Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Elheru Aran » 2018-05-17 04:23pm

mr friendly guy wrote:
2018-05-17 12:15pm
To be fair in regards to sticking with the treaty, I think a real world political leader in modern times could come up with several reasons why the treaty of Algeron is no longer valid. Some blatantly justifiable, like Shinzon's attempt to genocide earth (he was the Romulan praetor at the time, so an act of war invalidates the treaty), or in STO timelines using some legal shenanigans like saying that the the Romulan Republic and not the Tal Shiar empire is the successor state of the Romulan Star Empire and then signing a friendly deal with the RR relieving them of some of the treaty's obligations.
Isn't Shinzon not actually in STO, the ability to buy his ship notwithstanding? IIRC STO is the original prime timeline (ENT/TOS on through to VOY and the TNG films), after the Hobus supernova that destroys Romulus Shinzon modifies his ship and starts time-travelling in order to find Spock.

Of course STO crossed over with the nu-Trek timeline not too long ago IIRC... so that may be moot.

The latter explanation of them signing a sweetheart deal with the Romulan Republic is much more likely IMO. The Republic would have been in a fragile enough state post-civil war with the Tal Shiar that the Federation could have easily extracted significant concessions from them in return for assistance.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-05-17 06:13pm

Elheru Aran wrote:
2018-05-17 04:23pm
mr friendly guy wrote:
To be fair in regards to sticking with the treaty, I think a real world political leader in modern times could come up with several reasons why the treaty of Algeron is no longer valid. Some blatantly justifiable, like Shinzon's attempt to genocide earth (he was the Romulan praetor at the time, so an act of war invalidates the treaty), or in STO timelines using some legal shenanigans like saying that the the Romulan Republic and not the Tal Shiar empire is the successor state of the Romulan Star Empire and then signing a friendly deal with the RR relieving them of some of the treaty's obligations.
Isn't Shinzon not actually in STO, the ability to buy his ship notwithstanding? IIRC STO is the original prime timeline (ENT/TOS on through to VOY and the TNG films), after the Hobus supernova that destroys Romulus Shinzon modifies his ship and starts time-travelling in order to find Spock.

Of course STO crossed over with the nu-Trek timeline not too long ago IIRC... so that may be moot.

The latter explanation of them signing a sweetheart deal with the Romulan Republic is much more likely IMO. The Republic would have been in a fragile enough state post-civil war with the Tal Shiar that the Federation could have easily extracted significant concessions from them in return for assistance.
It was Nero who travelled to the Kelvin timeline Shinzon is the Picard clone from Nemesis.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran » 2018-05-17 06:24pm

Lord Revan wrote:
2018-05-17 06:13pm
Elheru Aran wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:

It was Nero who travelled to the Kelvin timeline Shinzon is the Picard clone from Nemesis.
Crap. Mixed up my mediocre Romulan villains.

Shinzon didn't actually get as far as attacking Earth though did he? I mean that was his idea with the whole thalaron thingy the Scimitar had, or something, but apart from destroying the Romulan Senate he was still in deep space when Picard and a few Valdores confronted him...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-05-17 09:12pm

Elheru Aran wrote:
2018-05-17 06:24pm
Lord Revan wrote:
2018-05-17 06:13pm
Elheru Aran wrote:

Crap. Mixed up my mediocre Romulan villains.

Shinzon didn't actually get as far as attacking Earth though did he? I mean that was his idea with the whole thalaron thingy the Scimitar had, or something, but apart from destroying the Romulan Senate he was still in deep space when Picard and a few Valdores confronted him...
yeah he was intercepted en-route to Earth (or more accurately he intercepted the Enterprise heading to Federation space to warn about the attack).

Biggest Impact Shizon had for STO was to turn remans from a slave race to "merely" second-class citizens in the Star Empire and to equal partners in the Republic.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-05-18 12:10am

Special offer for buying 20 lock box keys and get a free tech upgrade. This goes all the way to epic and max out. Just what I need when my third toon gets space set for their ship, as it takes a load of dilithium to go from rare to epic. Spent a bit of money for zen and converted enough dilithium to get enough zen to buy 3 of those things. The 60 lock box keys did net a few goodies, which I find sell more on the exchange than the lazy thing I used to do of selling to vendors.

Delta recruit period is also over, but I got a toon playing it now. In keeping with the theme of future self give you information to fight the Iconians from the Delta recruit storyline, my first two toons (who have passed the Iconian storylines) buy stuff on the exchange to give to my third toon. She now has a plasmonic leech and some nice tactical modules from the lock boxes. Also have some level 12 modules including Iconian ones for her to use when she gets at high enough level. Future starfleet captains giving Iconian tech to my Delta recruit to fight the Iconians. Love it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-05-18 12:43pm

I don't think you're getting at what I'm asking. AOY characters made during a certain time period immediately after the expansion went live have special perks that other characters (even other AOY characters made later) do not, namely being able to craft reputation gear at UR Mk XIII instead of VR Mk XII (there may be others, but as far as I know that's the "killer app" of having made an AOY character while the expansion was fresh).

Are there similar perks for Dominion characters with this expansion, such that I should strongly consider getting back into the game when the expansion drops as opposed to later?
Well the upping of rep gear to UR mk. XIII was an account-wide bonus, if there are such perks on offer this time they're not saying.
mr friendly guy wrote:
2018-05-18 12:10am
Special offer for buying 20 lock box keys and get a free tech upgrade. This goes all the way to epic and max out. Just what I need when my third toon gets space set for their ship, as it takes a load of dilithium to go from rare to epic. Spent a bit of money for zen and converted enough dilithium to get enough zen to buy 3 of those things. The 60 lock box keys did net a few goodies, which I find sell more on the exchange than the lazy thing I used to do of selling to vendors.

Delta recruit period is also over, but I got a toon playing it now. In keeping with the theme of future self give you information to fight the Iconians from the Delta recruit storyline, my first two toons (who have passed the Iconian storylines) buy stuff on the exchange to give to my third toon. She now has a plasmonic leech and some nice tactical modules from the lock boxes. Also have some level 12 modules including Iconian ones for her to use when she gets at high enough level. Future starfleet captains giving Iconian tech to my Delta recruit to fight the Iconians. Love it.
Bought a couple keyring bundles a few months back and used the Ultimate Tech upgrades to get a couple of crafted Disruptor DBBs from MkII all the way to XIV. Got crappy 4th modifiers; still I was glad I held on to them when REing went live and I duly got them up to speed.

Using salvaged tech to make experimental upgrades is a very expensive way of upgrading gear thanks to using each token having an associated dil cost. Phoenix tech upgrades offer far better value for money, that's why I bought 500 packs during the recent event as well as 10,000 Zen. Probably a bit excessive as I already have a bunch of surplus weaponry (the most expensive things to upgrade) I can equip new toons with right out of the box.

Plasmonic leech is always handy, what else did you get?
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-05-18 08:49pm

Got some rare kemocite laced weaponry manuals for my third toons in the lock boxes, which is a must especially since she is tactical. Got some ground and space traits and fleet mark and credit bonus. Already invited her to a fleet and using EC got some points going (the fleet does a once in a while clean out of toons who are inactive, so may as well get her some fleet credit now).

Got the solar gateway kit mark 12 for later, polaron barrage kit (from a lock box, so lets give it a try) and also another one whose name eludes me, but seems like a control kit.

All in all a good start. Currently splitting time between playing the mirror invasion so my two toons get the bonus and playing with my third toon, slowly making her way up. I think I can spend more time on her once the mirror invasion finishes. But then the gamma reputation will start shortly after.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.