Shep Goes to Navy Yard (56k Die)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Shep Goes to Navy Yard (56k Die)

Post by MKSheppard »

A few days ago, I visited the Navy Yard in DC and their museum.

Alas, the Cold War Gallery seems to be only open with an appointment. :evil:

But the up to WW2 gallery is still open to walk ins.

As you enter the museum via a walkbridge after you park in a parking garage, you run across this:

The Plaque says:
SWIFT BOAT PCF-1

Dedicated on 23 April 1998
By Senator John F. Kerry
and Wade Sanders of the
Swift Boat Sailors Association, Inc

In recognition of those who served
and in memory of lost comrades
As you continue further down, you find the Museum in a white building:

The plates on the two anchors read (left to right)
ANCHOR
FROM STEAM SLOOP-OF-WAR
USS HARTFORD

BUILT IN BOSTON
NAVY YARD, 1858

ADMIRAL FARRAGUT'S
FLAGSHIP
AT BATTLES OF NEW ORLEANS
AND MOBILE BAY

---------------

SIX-TON STARBOARD ANCHOR
FROM
USS ANZIO CVHE 57

BUILT AT
VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON 1943

ORIGINALLY NAMED
USS CORAL SEA
RENAMED OCTOBER 1944

Closeup of the plaque on the building. It used to be a naval gun factory.

Outside, they have a lot of old weapons -- this is one of them. The plaque on it's stand reads:
CONFEDERATE BROOKE 6.4-INCH DOUBLE-BANDED
RIFLE FROM CSS TENNESSEE
When you enter the museum, this is what it looks like:

Near the front, in a little annex, they have a Submarine room, with Periscopes you can look through (it was my favorite part of the museum as a Kid)

BTW, the flag at the upper left is the War Flag from the USS Louisana from the Gulf War.

As you continue further down; you run across this fighting top:

It was removed from the USS Constitution during a restoration in the 1960s or 1970s.

They have a lot of certainly interesting civil war artifacts in the place:

The plaque in the case reads:
Blah blah blah....

Rear Admiral David D. Porter obtained a few Gatlings, including
this one, for his Mississippi Flotilla. Although its use in naval engagements
is unknown, the gun was probably used during the last 18 months of the Civil
War in river patrols against Confederate Guerillas.

That's the wheel of the Steam Sloop of war USS Hartford; Farragut's flagship at New Orleans.

As you continue down, they have some nice models of the New Steam Navy

Until it segues into the WWII Gallery after some WWI stuff.

The prop you can see at the top of that image is from a F4U which hangs from the ceiling.

BTW, the plate on that gantry crane is:

So onto the WWII Stuff:

Slate gray working uniform, USN. Offered better camouflage, etc; but was wildly unpopular, replaced with Khakis again in 1945.

Cutaway model of an Allen M Sumner class DD for engineering classes to show how a ship is laid out.

Essex Model.

Iowa Model

Detailed cutaway model of a LCI (i think). The pictures do not do justice to how fucking HUGE this thing is.

At the very end of the museum, they have some exhibits devoted to underwater exploration

I think this is just the exterior shell and perhaps the old Steel Sphere from when the Alvin was rebuilt in the early 80s.

Bathyscape Trieste. Placed here when the Trieste II entered service in USN.

After I finished the museum, I went out to Willard Park, where there are some artifacts:

Reason that sphere is so shiny? It's Titanitium. It's the prototype that was built when
Alvin's Sphere was replaced in the 1980s with another titanitium one.

18" gun built for the South Dakota Class BBs in the 1920s

REMEMBER THE MAINE!

ARMOR PLATE

This 26-inch armor plate was intended for use in Japanese YAMATO class battleships.
Found in the Kure Naval Base shortly after the end of World War II, it was shipped to
the Naval Proving Ground at Dahlgren, Virginia, for ballistics tests. The damage to this
particular section was inflicted by the impact of a standard US Navy 16-inch armor piercing
projectile.
:lol:

Then it was time to wander over to the Museum Ship Barry:

As you climb onto the stern, you see the new Nationals Stadium on the otherside of the river:

If you are lucky, you will see Naval personnel doing VITAL WORK

I bet lonestar misses those days :lol:

As you wander through the ship, you find random interesting things:

GREEN! My Favorite Color!

ATOM-BOMB and RADIO-ACTIVITY!

Yes, that's some nice standard equipment.

Don't tread on me jack flying at bow.

Behold the great 1970s deco of the Wardroom!

And this is in the smithsonian Air and Space's basement....the actual shooting model from
TOS of the Enterprise.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

It's been ages since I've been to that museum. I really should go back some time soon. Shep, you wouldn't happen to know if they've put any new exhibits in there in say, the last 5-10 years or so? Or is it the same as you remember from back in the day?
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I am Envious of you here Shep, Getting to see all that navy stuff while i have never been able to do so.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shep, did you happen to take pictures of other battleship models?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

So, how did the internal quality of the Barry compare to the Turner Joy, Shep, based on my extensive photos and descriptions of the later?

They both seem in damned fine shape.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Did you see Special Agent Gibbs of NCIS going in to work? :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

RogueIce wrote:Did you see Special Agent Gibbs of NCIS going in to work? :D
Ha!

That actually reminds me of a story from the NCIS Special Features from Season 2 I think it was. Mark Harmon was invited to attend a meeting at the NCIS HQ in LA (or was it San Diego?) where he even participated a bit, the higher-ups present apparently not even realizing he wasn't an actual NCIS agent but just an actor who plays one.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

First boat picture is fantastic, as is the first picture of the battleship.

You have the right idea about interesting angles (the second photos of each ship, and the cannon for example) but you need to work at it. (Try going lower/further/closer and practicing with slight variants).

Your museum shots are MUCH better now without the constant shake and flash your old shots had. (All your photos are pretty good really, you might have a future as a liberal artsy pantsy pinko wishy washy, well, you get the gist ;))
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Wait... Did my eyes deceive me, or was it possible for you to actually walk right up to and touch Trieste? The only manned vehicle to have been to the bottom of the ocean?

God-damn.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I like the wardroom pictures.

When we started seaQuest we were allowed to visit an SSN and be guided around inside, and take a few pictures. When one of the execs asked the production designer what the inside of the seaQuest should look like, he shrugged and said "Let's try high-tech Winnebago."
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

How does that explain the After Burner style helm stations? Which I loved.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Did you see Special Agent Gibbs of NCIS going in to work? :D
Ha!

That actually reminds me of a story from the NCIS Special Features from Season 2 I think it was. Mark Harmon was invited to attend a meeting at the NCIS HQ in LA (or was it San Diego?) where he even participated a bit, the higher-ups present apparently not even realizing he wasn't an actual NCIS agent but just an actor who plays one.
San Diego I think it was. Apparently he was asked to give a presentation or something.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

That gray uniform looks positively bitching. Other than its uncanny similarity to a Nazi uniform, I don't get why it was unpopular among the seamen and officers.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

tim31 wrote:How does that explain the After Burner style helm stations? Which I loved.

Very hi-tech Winnebago.

We called those the 'cobra' seats.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Pew-pew!

I notice that Shep didn't put in any of the pictures of me.... :cry:
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Also:

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

I notice that Shep didn't put in any of the pictures of me.... :cry:
I went there by myself! How was I supposed to take pictures of you? Magic?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:
I went there by myself! How was I supposed to take pictures of you? Magic?
Is that the way it's going to be?

Fine.
Alas, the Cold War Gallery seems to be only open with an appointment.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote:Is that the way it's going to be?
Silly lonestar, the foliage in your pictures is from a WINTER shot, while mine is summer. :D

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Is that the way it's going to be?
Silly lonestar, the foliage in your pictures is from a WINTER shot, while mine is summer. :D
Fuck, iy was pretty goddam Cold this weekend.

Beside, if it was WINTER Foliage, would it look like this?

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stop confusing the poor people by mixing shots of the Navy Yard in DC with one of another museum! :P

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Shep is right. I AM confused. I must confess that I thought the Swift Boats were a lot larger.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

I have to agree I'm digging the grey uniforms.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Zed Snardbody wrote:I have to agree I'm digging the grey uniforms.
Thirded.
Sig by JME2
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Very nice, Shep. Is that Destroyer the same class as the Turner Joy?

I'm so jealous. The more so that the one time I got to very briefly visit the tank museum at Latrun, I had no camera. How can I compete?

I must go back.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!