Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, SCRawl, Thanas, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Brexit and General UK politics thread

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-07-09 04:47pm

At least the job doesn't start with a C, Jeremy Cunt will be quite relieved about that.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-07-09 05:12pm

"The will of the people" claim. Thing is, in voting for Brexit they were voting for chaos, and that's exactly what they've got! :twisted:
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-07-10 05:25pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-07-09 02:49pm
Without sounds like too much of a conspiracy nut, but the Foreign Secretary resigning right when someone needs to be standing up to Russia about poising one of our citizens to death... well that's really bad timing. (I mean given the brexit reasoning I don't really think It's related but it's still bad)

Since the whole 'two articiles' thing I wouldn't credit him with actual principles, Boris does what he thinks is best for him. Presumably he copes to galvanise the die-hard brexiteers to his side.
At this point, I think anyone of any power who is on or affiliated with the xenophobic Right (and a disturbing number of people on the "anti-establishment" Left) is more likely than not to have Russian sympathies, or Russian ties. Many wittingly, some not so much.

The presence of a global neo-fascist cabal infiltrating and influencing governments* understandably sounds ludicrous to people who grew up in a saner or at least less obviously mad world, but you're not a conspiracy nut if developments consistently demonstrate that the conspiracy actually exists.

*Basically, we're living in the timeline where The Winter Soldier turned out to be a prophetic work. Fuck me.

Edit: Hell, Brexit itself is directly tied to Cambridge Analytica (and hence to Steven Bannon), which is a major player in the Russia/Trump scandal.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zaune » 2018-07-10 05:56pm

Who's up for another SDN Bunker Thread: We Might Actually Need It Edition?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-07-10 06:20pm

Edit: I should probably clarify that when I referred in my last post to having "Russian sympathies" or "Russian ties", I am not talking about ordinary Russian people. I don't hate Russians, and I don't care if you happen to have a friend or relative or colleague who's Russian- people are people, regardless of where they come from, and understanding this is arguably the single most indispensable tenant of a free society. I am referring to having ties with/sympathies towards the Russian government, that is the Putin regime. I am of the view that all people are created equal, that all governments are and must be legitimate targets of criticism (albeit some deserve it more than others), and that we must be able to separate condemnation of a government or a policy from condemnation of a nation or people.

It is unfortunate that such a clarification is necessary, but since it is easy to be misunderstood, especially if our language is not precise, and as there is always a chorus of apologists ready to label any criticism of the Russian government as Western Imperialism/Russophobia/McCarthyism/etc., I want to be absolutely unambiguous.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zaune » 2018-07-11 02:30pm

In other news, according to the front page of the Daily Mail, Brexit is now a matter of "guerilla warfare", based off a quote from one of the scorched-earth faction. (Source)

If the golf-club fascist lobby want guerilla warfare they can bloody well have it, as far as I'm concerned. If they get their way then we are so deep in the shit that I'll be lucky if I'm still alive by the time a semblance of normality is restored, if it ever is. (Not hyperbole: Remember the part about food and medicine shortages? I'm on several kinds of medication without which I will be dead in a matter of months.)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog

Zaune
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zaune » 2018-07-13 09:37am

A Guide To Prepping For Brexit On A Budget

Inspired, apparently, by a Guardian article on the same subject that covered some of the same ground but didn't go as far. Ignore the "financial" section of that Reddit post, but otherwise there's some good advice in there.

When I was saying this a year and a half ago people were accusing me of being alarmist or paranoid.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog