The Frankenstorm Comes to New York (56K, die)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

The Frankenstorm Comes to New York (56K, die)

Post by fgalkin »

So, here's a pictorial depository of your Sandy Experience.

Courtesy of the Crappy iPhone Camera: (since there has been some confusion, those are thumbnails. Click on them).

Sunday night. Building's doors, all taped up and ready to go.

Monday, 8 AM. Palisades Medical Center's parking lot is already flooded. No evacuation, and not a sandbag in sight:

NYC:

These poor suckers down below got flooded and still don't have power. No evacuation order ever came:

6pm. Water is rising:

8 pm. River Road is flooded:

9 pm. Pitch black:

The next morning:

Overnight, the hospital's generators failed and new ones had to be delivered in the midst of the storm. Now, the patients are being evacuated at last, a day too late:

Fallen trees along River Road:

Storm damage in Northern NJ:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2012-11-09 04:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: The Frankenstorm Comes to New York (56K, die)

Post by fgalkin »

Wednesday, Halloween.

Over the bus stop. Well, this does look kinda scary:

The crane:

Tim, don't look!

There once was a boat from Nantucket....

NYC Subways:
No buses below 14th street because no streetlights are working. I've had to walk to Battery Park and back, with a short stop at the office.

Lower Manhattan:

Incidentally, this was the only business open on the street:

Everything else, powerless and closed:

Fallen tree:

Holland Tunnel:

Pothole:

Battery Tunnel:

Battery Park:

Press:

South Street Ferry subway station- flooded top to ceiling:

Can't actually see it, though:

Work work:

The Battery Underpass:

They crucified Mickey, the bastards!

Pumping out water from an underground garage:

Sandbags:

Cleanup crew:

Two guys working, five guys talking. Typical NYC efficiency.

People waiting for the bus. Actually, no bus is running here, but no one told them:

This may be the only damaged building in all of Manhattan:

The other side of the street:

Another damage building close to the office:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Friday, November 2nd. The Gas Station Blues:

Another one opens!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Saturday, November 3rd. Since I don't have cable at home, so no Internet access, I've decided to get off my ass and do something useful. After being given the runaround by various relief organizations, I've ended up volunteering at a community center in Brooklyn. And so, ladies and gentlemen,

Welcome to Brighton Beach:
This is not storm damage. It's always like this.

The Boardwalk:

In Soviet Brighton, Beach Comes to You!

Nevertheless, business is booming:

If the Business of America is Business, the Business of Brighton Beach is peddling slightly damaged goods:

Flood damage? What flood damage?! It's a brand new machine, I tell you!

The Shorefront Y, where I volunteered:

Look Marina, Soviet-style breadlines:

11:30 AM, the food truck arrives:

There was no place for the truck to park, so it had to move to the other side of the street. The result?

CHAAARGE!

It was a nightmare. People were trampled in the stampede. What's really sad is almost none of these people actually needed the food. But, as they say in the Motherland, "even vinegar is sweet if it is free"

The cops, trying and totally failing to keep order:

Barry Weiss, is that you?

Eventually, we've managed to set a table up, and open up the truck.

These guys are pretty cool. They're an organic dairy distributor who were donating a truckload of their stuff

Naturally, the crowd went mad

I've had to take control and set up makeshift barricades to control the flow:

Eventually, a semblance of order was restored:

The line, 1 pm:

Trash:

Overall, it was an unmitigated disaster. People would stand, arguing with us about what they got, or trying to trade in their buttermilk to get a carton of milk. People would stand in line with bags full of groceries that they've bought in the supermarket nearby. Others would hide their ration and stand in line three or four times to get more. Yet others would stand in the way, "just watching," until I've had enough and shouted at them via the loudspeaker, "Comrades, stop watching us. We are not the Circus."

Eventually, we've had enough and decided to give the rest of the stuff to a retirement home nearby that actually lacks power, water, and heat.

The cleanup. Out of nowhere, a Dept. of Sanitation official appeared, and summoned a garbage truck:

The retirement home:

Here, people have actually appreciated it what we were doing instead of cursing us out. Still, the super forbade us from going door to door, so we've had to limit ourselves to those who could actually walk outside.

Total number of thanks received: 4.

Tomorrow, another truck arrives and I will be doing this all over again. Not because we're actually helping anyone, but because they're going to need every person they can get. After that, I'm probably going to the nearest shelter as soon as that's done.

Did I mention that Brighton Beach is populated by the dregs of Odessa and I fucking hate it?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Sunday, November 4th.

So, I got to the Y the next day, expecting another day of complete mayhem. Fortunately, there were good news. Another truck was indeed coming, but rather than giving it out to the residents, we would make a list of all the housebound seniors who cannot leave their buildings because the elevators werent running and deliver the food to their doors. Unfortunately, the truck was running late, and no one had any idea when it would get there because the cellphones weren't working properly due to storm damage to the towers.

So, I was standing outside with the Y's volunteer coordinator, when these nice blokes appeared out of nowhere.

Turns out, the city was doing its own relief effort. Right in front of our loading dock. Well, crap.

Still, we gathered up our volunteers

A COJO bigshot appeared, and started giving out assignments. Turns out, the Y was notified, just no one bothered to inform us of the fact. Given last night's experience, I got to be in charge of our volunteers assisting the Guardsmen with crowd control. Swell.

Here are these fine blokes, not paying much attention to anything

Meanwhile, a small group of various officials has gathered outside and was busy deciding who is in charge of what

Even the Homophobe Army was there, although with only two geezers, they weren't doing much of anything except taking credit

Meanwhile, the Horde was already gathering:

About two dozen cops showed up:

Then...nothing. The Guardsmen and city officials were waiting for supplies to arrive, but no one knew what these supplies would be, or when they are coming. Eventually, the time of 1 pm was announced. At that time, it was 11:30. Swell.

Eventually, trucks did start to arrive:

So did an AT&T antenna truck, that was supposed to improve reception (it didn't)

Mobile charging station, too:

This was 12:30 or so. People in the crowd were beginning to get agitated.

Soon, busses arrived and disgorged a literal army of city volunteers:

And work began in earnest

I have to say, the effort was extremely impressive. I was jealous.

Our truck showed up, too, but was turned away:

The crowds were getting antsy, but they weren't distributing anything:

Not all supplies had arrived, you see. So, at about 1:30, this shows up:

And distribution began:

They gave everyone bags, and then each volunteer at their station gave them an item. It was extremely fast and efficient. Even dozens of Hispanic line-jumpers who "misplaced" theirs ("get on the subway and get over here, they are giving out free food!" I overheard one scream into his phone as I was passing by) did not delay the effort by much.
The line was long, but moved quickly:

They ran out quickly, but so did the line. Then, more trucks began to arrive, carrying more supplies:

And the lines began again.

It was a great effort, but 3 days too late and in the wrong place. Brighton had open stores, it did not need survival rations. These supplies were desperately needed in Coney Island, Seagate, Red Hook, and the Rockaways. Instead, they went to the place of million dollar condos and Maseratis:
Image Parked right outside of the Y.

Meanwhile, back at the Y, our volunteers were busy bagging up the food we did have available, and preparing it to be delivered the next day:

While working with the crowd, I have taken down more than 60 addresses of senior citizens who needed help, so they had plenty of destinations. So, at least, it wasn't a total waste like the day before.

Also, apparently, using a bullhorn to give directions is inhumane and disrespectful, according to the Mayor's office. We must engage in face to face communication as equals or some such.

Yeah, you try to explain to a crowd of 600 people how to cook an MRE. Fucking bureaucrat.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2012-11-09 04:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Thanks for posting these. It's good to get some on the ground perspective. Also it seems you have now experienced the "hurry up & wait" of every emergency response, disaster relief or military operation known to man.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Since there has been some confusion, those are thumbnails. Click on them!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin