Show-off thread (56k unfriendly)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Show-off thread (56k unfriendly)

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

A photo of my dream camera taken with a Leica Summilux 50mm/f1.4 on the Panasonic GF1 which one of the RF dudes in Singapore graciously lent me to play with.

Someone lent me his Canon 50mm/f0.95. Bokeh is butter and simply melts with this little depth of field.

Some other photos taken on the Voigtlander 35mm/f1.2

STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The unimog was moving in that one!

Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

"It's too Cold".

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

Some performance art, the result of a little over a year of training. A bit of a fuck up on my part near the start, but we'd only had two weeks to learn the routine (along with various others).

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Fun with night time photography and jury rigged lighting

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
JanePeacey
Redshirt

Post by JanePeacey »

My tribute to Aliens. Enjoy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Taken with the Voigtlander 25mm/f0.95 on the Panasonic GF1

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/86833683@N ... 217393193/
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

FANTASTic shot Rye!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The doggy looks cranky... Which part of Maryland or Virginia is this?
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Harpers Ferry
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Phantasee wrote:Well, of course it is. You go, and then you remember how much you hate bugs and cold and exposure to the elements and oh shit you're missing Lost!

So you never go again. But you take plenty of pictures so everyone knows you're "into the outdoors" and shit.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Finally made the leap into Rangefinder Photography with this guy:

Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Some pics taken on the GF1 with the Voigtlander 25mm/f0.95

Kreia
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

From a local fitness show... :D

Taken with a Canon 50mm 1.8 II on my Canon EOS 1000D. :)

You can see more at my photo set. :)
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

g1 - GOOD pics!

Sunrise & some Dissection:

Sunrise at 06:20 AM (Taken on my way to class)
IMG_0006 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr.

Undeveloped Bee (no functional stinger or wings - note the white rear):
IMG_0011 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr

IMG_0001 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr
Morning.

Starting the dissection:
IMG_0031 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr
(Balancing pins, wings, legs, scissors and pliers is tricky, even when you're chopping off extraneous limbs!)
Locusta Migratoria (The wandering Locust).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

g1 - GOOD pics!

Sunrise & some Dissection:

Sunrise at 06:20 AM (Taken on my way to class)
IMG_0006 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr.

Undeveloped Bee (no functional stinger or wings - note the white rear):
IMG_0011 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr

IMG_0001 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr
Morning.

Starting the dissection:
IMG_0031 by Dan Ofer, on Flickr
(Balancing pins, wings, legs, scissors and pliers is tricky, even when you're chopping off extraneous limbs!)
Locusta Migratoria (The wandering Locust).
Photography
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

If there's one thing I must say about Afga Vista film, is that the colors certainly give an interesting vintage look. Of course, resolution is rather low with this film.

Again, taken with the CV 35mm/f1.2. And yes, there's dust, despite my best attempts to get rid of them.

These are some of my better shots, and I have found out the hard way that color film is a royal pain in the butt the expose properly in low light conditions.

Kreia
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:If there's one thing I must say about Afga Vista film, is that the colors certainly give an interesting vintage look. Of course, resolution is rather low with this film.
Which ISO version of the film are you using? Going by the manufacturer's tech sheets as well as this chart, Vista 100 should have pretty good resolution. The higher speed versions aren't as sharp but they're still up there compared to other films of the same speed.
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:These are some of my better shots, and I have found out the hard way that color film is a royal pain in the butt the expose properly in low light conditions.
The thing to remember about negative film is it's the opposite of digital & slide film, you can overexpose it by quite a lot without blowing out the highlights. When in doubt, overexpose it so you can capture the shadow details. This page has examples of how much you can vary the exposures while still getting decent results.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote:Which ISO version of the film are you using? Going by the manufacturer's tech sheets as well as this chart, Vista 100 should have pretty good resolution. The higher speed versions aren't as sharp but they're still up there compared to other films of the same speed.
I think either Vista 200 or Vista 400. I suspect the latter. That might explain a bit.
The thing to remember about negative film is it's the opposite of digital & slide film, you can overexpose it by quite a lot without blowing out the highlights. When in doubt, overexpose it so you can capture the shadow details. This page has examples of how much you can vary the exposures while still getting decent results.
I had some bad experiences to some extent with Vista 400 at night. But let me rescan the whole lot because the lab that did the scanning did a horrible job at it. *mutters*
Kreia
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

aerius wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:If there's one thing I must say about Afga Vista film, is that the colors certainly give an interesting vintage look. Of course, resolution is rather low with this film.
Which ISO version of the film are you using? Going by the manufacturer's tech sheets as well as this chart, Vista 100 should have pretty good resolution. The higher speed versions aren't as sharp but they're still up there compared to other films of the same speed.
1. AgfaPhoto Vista 200 and 400 films sold in stores now are actually Fujifilm Superia. The AgfaPhoto factory in Leverkusen closed down in 2006 and the stocks of real Agfa Vista film ran out already in 2009 in most places. The only "real" Agfa films available now are Precisa CT 100 slide film and APX 100 & 400 B&W in some places, although the B&W films have been mostly sold out as well, and the availability of the Precisa slide films was always spotty outside of Europe. So anyways, if your film was bought in 2010, there is a good chance it is Superia, which is an okay film, but I thought you should know this. What do the film edge markings say?

2. You are using a Canoscan 9000F scanner, so low resolution is the order of the day. The true optical resolution of the 8600F/8800F/9000F series scanners is only 1800-2000 ppi, which means that you will only get about 5 MP worth of information at best, and actually less than that due to interesting scanning phenomena like grain aliasing. If it's any consolation, there is actually a Finnish photography magazine that compared images scanned with the Canoscan 8800F from 645 MF film with DSLR images and declared that MF film can't compete even with 12 MP DSLRs in resolution. That made my eyes rolling so bad it still hurts :roll: :mrgreen:

Oh, lab scans. Any lab that uses flatbed CanoScans is BS. Epson V700 is the absolute minimum quality I would accept. Most good labs actually used minilab accessory scanners like Fujifilm SP-3000, which is pretty good. Real pro scans are usually more expensive, though, because they are slower and more labor intensive to do; there is no way to fully automate work flow with a Nikon 9000 or Flextight, let alone drum scanners.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I contemplated getting the Epson V700, but it's out of my budget and I won't invest in something like that for now.

According to the shop I got the Afga APX film from, a German company took it up and is producing them.

Incidentally, he does have a stock of Precisa which I will try eventually, once I work out the kinks of exposure.

Anyhow, some APX 100 shots:

Kreia
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I contemplated getting the Epson V700, but it's out of my budget and I won't invest in something like that for now.

According to the shop I got the Afga APX film from, a German company took it up and is producing them.

Incidentally, he does have a stock of Precisa which I will try eventually, once I work out the kinks of exposure.
The CanoScans are okay for net size viewing, but if you want prints bigger than 15x23 cm, you're going to need something better.

About APX: yeah, but they won't be using the Agfaphoto name, so if it says Agfa or AgfaPhoto, it's still from the old stocks of film coated before 2007.

About Precisa: the Precisa is fairly forgiving for a slide film, so if your camera meter is calibrated correctly, I would just use that without worrying too much, but as usual with slide film you want to apply negative exposure compensation for very contrasty scenes to avoid blow out highlights. Bracketing is also a good idea. Basically you can treat is similarly to small sensor digital compacts, although it is good to remember that it actually has less dynamic range in the shadows, so getting blocked (completely black) shadows is easier if you apply too much negative exp. compensation. The nice thing about slide film is that black areas really are black without any grain, unlike with digital or color negative film, which can be used to an advantage. Unfortunately scanning will introduce a little noise.