Anti-grav military utility vehicle

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Anti-grav military utility vehicle

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Here's something I knocked up today while playing around with shapes in Lightwave, in between readdressing Cisco switches and routers. It's meant to be an early anti-grav speeder/flyer kinda thing that the military would use in place of a jeep, something all purpose, small and easily converted for grunts to use in a variety of roles. I've given it some reaction engines on the rear for speed in a straight line, but it's meant to have repulsor-lifts or whatever the hell Trek uses for that role.

It's just a basic idea at the moment, I think the middle section and rear will stay pretty much this same shape, but what I'll do is make some sort of pallet or cover that fits over the rear upper half and converts the thing in to a variety of roles. I could give it modular cargo cases like saddlebags that sit over the upper spine, I could maybe give it a remote controlled weapon mount, or perhaps a sensor suite like the US Army Kiowa helicopters currently in use. I dont know whether to give it retractable undercarriage or go with fixed units to make it look tough and clunky? Anyway, what are the groups thoughts?

visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Why can't you give it all? Like one variant with a sensor suite, another one with modular cargo cases, and the normal variant with a machine gun/auto-GL/whatever.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Yeah, I probably will. The cargo one seems the easiest to do, might start with that one first.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe you could make the windows smaller, or make them look armored or something, I dunno.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

or flat panels, make them easier to replace.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

It looks like it would be good as a scout -- well, providing that the windows have an anti-reflective coating.

Armored vehicles have small, typically slitted windows. It's hard to aim for something you can't see.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

I want a hover tank... Could you slap a cannon on it?
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Given the large cockpit relative to the hull, to me it looks like a hover jeep. Put the turret/sensor/comm gear on the back, behind the cockpit.

Also, since it looks aerodynamic, as the cockpit is flush with the hull. To me, this looks like a high-speed vehicle, so wheels would likely lift into the hull.

There could be refits out there carrying heavier weapons, so they could slow down, and use fixed landing legs/wheels. Or, when trying to save energy, or lower emissions, wheels could be used. The lift system is only used for horizontal thrust, as the wheels take the load.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Thank you for actually having a look at the post and seeing that it's not meant to be a heavily armoured vehicle, just a light vehicle that would perform some of the duties of a Hummer or Jeep in an army where anti-grav is becoming the norm. Since it's not a tank it wont have armoured, slitted windows and nor will it have humungous weapons or the ability to stand up to orbital attack. It WILL have speed and manoueverability on it's side, and it'll get a version with the equivelant of a .50 cal or a TOW system as one variant, an all-purpose version with storage bunkers on it and probably a mobile sensor verion too.

Not too sure how to play it with the landing gear however. Do I give it retractable wheels for landing or running around without A-Grav? Would retractable landing pad-style feet be better? Fixed landing pads might be chunkier and tougher looking, but unaerodynamic and prone to damage. Skids maybe? What would the Army want? I suppose they'd want it to do everything.
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Not too sure how to play it with the landing gear however. Do I give it retractable wheels for landing or running around without A-Grav? Would retractable landing pad-style feet be better? Fixed landing pads might be chunkier and tougher looking, but unaerodynamic and prone to damage. Skids maybe? What would the Army want? I suppose they'd want it to do everything.
I'd say retractable, powered wheels. That way it can land, and then roll away again if -- say -- it comes under attack.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.