Martin Sheen is a complete idiot.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Martin Sheen is a complete idiot.

Post by Perinquus »

Get a load of what he said in a recent interview in The Progressive:

http://www.progressive.org/july03/intv0703.html
Q: When has it become criminal to express yourself in this country?

Sheen: Right now.
This moron is simply delusional. When was the last time he or anyone he's heard of jailed in this country for simply expressing themselves? Do these celebrity leftists hate the president and the Republicans so much that they have to make shit up to accuse them of, or do they really, honestly believe that you can be jailed in the U.S. today for simply speaking your mind? If so, why? What actual basis can they possibly have for such a belief? If Sheen is referring to how unpopular his opposition to the war and his vitriolic attacks attacks on the president and the administration have made him right now, along with other celebrities who have behaved the same way, he's obviously too stupid to differentiate between government oppression and popular disapproval. It seems like he and his fellow celebrities like Tim Robbins and Jeneane Garofalo truly, honestly, really, no shit believe that they not only have the right to say whatever they want, but also the right to be insulated from any negative consequences from what they say. My God! I can't believe these idiots!

He goes on with more nonsense:
Q: Assess the Bush Administration.

Sheen: In order to understand this Administration it is helpful to have a background in [Alcoholics Anonymous's] Twelve Step, because it is real clear to those of us who understand the Twelve Step program that these are very dysfunctional times. We live in a very dysfunctional society, and this is a very, very dysfunctional Administration. The proven way for this Administration to keep power is to keep us all in fear. As long as we are afraid of the unknown and afraid of each other, he, or anyone like him, can rule. It's like they will take responsibility for protecting us. It's when we take back the responsibility for protecting ourselves that they get scared. I am amazed by the level of arrogance within the Administration.
Can you believe this guy? "The proven way for this Administration to keep power is to keep us all in fear." If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black I've never seen it done. It's the Democrats Sheen loves so well that resort to the most blatant fearmongering I've ever seen in politics. From the environment, to race relations, to class warfare, to medicare, to education, it the Democrats, not the repuclicans who do their damndest to scare teh shit out of people. I remember some years ago seeing Congressman John Lewis, D-Ga., on C-Span thundering, "They're coming for the children. They're coming for the poor. They're coming for the sick, the elderly and the disabled." That's an exact quote, not a paraphrase out of my memory by the way. He was referring to a welfare reform bill which was a Republican sponsored measure. He was trying to paint Republicans as evil, heartless bastards who would not just neglect the poor, but actively feed them into the fires so to speak. That's fearmongering.

Other Democrats jumped right on the bandwagon. Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said, "My president will boldly throw 1 million into poverty." Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-Calif., said, "This Grinch-like welfare bill is not just stealing Christmas from poor children. It's stealing their basic safety net." More fearmongering.

Here are a few other Democratic statements meant to inspire fear:

"Republicans are the real threat. They are the real threat to our women; they are the real threat to the clean water, the clean air, the rich landscape of America," said former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo at the Democratic National Convention.

"This is the most despicable, mean-spirited legislative proposal I have seen in all my years of public service," said Gov. Howard Dean, D-Vt., talking about the Republican proposal to increase spending on the school lunch program by over 4 percent.

"What they're trying to do is literally take meals away from kids," said Chief of Staff Leon Panetta on the Republican's school lunch proposal.

"You're a bunch of dictators, that's all you are. I had to fight you guys 50 years ago," said former Rep. Sam Gibbons, D-Fla.

Hell, in the last presidential election, Al Gore used misinformation (i.e. he lied) about prescription drug costs, in an attempt to scare seniors into voting for him instead of Bush.

It's the damn Democrats who constantly resort to fearmongering. Look out! The Republicans are ruining the environment. Look out! The Republicans are taking food out of your children's mouths. Look out! The Republicans are gonna kill seniors with prescription drug costs. Look out! The Republicans are destroying social security. Look out! The Republicans are trying to turn back the clock on civil rights for minorities. etc. etc. etc.

Martin Sheen is living in a fantasy world.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

You expected different from a Hollywood celebrity?
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Sheen is more left wing than most Hollywood folks. His comments don't surprise me at all. He can complain about how awful it is and how draconian this government has become from his nice Hollywood mansion overlooking the valley as he sips on imported wine. Give me a fucking break. :roll:

When the gestapo break down his door and drag him kicking and screaming into the night then tell me about how bad things have become.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

in the words of Jason Lee "Celebrities are idiots"
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

thecreech wrote:in the words of Jason Lee "Celebrities are idiots"
Except for Martin Sheen, by the looks of things.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Hey dumbass, it obviously ISN'T criminal to express yourself, because if it were YOU COULDN'T SAY IT WAS, GENIUS!
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Actors are good at entertaining us. I would recommend that they stick to that at which they excel...
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Ah, yes, Martin Sheen is a great source for intelligent political commentary. Oy...

BTW, who wasn't expecting a load of crap like this from Sheen? Ever since he threatened to move to Canada if we went to war (and didn't carry through), I have lost all respect for him.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Maybe Martin Sheen should realize that he only plays a president on TV, not in real life. Isn't he a high school drop out? I remember reading something on that, but the source was sketchy at best.

I also liked the Dixie Chicks comment on how "we're not allowed to express our opinions." They don't realize, they can, but I'm also allowed to hate them for their opinions. (Not that I hate them or anything. I mean how could you take anything said from that group seriously?)
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Ah, yes, Martin Sheen is a great source for intelligent political commentary. Oy...
You can't find reasonable political discourse anywhere these days.
BTW, who wasn't expecting a load of crap like this from Sheen? Ever since he threatened to move to Canada if we went to war (and didn't carry through), I have lost all respect for him.
I'd like to see a real quote of him saying this. People falsely attributed a similar comment to Alec Baldwin.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Nathan F wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote:

It's rumored that he actually made several attempts before being mildly injured by Celine Dion.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I also liked the Dixie Chicks comment on how "we're not allowed to express our opinions." They don't realize, they can, but I'm also allowed to hate them for their opinions. (Not that I hate them or anything. I mean how could you take anything said from that group seriously?)
You know, this recent double standard applied to Hollywood liberals is getting tired. If we hear Patricia Heaton, Ahnold, Gibson giving their opinion on matters, we don't view it as pushing views on us. However, when a Hollywood liberal has something to say, it's war.

And this crap about Sheen needing to realize he isn't really president? I remember when Bill O'"Really" and Hannity started saying that, then rightwingers across America parroted it as if it supposed to be an argument.

Granted, the D. Chicks and Sheen aren't truly censored, but they're always threatened financially and otherwise by the American peanut gallery everytime they have a word in matters.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Hamel wrote:
Granted, the D. Chicks and Sheen aren't truly censored, but they're always threatened financially and otherwise by the American peanut gallery everytime they have a word in matters.
Non existant god forbid someone would be accountable for there actions when they make a living by entertaining people. :roll: If you annoy your audience you pay the price. If they don’t like it then they can get different jobs.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Scratch that. More accurately:

Granted, the D. Chicks and Sheen aren't truly censored, but they're being threatened financially and otherwise by the American peanut gallery when they have a word in matters.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Non existant god forbid someone would be accountable for there actions when they make a living by entertaining people.
Accountable? Of course everyone should be held accountable for their words and actions! Why aren't RW Hollywood actors held to the same standard of accountability?
If you annoy your audience you pay the price. If they don’t like it then they can get different jobs.
That's all fine and good, but you completely ignore the fact that it's a double standard.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Hamel wrote:
You know, this recent double standard applied to Hollywood liberals is getting tired. If we hear Patricia Heaton, Ahnold, Gibson giving their opinion on matters, we don't view it as pushing views on us. However, when a Hollywood liberal has something to say, it's war.

And this crap about Sheen needing to realize he isn't really president? I remember when Bill O'"Really" and Hannity started saying that, then rightwingers across America parroted it as if it supposed to be an argument.

But it's still their choice. They can either have the guts to risk negative opinion, or they can STFU. But this whiney "I can't speak my mind!" bullshit is just stupid.

If they know their personal opinions are going to piss people off, why broadcast the fact, thereby pissing people off anyway?
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Hamel wrote:
Non existant god forbid someone would be accountable for there actions when they make a living by entertaining people.
Accountable? Of course everyone should be held accountable for their words and actions! Why aren't RW Hollywood actors held to the same standard of accountability?
They are. Have you heard anything good about Charlton Heston at any time in recent memory?
If you annoy your audience you pay the price. If they don’t like it then they can get different jobs.
That's all fine and good, but you completely ignore the fact that it's a double standard.
No, it's not. People just happen to not be as irritated by RW celebrities at the moment as they are by LW celebrities.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

They are. Have you heard anything good about Charlton Heston at any time in recent memory?
Aside from Bowling for Columbine, I havn't heard anything bad about him.
No, it's not. People just happen to not be as irritated by RW celebrities at the moment as they are by LW celebrities.
Ok, which RW celebrity has faced the same consequences for their words that the leftwingers have?
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Hamel wrote: Accountable? Of course everyone should be held accountable for their words and actions! Why aren't RW Hollywood actors held to the same standard of accountability?
What right wing Hollywood actors? The only conservative celebrites I can think of off the top of my head are Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Tom Selleck, and Charlton Heston. There may be a few more, but there aren't many.

On the left you have Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Jessica Lange, Barbra Streisand, Tim Robbins, Ed Harris, Jeneane Garofalo, Ed Asner, Mike Farrell, George Clooney, Jane Fonda, Spike Lee, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Anniston, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Robin Williams, Woody Harrellson, Danny Glover, Harry Belafonte, etc, etc.

And this list isn't even close to complete BTW.
Hamel wrote: That's all fine and good, but you completely ignore the fact that it's a double standard.
You're confusing cause and effect there pal. The reason that there isn't this same backlash against the few conservative celebrities out there is because the few conservative celebs aren't saying things that royally piss off most Americans. The Hollywood left is simply way out of step with mainstream America, so when they spout off they irritate people.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

What right wing Hollywood actors? The only conservative celebrites I can think of off the top of my head are Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Tom Selleck, and Charlton Heston. There may be a few more, but there aren't many.
Drew Carrey, Heather Locklear, and others. A list of a few RW celebrities follows. Some of them have already passed, though they're listed because they were prominent figures.
A list compiled with the help of freerepublic.com(metrospy.com) wrote:Alan Autry
Ann Wedgeworth
Arnold Schwarzennegger
Ben Stein
Bo Derek
Bob Hope
Bruce Boxleitner
Bruce Willis
Buddy Ebsen
Catherine Bell
Catherine Hicks
Chad Everett
Charlton Heston
Chuck Norris
Cindy Williams
Clarence Gilyard
Clint Eastwood
Danny Aiello
Dave Thomas
David Lynch
Delta Burke
Dennis Hopper
Dennis Miller
Dixie Carter
Doris Day
Drew Carey
Ernest Borgnine
Fess Parker
Fred Grandy
Fred Thompson
Gary Oldman
George Hamilton
George Lucas
Gerald McRaney
Glenn Ford
Hal Holbrook
Heather Locklear
Jackie Mason
Jameson Parker
Janine Turner
Jerry Doyle
Jim Nabors
Jimmy JJ Walker
Joe Pesci
John Gavin
John Larroquette
John Milius
Julianne Morris
Kelsey Grammar
Ken Osmond
Kim Alexis
Kirk Cameron
Kurt Russell
Laura Prepon
Leslie Easterbrook
Lisa Hartman Black
Lisa Whelchel
Mel Gibson
Nancy Davis Reagan
Nancy Stafford
Nell Carter
Noble Willingham
Norm MacDonald
Orson Bean
Pat Sajak
Patricia Heaton
Patrick Wayne
Paul Harvey
Paul Shanklin
Paul Sorvino
Regis Philbin
Rick Schroeder
Robert Conrad
Robert Stack
Ronald Reagan
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Shannon Doherty
Shirley Jones
Shirley Temple-Black
Susan Howard
Tom Beringer
Tom Selleck
Tony Danza
Wayne Newton
Yaphet Kotto
Barbara Mandrell
BeBe Wynans
Belamy Brothers
C.C. Deville
Casey of "KC and the Sunshine Band"
CeCe Wynans
Charlie Daniels
Clint Black
Crystal Gayle
Dean Torrance of "Jan and Dean"
Don McLean
Gary Numan
Hank Williams Jr.
Harry Connick Jr
Jan Berry of "Jan and Dean"
Jeff "Skunk" Baxter
John Popper
Johnny Mathis
Jon Secada
Loretta Lynn
Lorrie Morgan
Louise Mandrell
Marie Osmond
Meat Loaf
Merle Haggard
Mike Love
Mike Oldfield
Reba McEntire
Ricky Skaggs
Ted Nugent
The Oak Ridge Boys
Travis Tritt
Wendy Moten
ZZ Top
Al Leiter
Al Michaels
Anne Lockhart
Bob Backlund
Bobby Knight
Brett Favre
Charles Barkley
Dale Jarrett
Darrell Waltrip
David Weathers
Denise Austin
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
Fred Dryer
George Brett
George Steinbrenner
Haden Fry
Jack Buck
Jeff Kent
Jerry "The King" Lawler
Jim Bunning
Jimmy Johnson
Joe Gibbs
Joe Paterno
Joe Torres
John Elway
Julius Caesar "J.C." Watts, Jr.
Karl "The Mailman" Malone
Linda McMahon
Mike Ditka
Mike Piazza
Pete Sampras
Reggie White
Richard Petty
Steve Largent
Ted Williams
Tiger Woods
Tom Osborne
Tommy Lasorda
Val Venis
On the left you have Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Jessica Lange, Barbra Streisand, Tim Robbins, Ed Harris, Jeneane Garofalo, Ed Asner, Mike Farrell, George Clooney, Jane Fonda, Spike Lee, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Anniston, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Robin Williams, Woody Harrellson, Danny Glover, Harry Belafonte, etc, etc.

And this list isn't even close to complete BTW.
Nor is mine.
You're confusing cause and effect there pal. The reason that there isn't this same backlash against the few conservative celebrities out there is because the few conservative celebs aren't saying things that royally piss off most Americans. The Hollywood left is simply way out of step with mainstream America, so when they spout off they irritate people.
"Out of step"? Another Limbaughism. Perhaps a better explanation is that comments made by rightwingers aren't put in public light and paraded around by the media and peabrained pundits. Whether the public is irritated or not doesn't change the fact that it's a double standard.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

I notice your list includes people like Dave Thomas, and Robert Stack, who are dead, and people like Lisa Whelchel, Jameson Parker, whose careers are. Not to mention Ronald Reagan who hasn't been an actor for decades, and has Alzheimer's besides.
Hamel wrote: "Out of step"? Another Limbaughism. Perhaps a better explanation is that comments made by rightwingers aren't put in public light and paraded around by the media and peabrained pundits. Whether the public is irritated or not doesn't change the fact that it's a double standard.
Wrong. People like Dennis Miller have been very outspoken, but it just so happens that what he says is popular with the majority of Americans. But when Jessica Lange says she's embarassed to be an American, or Natalie Maines says she's ashamed that the president's from Texas, that's not popular. The American people recognize that as venomous blathering, entirely void of reasoned argument. When Martin Sheen says that "Right now" it's criminal to express yourself in this country, most Americans recognize that for the patent nonsense that it is. The conservative celebrities aren't getting the same backlash because they're not saying anything that boneheaded.

The Hollywood left is out of step with the majority of Americans (and the phrase hardly originated with Rush Limbaugh), and in the case of someone like Martin Sheen, out of step with reality.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Perinquus wrote:I notice your list includes people like Dave Thomas, and Robert Stack, who are dead, and people like Lisa Whelchel, Jameson Parker, whose careers are. Not to mention Ronald Reagan who hasn't been an actor for decades, and has Alzheimer's besides.
I already mentioned that a few have already passed. Take the celebrities out that you mentioned and you still have a whole bunch of RW celebs. Kinda obliterates the old myth that very few right wingers exist in hollywood.
Wrong. People like Dennis Miller have been very outspoken, but it just so happens that what he says is popular with the majority of Americans. But when Jessica Lange says she's embarassed to be an American, or Natalie Maines says she's ashamed that the president's from Texas, that's not popular. The American people recognize that as venomous blathering, entirely void of reasoned argument.
Dennis doesn't offer much more than venom-filled quips against the left. Ever hear half the things coming out of the Nuge's mouth? Where's the nation-wide outrage and highly organized widespread boycotts existing in an attempt to ruin him?

When Martin Sheen says that "Right now" it's criminal to express yourself in this country, most Americans recognize that for the patent nonsense that it is. The conservative celebrities aren't getting the same backlash because they're not saying anything that boneheaded.
He certainly exaggerated, but how does this excuse the double standard?
The Hollywood left is out of step with the majority of Americans (and the phrase hardly originated with Rush Limbaugh), and in the case of someone like Martin Sheen, out of step with reality.
Out of step with loonies who have no problem with rightwingers saying things of the same calibre? Fine, but they are perpetrating the double standard.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

jegs2 wrote:Actors are good at entertaining us. I would recommend that they stick to that at which they excel...
Thats exactly what this asshat is doing. I'm certainly entertained.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Hamel wrote:I already mentioned that a few have already passed. Take the celebrities out that you mentioned and you still have a whole bunch of RW celebs. Kinda obliterates the old myth that very few right wingers exist in hollywood.
Thay are still not as numerous as the leftist celebs, nor are they generally nearly as outspoken. I can't remember ever hearing that a conservative celebrity ever spoke before the national press club like Tim Robbins, nor have I heard of any taking out full page ads in the New York Times like Sean Penn. If they leftist celebrities are in the news more often for the things they say, it is because they shoot their mouths off publicly far more often.
Hamel wrote:Dennis doesn't offer much more than venom-filled quips against the left. Ever hear half the things coming out of the Nuge's mouth? Where's the nation-wide outrage and highly organized widespread boycotts existing in an attempt to ruin him?
:banghead:

This is what it feels like trying to get through to you. Why is it that no matter how many times I say it, you just can't seem to get your brain around the concept that what the conservative celebrities say does not offend the sensibilities of the American people the way the liberal celebs do. Let me break it on down for you. A majority of Americans support the President; his approval rating remains high. Therefore, who is more likely to generate a backlash with their comments, a celebrity who speaks out in support of the issues that the president is advocating and against his critics, or the celebrities who are not only against the president, but also speak of him hatefully, and spout the kind of nonsense that Sheen just said?

Why do you find this so hard to understand?

Hamel wrote:He certainly exaggerated, but how does this excuse the double standard?
See above.
Hamel wrote:Out of step with loonies who have no problem with rightwingers saying things of the same calibre? Fine, but they are perpetrating the double standard.
See above.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Hamel wrote:"Out of step"? Another Limbaughism.
Actually, I believe that turn of phrase was originated to describe a lapse in dancing ability and was at some point later analogized to mean a much broader type of lapse. Since I find it nearly impossible to visualize anyone the size of Rush Limbaugh even attempting to dance (public safety concerns would most assuredly prevent such an occurrence) we must conclude that Limbaugh neither originated nor popularized the phrase. :P
Perhaps a better explanation is that comments made by rightwingers aren't put in public light and paraded around by the media and peabrained pundits. Whether the public is irritated or not doesn't change the fact that it's a double standard.
What you're missing here is that celebrity comments are only newsworthy primarily when they're obscenely stupid or infuriating.

Do you seriously suggest that RW celebs have some sort of media connections which prevent their own stupid or infuriating comments from reaching the public? I find it more likely that they're simply less inclined to go off making half-cocked politically activist statements in the first place.