Who's your favorite superhero and why?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Who's your favorite superhero and why?

Post by Q99 » 2018-07-13 06:07pm

Simple question- there's a lot of heroes around, so I'm curious what various people's answers are.

Can be mainstream, obscure, etc..

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Who's your favorite superhero and why?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-07-13 06:11pm

The one. The only. The God Damn Batman.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-07-13 06:55pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-07-13 06:11pm
Ironic that you're quoting one of the worst incarnations of the character there.

-

Still I shall stick with the conventional answers and go with Spider-Man. Why? Because I grew up with the Fox cartoon and bought the british re-prints oh his comic. Which is why I have a fondness for the Ben Reilly version of the character. It was the tail end of the clone saga when I started buying them.

That the Doylist reason. Watsonian, he's a great character. He has the shittiest luck and personal problems and bad press yet always come around doing the right thing, despite it often not being easy. Which is what heroism is all about.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-07-13 06:59pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-07-13 06:55pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-07-13 06:11pm
Ironic that you're quoting one of the worst incarnations of the character there.

-
Yeah, but its an iconic quote.

But I should probably state my favorite version, since there are so many. So... tie between DCAU Batman and the No Man's Land novelization's.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira » 2018-07-14 12:41am

My top 3 favorite characters can be classified as superheroes, and each represents what I look for in a story.

1) Godzilla - who embodies catharsis. So many times, his smashing things solves problems quickly and simply.
2) Nico Minoru - Who embodies creativity. Her power set is full of it and requires it.
3) Cassandra Cain - Who embodies compassion. "Nobody dies tonight" really says it all.

But all three have those qualities to one degree or another. Creativity, Compassion, Catharsis.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam » 2018-07-14 05:07am

Brainiac 5 from the Legion of Superheroes.

His 'superpower' is being smarter than people while also being a bit of an arse about it and also dating Supergirl.

Tribble
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribble » 2018-07-14 07:12pm

For me at the moment it's probably the Doctor, and his speech in "The Doctor Falls" is a pretty good summary of why I like the character:
"Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works because it hardly ever does.. I DO WHAT I DO BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that.. Just kind. If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live. Maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, you know, maybe there's no point to any of this at all. But it's the best I can do. So I'm going to do it. And I will stand here doing it until it kills me. And you're going to die too! Some day... And how will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for? Who I am is where I stand... Where I stand is where I fall. Stand with me. These people are terrified. Maybe we can help a little. Why not, just at the end, just be kind?"
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-07-14 07:22pm

Though not usually thought of as such, the Doctor is a superhero by any meaningful definition (then again, "superhero" is very difficult to define- there is pretty much no single criteria that defines every character considered a superhero).

Although now that I think about it... if I had to pick a definition of a superhero, it might be "Someone who could say that speech, truthfully, and mean it." Or someone who could be accurately described by those words.