The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Re: The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-28 03:05pm

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
2018-07-26 07:30pm
On an unrelated note, I've been having fun updating the TVTropes page with such delightful entries as More Dakka and One-Hit Kill. Nerdism levels are approaching ten to the twelth power.
You mean they're over 9,000, don't you?

Light carrier names...well, assault carrier names: Carinae, Vela, Canis Major, Can is Minor, Auriga, Leo,, Libra,, Sagittarius, Capricornus, Argo Navis, Lepus, Lupus, Ursa Minor.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law

"The Constitution's a piece of paper. A kick in the head is a jolt."
—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-28 03:20pm

Let me guess...the UNSC's Constellation class :D
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

“I’ve always thought the Yankees had something to do with it.” - Confederate General George Pickett, on being asked why his charge at Ghettysburg failed

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-28 05:14pm

Orion-class, which were the lightest UNSC carriers during the war. Since Orion is a constellation I figured the UN Spacy would at least name some of them after current or former constellations, even if three of them are named after the same asterism(I refuse to name a warship Puppis), allowing for at least 88 machines.

And, at least one named Guardian.

(Master Of Orion reference that)
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."

—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-28 05:17pm

Amusingly, this would give all three human powers (Kobolians, Tau'ri and UNSC) have major ship classes and/or vessels named for constellations.
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

“I’ve always thought the Yankees had something to do with it.” - Confederate General George Pickett, on being asked why his charge at Ghettysburg failed

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-28 06:36pm

Didn't think about that. Damn.

—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-28 06:41pm

I had figured that the UNSC "light" carriers would have historical carrier names - the two that were part of Stanforth's fleet were the Hiryu and the Langley, I have provisionally picked the Argus, Hermes and Centaur as well.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-28 06:53pm

Eagle, Albion,, Independence,, Princeton, Dokdo,, Furious, Glorious, Courageous , Vikrant, Admiral Kunetszov, Moskva, Kiev, San Jacinto, Kearsarge, Izumo,, Ise, Hyuga, Invincible, Hermes, Bulwark, Sir J.F. Woodward, Ticonderoga,, Zuikaku,, Shokaku, Melbourne.

—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-28 07:10pm

Already got Hermes. And naming a ship Invincible is just asking for trouble...especially since I'm the author.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-28 10:02pm

The last Invincible made it all the way to the breakers. Apparently, It's a better carrier name than a battle cruiser one.

—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-29 12:41pm

This is true, but still, carries a bad legacy...and you know what I'm like with things going boom in my stories.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-29 12:57pm

Fair enough. How about River Of Stars as an alternate carrier name(given you already have an Eridanus)? Also, Indefatigable, as I believe I suggested Indomitable elsewhere in this thread.

Also Cabot, Charger, and Biter.

—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-29 01:12pm

Indefatigable, while I love the name, also has the same issue as Invincible - in that the battlecruiser version went kaboom.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-29 02:09pm

Fuck, I'm just batting 1,000, aren't I? Is there any British Lend Lease Essex- class carrier that wasn't named after an exploding battlecruiser?!

—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
---NRA motto

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom » 2018-07-29 02:19pm

I think it was just Invincible and Indefatigable - the other exploding battlecruisers were Queen Mary and Hood.