SDN Photo-a-Day (Rules updates - read the OP)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: SDN Photo-a-Day

Post by phongn »

Some macrophotography fun (120/4 645 lens on an adapter to my 400D ... which proceeded to utterly confuse the meter. Shot 1/160 F4, lit by an LED flashlight)

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

If you don't mind me asking... what's it a macro photo of?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

It's a pen knife.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

My husband makes a mockery of some statues.

Oh lord, I pray for money to fall from the sky...

Ouch! Right in the ding-dong!

And a straight right to the liver, ohhh, that's gotta hurt!

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Your feminine sense for details has you taking way better pictures than your husband :D.
Second and third shots could use tighter (closer) composition though, the frame lacks energy.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

2 shots from the Air & Space Smithsonian:
IMG_2116

IMG_2061
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

There's gold in them windows. Several million dollars worth of pure gold.

Last edited by aerius on 2009-06-20 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mmm, Canonet.

Canon 400D, 120mm/F4 Pentax 645 Macro on a Fotodiox adapter, shot F11 and some shutter speed I can't remember.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

And in case it's arachnids you go for...

Or if it's flower close up shots that get you off...

(The last two were taken with a concuño's more serious camera)
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Aerius: Nice pair of shots! Nice job of exposure on tyhe first shot, and the second shot is really nice (I know how hard it can be to get a decent shot from buildings in a city).
Photography
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

DEATH wrote:Aerius: Nice pair of shots! Nice job of exposure on tyhe first shot
It's actually some serious Photoshop work with masks in LAB colour mode, plus knowing how to take advantage of digital's shadow details. The original looks like this. So basically, I had to mask out the centre part and make only the rocks brighter, then get everything colour balanced so the lighting doesn't look wrong.

and the second shot is really nice (I know how hard it can be to get a decent shot from buildings in a city).
This one's actually a panorama, my wide angle still wasn't wide enough, plus I had to remove a lamp post and a few other things to clear out the sky.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

My bank's headquarters building

Our bank of commerce has naked womens, and is not safe for children
Unfortunately there's a stupid wire in the way.

My husband's favourite store in town. Do you think he has a drug problem?

The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Great shot of the bank, colourful and excellent composition. For the second shot, my solution is just to get close and stretch my arms up, the perspective is horrible, but it beats wires.
Your husband has a smack problem I think. Give him some more :)
Photography
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

DEATH wrote:For the second shot, my solution is just to get close and stretch my arms up, the perspective is horrible, but it beats wires.
This is the full picture from which the crop was taken. The perspective would be beyond horrible unless I put the camera on the end of a 10 metre pole. It's a lot bigger than it looks from the first picture.

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

DEATH wrote:Your husband has a smack problem I think. Give him some more :)
I don't have a heroin problem. I encourage recreational marijuana use, but not heroin.
That's hard stuff, and I ain't touching it.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

J wrote:
DEATH wrote:For the second shot, my solution is just to get close and stretch my arms up, the perspective is horrible, but it beats wires.
This is the full picture from which the crop was taken. The perspective would be beyond horrible unless I put the camera on the end of a 10 metre pole. It's a lot bigger than it looks from the first picture.
Ouch, yeah the full pic is crap. You should have run into the middle o the street to get rid of the wires, then taken a picture :D.
aerius wrote:
DEATH wrote:Your husband has a smack problem I think. Give him some more :)
I don't have a heroin problem. I encourage recreational marijuana use, but not heroin.
That's hard stuff, and I ain't touching it.
Smack, crack, hack, flack, whatever you damn canooks call it :P
Photography
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Went up to the Sandia Mountains up on the east side of Albuquerque on Thursday with the gf. Managed to take a hike to the tram and back to the crest, about a three mile round trip. It was a really nice but cool day two miles up. Here is the world's longest passenger aerial tramway with one of the tram cars about to dock at the top.

When the spanish first came to what is now New Mexico, they called the mountains the Sandias, which in spanish means watermelon. The color the granite mountains gives off at sunset is a very pink, almost like a mile high slice of watermelon.

And at the end of the trip, the beautiful Albuquerque sunset, which was the real reason for going up in the first place. When the clouds are just right, it can be wonderful. This isn't really what I was looking for but it was very pretty none the less.

The sunset at 10,678 feet. (3,255 m) This is the end of your New Mexico tour for the day. Thank you and remember to keep all arms and legs inside until the ride has come to a full stop.
d(-_-)b
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Are you doing any kind of post-processing on those photos? The last two aren't level and it is extremely distracting and is drawing attention away from the photograph.

The exposure looks great on all of them, and the last two in particular look good but it's just the lack of being level that kills them for me.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Practice shots with my new Canon Powershot SX 10IS....

Night shot

Green tentacles!

Depth of field testing. I admit my hands were a bit shaky when I took this picture. :(

Hoping to do moon shots when the full moon comes around. I'm still familiarizing myself with the SX10's menu / controls since it is a bit different that my old Powershot A550. :)
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Another picture of the statues, this time with a properly respectful mood.

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Image Image
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Instant Sunrise wrote:Are you doing any kind of post-processing on those photos? The last two aren't level and it is extremely distracting and is drawing attention away from the photograph.

The exposure looks great on all of them, and the last two in particular look good but it's just the lack of being level that kills them for me.
Mine? No, there is no touching up, just resizing them. And my dad's old tripod tends to tilt just ever so slightly. I try to adjust by shortening one leg just a bit. But sometimes, it just isn't enough. (if that's what you mean by level.)

*Edit, might as well throw in a couple pics.

We had gone up to the crest a few days before I could get the pics of the sunset and just when it was about to go down, it started to rain and there was a bit of lightning. We had to leave early, but I still managed to take a few before we ran away from nature.

And on a different note, the kitchen manager at my work did this for a catering's decoration and asked me to take a picture and send it to him. I thought it was a very nice piece of work.
d(-_-)b
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Not much time to shoot, or really do much of anything lately. Had to make a run down to the harbor with my digicam in the middle of a rare evening out with my girlfriend, to give an idea. Not much choice in the matter, though - one of the Herreshoff 30s, launched here last summer, was back in town a year later & I couldn't miss it. Two unrelated photos to follow because of the three-photo cap.

Shots were taken in overcast twilight with no flash with my little Canon, hence the noise and flat lighting. Better than nothing at all. Also note that the particular challenge of marine photography, even dockside, is that everything, and I mean everything, moves. Constantly.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Our boats are bigger. :P

The colours are pretty wrong since I had the camera set to circus colour vivid for shooting glass skyscrapers and forgot to reset it back to a more realistic mode.

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

A couple shots from the Lincoln Park Zoo:

Image Image