's what i spent about 6 hrs doing monday afternoon.

and onto the photos
The AR-10 as of last october, i know the scope looks silly but it was what i had and the riser was necessary to bring it back far enough for eye relief while giving enough room to work the (still a PITA) charging handle.

Early this year i got a proper sized scope for it. though if you notice i haven't figured out where to mount it yet, making the charging handle even more of a pain in the ass. the little offset mount tucked underneath the scope did have a laser but the recoil kept fucking with the battery tension spring and killing it.

It groups well enough at 100yrds to chew steel with plain FMJ. i caught a sale of XM80C for 10 bucks a box.

Here is how it sits as of today (or I guess yesterday now). i finally learned where the back of the scope on an AR style rifle is supposed to go, and have done a couple of other things.

Like get a charging handle with an extended latch for less ass pain. and...

This rather awesome looking thing to mitigate some of the kick while giving you an extra dose of air pressure to the face.

But today(yesterday) wasn't just the AR-10 needing a wipe and oil, it was most of everything that's at my place instead of my dad's.

From top to bottom they actually ended up in the order i got them

a Marlin model 60 that was my grandfathers squirrel removal device

a Mossberg 702 which was the first gun i bought myself and probably still the most heavily used, .22 is just a fun round and cheap enough to fire in the hundreds

a Mossberg 500 because everybody needs a shotgun. this one i bought as a pistol grip but it's got a long enough barrel to be legally able to put a stock on it

a Henry big boy in .357 which i decided on over a 45-70 mostly due to the cost of ammo for 45-70 and with this there's ammo commonality when i end up getting a revolver.

the lever action is my most resent buy, but there is another one not pictured with the long guns that i scratched off my top 5 list

1911: when you have a design over 100 years old that's still going strong you know you've got a good thing. this and the lever gun are IMHO the 'prettiest' of my arsenal.

and for something that fires projectiles without going boom first.

a 125lb draw weight crossbow. this was going to be an early christmas present for my mother since shes always wanted one, but even with the pulley rope it's a bit hard for her to cock it. so I've ended up shooting it more than she has.

good thing you can recover the ammo (most of the time), with the price of bolts it'd almost be cheaper feeding a .50 cal.

about halfway through cleaning i thought, 'you know it'd be better if you took some pictures while you're at it', so i got a couple of the last ones while taken apart.

the plinkster, due the being the most heavily used and that .22 is a bit dirtier than the other ammo was undoubtedly the gun most in need of cleaning.

it comes apart easy enough, two screws drops the plastic stock off of everything else and two pins separates the trigger group assembly and the barrel/upper. only PITA is that the bolt has to be moved back as you put the trigger back in to engage on a little metal guide rail that is part the trigger assembly, so you have to compress the recoil spring with nothing holding the bolt in place while aligning the trigger and keeping the charging handle from slipping off the top of the bolt.

the M500 is also pretty easy to disassemble/reassemble, it's just has a lot more fiddly bits that all have to go in the right order and mesh with eachother.

this is only my second time taking the 1911 apart and i managed to do it this time without firing the guns backup weapon. i only had to look up a how to once this time and it ended up i was doing it right and the solution was 'pull harder'.

here is the lower receiver, BCG, and one 7.62x51mm round from the AR-10. i show you this in particular because....

Coming Soon

The AR-10 is getting it's little brother!

these are the parts that have arrived so far, i'm hoping to get all the parts bought, if not here and assembled, by the end of the year.

until ordering this i'd never handled 5.56mm myself, i'm rather surprised how tiny it is.

this dinky little thing is the primary military round for most western nations?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?