Stargate Command Croydon

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Stargate Command Croydon

Post by Starglider » 2018-11-26 03:55pm

Progress has been slow due to the usual labour issues. Inevitably after 10-12 weeks, they start to joke about working on an 'evil lair' for a 'Bond villain' and I have to preemptively arrange their liquidation and hire a fresh set of minions. A few iterations of this and the local hiring pool is starting to get a little shallow, but no matter, structural work is approaching completion.

Exterior brickwork features the very finest in 1980s leisure centre styling, and a brick-clad R/C archway over the fire escape hatch, with a ten tonne load rating and a big stainless steel winch point for bringing in heavy machinery and SAM reloads as needed.

Unfortunately there was something of a setback. I've been using the brickwork as formwork for the upper level which involves propping it against the ground. A pour was scheduled for Friday to raise the wall to roof level; weather at the time was dry.

Due to inadvertant death ray activation an electrical fault the concrete delivery truck caught fire on my driveway and the pumping operation had to be aborted. It was rescheduled for Monday using an alternate truck but over the weekend heavy rains turned the site to mud, which resulted in the props sinking into the ground and the wall exploding from the force of ~10 tonnes of concrete

Which just goes to show, always make a ground beam if you're using outrigger props on an R/C wall. Or at least arrange for the suspicious minions to be standing under the wall at the time to avoid the need to make up a separate excuse for their mysterious disappearance. The damage has since been repaired but it set back the schedule by another two weeks.

The interior partitions are up as well, concrete block of course as studwork is no good for stopping MP5 fire from invading SEAL teams or containing genetic mutants trying to claw their way out.

The roof should be completed by Christmas at which point outfitting of the interior will begin.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus » 2018-11-27 04:23am

I’ve just read through most of this thread, and the only thing I’m wondering is who gets this in the divorce.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider » 2018-11-27 04:57am

FireNexus wrote:
2018-11-27 04:23am
I’ve just read through most of this thread, and the only thing I’m wondering is who gets this in the divorce.
If that's your experience of marriage, you married the wrong person. :)

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r » 2018-11-27 09:00pm

Holy shit. Ive had meter high panel formwork fail and that was worrying.

Really fucking glad the minions avoided that one.
Ties from whalers through the brick to the rebar might have done it. I assume evil contracting inc has insurance?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider » 2018-11-28 05:02pm

If by 'insurance' you mean 'loved ones of workers kept in protective custody at an undisclosed location' then sure.