SDN Photo-a-Day (Rules updates - read the OP)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: SDN Photo-a-Day

Post by aerius »

Simplicius wrote:and I just finished reading Ansel Adams's Examples, which I recommend to absolutely anyone who is at all interested in the craft of photography.
I had that book on loan from the library for almost 2 months and it was part of my daily toilet reading during that time. He describes the visualization process and all the other stuff that goes into making the photos, but it still boggles my mind that it was possible. To hear him describe it the process doesn't seem all that hard, but then again it rarely looks hard when the experts are doing it.

My favourite photo from the book is the Buddhist cemetary in Hawaii with the rainbow in the background.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Well, I not too long ago, I bought myself a nice little DSLR and this is seems like a good place to show off some work

When we first moved to Albuquerque, this is the place I always wanted to live. It just seemed so cool, being the only tall building in it's area. Also, this is me playing around with the filter settings on my DSLR

I like this one because of the plastic feel the flowers have. Although, they were very real while they were still alive.

This last one is something that I really like. I took the picture and in a matter of seconds, my girlfriend went in and added her photoshop flare to it.

To which the original can be found here. I got the idea to flip it from a website talking about adding a surreal look to pictures that had about a 50/50 reflection on water. And in a matter of some mouse clicks, she turned it trully surreal.
d(-_-)b
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

What's the note say, Sim?

And B, can you tell me where I can find a full resolution copy of your first flower picture? It'd make a nice desktop.
XXXI
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

Phantasee wrote:What's the note say, Sim?
"Free Bread."

Which was great for me, because I doubt I could afford to pay a model.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

And B, can you tell me where I can find a full resolution copy of your first flower picture? It'd make a nice desktop.
Link

That's the largest image size I can offer you without having the negatives rescanned.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

What, no 1680x1050? :P

Thanks, it looks so bright on my screen.
XXXI
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pentax 645, you are mine.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Mall shots while on the way home. I used a Canon Powershot A550, ISO 80. Too bad the guard and those 2 women came in the frame just when the camera snapped.

My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I've been comparing Kodak 100 and Fuji Reala 100 for a bit. I like both, though both have some pros and cons:

Reala does a really fine job of blues. Water just looks great on it, and greens are pretty good, too.
100UC is very good at oranges, reds and the like. Greens are pretty decent. It also has noticeably finer grain than Reala.

Kodak, per their motto of "get consumers enjoying a product, then get rid of it" is replacing 100UC with Ektar 100, which does seems to be a rather neat film. Unfortunately, they're also canceling 400UC, which I've been meaning to try as well (got some in 135, though).

EDIT: Also, a couple shots with my Canonet in 100UC.

It's blurry (I didn't have a notebook, but I think I tried shooting at something like 1/8th of a second handheld) and possibly the focus is slightly off, but I quite enjoy this shot:

Also, the sunrise illuminating a bench:
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

First shot is great, though could use some composition tweaking (lower corner, and it's a tiny bit off balance).
Second shot is nice, good colours.

After not posting any pictures in this thread for a month, how would people feel if I uploaded a bit more than 3 in a day? (From my batches of US pics?).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

DEATH wrote:After not posting any pictures in this thread for a month, how would people feel if I uploaded a bit more than 3 in a day? (From my batches of US pics?).
I'd accuse you of hogging the thread, and demand that you put your pictures in a new thread. :P

3 photos/person/day keeps this thread manageable so we all have time to look at the pictures and offer comments & advice, more than that and I tend to get lost if I don't follow the thread religiously. I think it would be best if you started a pic thread of your US trip and sort out the best pictures from there to post in this thread.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

J wrote:
DEATH wrote:After not posting any pictures in this thread for a month, how would people feel if I uploaded a bit more than 3 in a day? (From my batches of US pics?).
I'd accuse you of hogging the thread, and demand that you put your pictures in a new thread. :P

3 photos/person/day keeps this thread manageable so we all have time to look at the pictures and offer comments & advice, more than that and I tend to get lost if I don't follow the thread religiously. I think it would be best if you started a pic thread of your US trip and sort out the best pictures from there to post in this thread.
I'll be making a number of seperate threads for the different US photo threads (I have thousands of pictures ;)).

Uploading a few selections out of the USA thread is what I was planning to do anyway, and I do filter the best photos for uploading :P. (It's just that i'm not that good at filtering. And I have a TON of photos).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

DEATH wrote:Uploading a few selections out of the USA thread is what I was planning to do anyway, and I do filter the best photos for uploading :P. (It's just that i'm not that good at filtering. And I have a TON of photos).
Here's as good a chance as any to get some editing practice, then. Take as long as you need to sort through them all; it's not as if the thread is going anywhere. :) I'd say do same with the mega-threads - set a target of, say, your ten favorite photos from each place you went to, and edit down to that.

Being able to pick the handful of winners from a sea of photos is definitely a useful skill, and one you'll need unless you only ever shoot for magazines.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

And here's a few shots of Reala 100. Yes, there's flare :P

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Simplicius wrote:
DEATH wrote:Uploading a few selections out of the USA thread is what I was planning to do anyway, and I do filter the best photos for uploading :P. (It's just that i'm not that good at filtering. And I have a TON of photos).
Here's as good a chance as any to get some editing practice, then. Take as long as you need to sort through them all; it's not as if the thread is going anywhere. :) I'd say do same with the mega-threads - set a target of, say, your ten favorite photos from each place you went to, and edit down to that.

Being able to pick the handful of winners from a sea of photos is definitely a useful skill, and one you'll need unless you only ever shoot for magazines.
I'm going to upload the same amount of pics per thread that I always do post filtering, 10-18 max.
And I have 3,342 pictures after filtering, cut me some slack :P ;)
Photography
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

I'd sworn off flowers for a while but couldn't resist taking a picture of this one in someone's front yard.

And a sunset on a beach. Wish I had a film camera for this one.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

EDIT: Oops, took the res down to 1200, corrected to 1020 now.

I like the night photos.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Beautiful setting at a golf course. I regretably didn't take my tripod and this is the best one I have. I still think it came out pretty cool.

Took this one a day ago, sitting out in front of my home.

And this one was taken tonight. Pretty fun not having to deal with film anymore.
d(-_-)b
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Somewhere near the Uganda/Kenya border. It looks a lot cooler at full resolution.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Espresso from a little shop in NYC. Yes, the cream came in that leaf shape, and somehow held despite me drinking it:

Also, inspired by a much earlier thread and my wanderings in the Met:

Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Hey WP, can you give us a link to the full resolution image?

I like your shot of the coffee, Phong. Very clean.
XXXI
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Almost finished filtering on the "delete" level of my USA pics. Down to a selection of 200-400 photos a city :p.

Fuckit, here are three shots from the ACME metal casting foundry in California, LA:

IMG_1615
IMG_1636
IMG_1665
Photography
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It's not a photo as such, but it's photography-related:

1966 body
1968 lens
19?? factory-original take-up spool
1980 Vivitar 2600 flash
2008 soft-release button
2008 leather neck strap
2008 lens hood
2009 coldshoe-to-hotshoe mod

That's parts spanning half a century bolted onto a camera designed in the thirties... and it all works. Well, sort of, the sync shorts out when the flash finishes charging before the shutter is recocked, but nothing's perfect.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Brussels! Craphole of crapholes. It has a few sights to see... too bad they're all in Brussels.

Unfortunately I forgot I only had a 24-shot roll with me. And it was mostly full. Lesson learned, I suppose.

And this is from the cell phone: