Looking for CAD/Graphic Design Software Hybrid

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Temujin
Jedi Master

Looking for CAD/Graphic Design Software Hybrid

Post by Temujin »

My apologies in advance. I know we have a sticky for resources, but most of the posts are over 5 years old and irregardless I'm not getting any help from it. Tried some searches, but no help there.

Anyway. I'm interested in doing some drawing/designing of among other things, spaceships/starships. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any kind of starship creator software of something akin to Shipbucket for starships (though that would be awesome).

I was looking around some sites, notably Ex-Astris and The Starfleet Museum. Okazaki uses Macromedia Freehand 7 for his work, while Bernd Schneider gives a comparison here of different software with iGrafx Designer coming out on top.

What I like about iGrafx Designer, now known as Corel Designer, is that it is (supposed to be) in some ways suitable for engineering drawings like AutoCAD, but also has graphic design functions. Once upon a time I did drafting/design work and utilized various CAD programs including AutoCAD, so I'm comfortable with that kind of interface and find it easy to use. I don't need anything like 3D or solid modeling capabilities, just something to make quality orthographic views. Though most CAD programs I was familiar with didn't have good graphic design functions and hence produce work comparable to what's on the sites I mentioned.

Unfortunately new software costs an arm and a leg, and I can't find any older version like Corel Designer 9 on Amazon.

So does anyone know of software that is along the lines of iGrafx/Corel Designer? Is there suitable freeware available or a cheaper older version that one could buy at a discount price? Etc, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]