Funding the Jedi Order

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Funding the Jedi Order

Post by Lord Revan »

Ironically in their fear of loosing themselves to the dark side and rejecting the Jedi Code, Yoda's order were so strict about following the letter of the code that they lost sight of the spirit of the code.

That along with jedi becoming arrogant about the righteousness of the letter of the code (and thus themselves) was the "corruption" the jedi order as a whole suffered from along with man there was no Jedi Master equilevant to Pope Alexander VI, who flaunted his vices for all to see while demanding others to follow the rules. Instead the leaders of the orders slavishly followed the letter of the code, without wondering "why does the code say this?"

Granted this is still a bad thing to do and a corruption of the orginal intent of the code, it's just not an openly evil and hypocritical way of corruption.

As a result the Jedi Order lost sight of the plight of the "common man" in the Republic, not out of intentional malice but rather they were so focused on doing things "by the rules" that they lost sight of things that weren't in their "mandate", since the type of thinking that would lead a jedi to consdering going "beyond the call of duty" to help people might also question the letter of the code.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

What part of the code followed to the letter results in them losing sight of the plight of the common man?

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-12-13 05:58pm What part of the code followed to the letter results in them losing sight of the plight of the common man?

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force
The first "there is no emotion, there is peace", caring about something or someone is an emotion after all, it's explained in one the old EU novels quite well, The code is not meant to taken literally in that form, but rather that form is tool to remember it more easily.

It should be noted with "the code" I also refer to rules and regulations of the Jedi Order that aren't in that litany.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

The Jedi Code interpreted literally is pretty fucking sociopathic. Forget "which is better, to be loved or to be feared," the Sith got both.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

wasn't it revealed somewhere that the code had changed somewhere along the line and was originally

There is emotion, yet there is peace.
There is ignorance, yet there is knowledge.
There is passion, yet there is serenity.
There is chaos, yet there is harmony.
There is death, yet there is the Force

with the connotation being to work toward the latter without denying the former.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Marko Dash wrote: 2018-12-17 12:11pm wasn't it revealed somewhere that the code had changed somewhere along the line and was originally

There is emotion, yet there is peace.
There is ignorance, yet there is knowledge.
There is passion, yet there is serenity.
There is chaos, yet there is harmony.
There is death, yet there is the Force

with the connotation being to work toward the latter without denying the former.
more or less though I can't remember the exact wording of the older the versions of the code, the idea was to work towards the first 4 and for the 5th rule it was essentially "don't fear death as you'll gain immortality as part of the Force anyway, so death is nothing to be afraid of"
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

KraytKing wrote: 2018-12-13 08:36pm The Jedi Code interpreted literally is pretty fucking sociopathic. Forget "which is better, to be loved or to be feared," the Sith got both.
Well it's kinda hard to have any kind of warrior monk for life order that isn't pretty much sociopathic to some degree. The fact that a Jedi is a Jedi for life, and appears to normally serve and life with the order for life isn't the most healthy of ideas out of hand, no matter what code it exists by.

PIty nothing in canon gives us any real idea of what the 'retention rate' really is though, and while we know of several Jedi who left the order our idea of how many really existed remains full of contradictions. You'd figure a non trivial number leave or simply never achieve the rank at all.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Either way what code say is secondary as we know from what we've seen in canon that the Jedi Order doesn't blackmail people for protection or take bribes. So that's not the source of wealth for the Order.

As for the "jedi drop-outs" at least in the legendaries those became members of the Jedi Order's argri-corps, so it wouldn't surprise me if those that couldn't serve as full Jedi Knights would serve the order in other ways.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I expect its largely a combination of donations from wealthy individuals they helped out (I could see Padme or Bail Organa giving donations to the Jedi, for example), and payments from the Republic government.

Plus, playing the Stockmarket is probably easier if you have precognition. ;)

Okay, I don't know if most Force users' precognition is that precise (it probably isn't). Also... does Star Wars have a galactic Stockmarket, or equivalent?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-22 01:15pm I expect its largely a combination of donations from wealthy individuals they helped out (I could see Padme or Bail Organa giving donations to the Jedi, for example), and payments from the Republic government.

Plus, playing the Stockmarket is probably easier if you have precognition. ;)

Okay, I don't know if most Force users' precognition is that precise (it probably isn't). Also... does Star Wars have a galactic Stockmarket, or equivalent?
I dunno about current canon but I seem to remember there being mention of stocks (and thus a stockmarket) in the legendaries (for the pre-imperial era) though I could also be missremembering things.

That said long term precognition of Force users seems unrelible and subject to the biases of the user in question (which is by Palpatine couldn't foresee his defeat, as such a thing was unthinkble to him).
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I always imagined that the Republic would fund the Jedi Order, along with a myriad of other sources of funding. It may sound much but for a galactic-scale government (that seems to have operated a navy before the clone wars), it would actually be a relatively small thing.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zixinus wrote: 2018-12-23 03:18pm I always imagined that the Republic would fund the Jedi Order, along with a myriad of other sources of funding. It may sound much but for a galactic-scale government (that seems to have operated a navy before the clone wars), it would actually be a relatively small thing.
I dunno if it's canon anyone but in the legendaries Jedi Order did have warfleets pre-Ruusan reformation and the Jedi Order did pre-date the first incarnation of the Galactic Republic.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-12-23 01:25am
That said long term precognition of Force users seems unrelible and subject to the biases of the user in question (which is by Palpatine couldn't foresee his defeat, as such a thing was unthinkble to him).
A bit tangential, but I just watched ESB again a night or two ago, the original, not special edition, and I think Vader said to Luke on Bespin that Palpatine had foreseen himself falling at Luke's hand. Part of his inspirational speech to get Luke to join him. I may be wrong. When I heard it, it attracted my attention, as that has interesting implications. Alas, at the time I was distracted by other matters, and did not rewind.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

KraytKing wrote: 2018-12-24 01:57am
Lord Revan wrote: 2018-12-23 01:25am
A bit tangential, but I just watched ESB again a night or two ago, the original, not special edition, and I think Vader said to Luke on Bespin that Palpatine had foreseen himself falling at Luke's hand. Part of his inspirational speech to get Luke to join him. I may be wrong. When I heard it, it attracted my attention, as that has interesting implications. Alas, at the time I was distracted by other matters, and did not rewind.
It's in the special edition too IIRC and seems less like "he has seen the exact manner of his defeat at your hands" and more "he has seen that you could become powerful enough to possibly defeat him" when viewed in context.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yeah that would be the context I took it to have. And it fits with the kind of information people usually get from the force, an indication of intent, not a detailed scenario. It's emotionally based, not fact based.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956