Ten Year 9/11 Tribute Cake

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Ten Year 9/11 Tribute Cake

Post by Isolder74 »

I am currently in the process of making a Ladder Truck cake for the 10th year anniversary of 9/11. This post is a place holder for when I have the pictures of the cake uploaded and ready to post. Stay tuned for epic cake sculpting!

Epic Cake sculpting completed! I have finished and delivered the cake for the firefighters. This time I took the cake to the main HQ where they keep the city's Ladder unit.

Pictures of stage one of the truck's construction.

Stage two of the cake's construction. Frosting the cake. Hi Tim!

Stage three adding on the wheels and the ladder.

A close up of the Wheel Wells.

A close up of some of the details. These are photoshoped to zoom into them so the picture quality won't be as good.

(Edit: Boy do I look tired!)

The finished cake and me posing with it. The final cake ended up weighing almost 40 pounds. on the side of the cake is written, "To Our Heroes. We Remember and Thank You." The truck itself is patterned after Ladder 3 one of the fire units destroyed when the towers collapsed down onto it. It's probably not a perfect recreation as all I can find are photos of the damaged truck which isn't much help.

I'd estimate that 99% of the truck is edible. That is leaving off the toothpicks holding on the hoses on the side and the foil on the gum. The cabinets are Big Red Gum, the hoses are black licorice, the Diamond-plate Extra gum(Thanks Wrigley's for dying the once perfect Spearmint GREEN!!!!!! :evil: :banghead: ), the bumpers and ladder are sugar cookies, and the lights are Jolly Ranchers.

The firefighters posing with the cake on the bumper of the Ladder unit. One of the firefighters loved the little details on the cake including the diamond-plate, the cannon, and the little doors on the sides of the cake. In fact that was all one of the four could talk about was the fact I added in the utility cabinets onto the side.
Last edited by Isolder74 on 2011-09-14 08:48am, edited 4 times in total.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Isolder74

Re: Ten Year 9/11 Tribute Cake

Post by Isolder74 »

Updated with the pictures!

As always comments are always welcome.
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Freaking awesome as always. It makes me laugh to know you impressed the firmen so much with your attention to detail. The fact you can make such great work AND have it tasty and edible is what always impresses me :D
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

One of the firefighters said to another that the candy hoses on the cake were put away neater then you do them. Man those were a bear to get looking halfway decent. Licorice isn't made for stacking neatly. They all geeked out about the little cannons I'd made however. One even played with the one on the cab giggling like a little kid.

xImage
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

That is actually a really nice cake, and an awesome tribute to the fireman as well.