Studying the speed of light on the Discworld.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Studying the speed of light on the Discworld.

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

In the story series "Discworld" by Terry Pratchett, a common theme is "Light travels slowly in the High Magical field of the Disc." It is a device used in many of the books mostly for alliterative purposes. When the sun comes up, it does not instantly wash over the surface, but instead moves 'slowly' from on end to the other. It is said in several books that a person at the top of a very high mountain would be able to physically watch light "move" across the surface from the sun.

While it is never stated in the books just what the speed of light it is, it is often sighted on many Discworld websites to be roughly the speed of sound, or around 600mph.

So the question follows. If you are a scientist on a world where the speed of light is a mere 600mph, what sort of research or studies would you do? How might this be used to explore science?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Studying the speed of light on the Discworld.

Post by Samuel »

Can you trap light in a box? What happens to an object that moves faster than light? Do you get a wave of images all hitting a spot similtaneously? Do all the properties move at the same speed or is just the visible spectrum slowed down?
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Yes, it's mentioned numerous times that light slows down as it hits the magical field that envelops the Disc. When it encounters a mountain, for example, it tends to pool up and gather before washing over it.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Samuel wrote:Can you trap light in a box? What happens to an object that moves faster than light? Do you get a wave of images all hitting a spot similtaneously? Do all the properties move at the same speed or is just the visible spectrum slowed down?
This may or may not be revealing, but in the book THUD, Sam Vimes gets on a magically enhanced carriage and travels at nearly a hundred miles an hour. At that speed, on the discworld, light is visibly blue and red shifted looking ahead and behind the direction of travel.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

This is going to Fantasy.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Doesn't one of the books state you can use dams to store light in a reservoir like we do with water in the real world?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

It's not going to be easy, because there is Light (golden radiating stuff that seems to travel slowly) and light (which behaves as normal). People in Discworld see just fine without Speed of Light problems, but only when light seems to move like a physical entity does it move slowly. The speed of light, therefore, is context sensitive. :D

The real science comes in in determining the context in which light behaves magically. The problem is that a sort of quantum error happanes that the act of measuring and dissecting it scientifically may make the light behave differently. A sort of uncertainty principle sets in that you can only observe the magical effects of light when it is breathtaking. Clearly, a very careful experiment must be done in which wonder is conserved. :D
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

If I remember correctly, someone in one of the books did measure the speed of light, and found it to be roughly on par with the speed of sound. Light on the Disc is some slow stuff. Then again, the world does run on narrativium...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Molyneux wrote:If I remember correctly, someone in one of the books did measure the speed of light, and found it to be roughly on par with the speed of sound. Light on the Disc is some slow stuff. Then again, the world does run on narrativium...

You know the "Discworld" operates under its own funky laws of physics, but it still exists within a "Real" universe of some-sort. I was talking about this with a friend who mentioned that the "real" speed of light is probably exactly the same as ours, universe wise, it just slows down in the Discworld. In theory you could travel indeed "faster" then light on the Disc and it shouldn't hurt you. It might LOOK funky but it shouldn't shatter any laws of physics.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

However the speed of light is a constant that appears in many physical equations. Can you really have a universe where humans could exist if you change the value of c ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

Sarevok wrote:However the speed of light is a constant that appears in many physical equations. Can you really have a universe where humans could exist if you change the value of c ?
There are actually theorised to be two forms of light, the regular kind which moves at about the speed of sound, an another type of light that allows you to see the first kind of light. However, nobody has found a use for the second kind of light, because it moves too fast.

Secondarily, Pterry has specifically stated that studying the Discworld scientifically is "er...dumb." The Disc doesn't run on physical laws of the kind we're used to, it runs on narrative imperative. People don't exist because the value of c is just right, people exist because that's what people do.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Sarevok wrote:However the speed of light is a constant that appears in many physical equations. Can you really have a universe where humans could exist if you change the value of c ?
Yes, As long as you have magic.

The slow light doesn't affect anything because that would distract from the story. And on Discworld stories are everything. One of their basic elements is Narrativium after all.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Molyneux wrote:If I remember correctly, someone in one of the books did measure the speed of light, and found it to be roughly on par with the speed of sound. Light on the Disc is some slow stuff. Then again, the world does run on narrativium...

You know the "Discworld" operates under its own funky laws of physics, but it still exists within a "Real" universe of some-sort. I was talking about this with a friend who mentioned that the "real" speed of light is probably exactly the same as ours, universe wise, it just slows down in the Discworld. In theory you could travel indeed "faster" then light on the Disc and it shouldn't hurt you. It might LOOK funky but it shouldn't shatter any laws of physics.
Most likely that's correct. The measurements were taken, remember, by people living on the Disc - inside the heavy-magic field.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Remember that c is the speed of light in a vacuum, in the real world you can slow down light under certain situations it doesn't change the constant.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Bedlam wrote:
Remember that c is the speed of light in a vacuum, in the real world you can slow down light under certain situations it doesn't change the constant.
Light can have different speeds in different mediums. But 1 ) it does not vary by several orders of magnitudes 2 ) if the air in discworld had such properties it would be not be air as we know it.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Bedlam wrote:Remember that c is the speed of light in a vacuum, in the real world you can slow down light under certain situations it doesn't change the constant.
Only sort of. That's a complicated subject.

What interests me is that if magic slows the speed of light, the presence of highly magically things should cause refraction as light is bent by increasingly high refractive indexes as you approach the object. This should make magically things have a shimmery aura around them, for exactly the same reason a hot road does when you look at it at a narrow angle; that is, an inferior mirage.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Bedlam wrote:Remember that c is the speed of light in a vacuum, in the real world you can slow down light under certain situations it doesn't change the constant.
Only sort of. That's a complicated subject.

What interests me is that if magic slows the speed of light, the presence of highly magically things should cause refraction as light is bent by increasingly high refractive indexes as you approach the object. This should make magically things have a shimmery aura around them, for exactly the same reason a hot road does when you look at it at a narrow angle; that is, an inferior mirage.
Im pretty sure such things are mentioned often in Discworld books. Specifically very magical htings, such as the 'color' Octraine, being 'invisible' which may be it distorting light all together.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

Sarevok wrote: Light can have different speeds in different mediums. But 1 ) it does not vary by several orders of magnitudes 2 ) if the air in discworld had such properties it would be not be air as we know it.
It's not the Disc's air that slows the light down, it's the intense magical field.
[/quote="Gil Hamilton"]
What interests me is that if magic slows the speed of light, the presence of highly magically things should cause refraction as light is bent by increasingly high refractive indexes as you approach the object. This should make magically things have a shimmery aura around them, for exactly the same reason a hot road does when you look at it at a narrow angle; that is, an inferior mirage.[/quote]
Not necessarily - we do have two types of light, after all. Slow light provides illumination, but fast light is what people see with. Of course, fast light is way too fast to be any use.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Werrf wrote:Not necessarily - we do have two types of light, after all. Slow light provides illumination, but fast light is what people see with. Of course, fast light is way too fast to be any use.
I believe I mentioned that very thing above. However, slow light is still subject to refraction, so if magic changes the refractive index of some volume and the higher degrees of magic change it more, then there is no reason magic shouldn't cause an inferior or superior mirage if viewed from the right angle.

Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

It just doesn't square with physics at all. A million-fold slowdown in phase velocity would distort images so completely that from refraction, there wouldn't be anything visually recognizable as a "Sun" in Discworld. Trying to make this a group velocity doesn't improve things by much. The visible range has an angular frequency half-width Δω = 1.25 PHz around c/ω = 80 nm, which would correspond to the average change in the index of refraction of Δn ~ 3E5, which, while smaller than the ~1E6 factor above, is not exactly reasonable either.

However Discworld light behaves, using ordinary physics to try to predict its behavior seems futile.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As recall in "ReaperMan" Death uses the 'slow light' of sunrise to sharpen his scythe.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

The Speed Of Light is only one thing on the Disc. However, it's rather slow; in Hubland plains, it's around mach 1. In some deserts, it's so slow it moves over dunes like molasses. This Is Perfectly Fine.

The SPeed Of Dark, however, is presumably the usual constant, associated with the Uncertain Whatchacallit, a type of lepard that goes so fast it can't see their mates, only their afterimages. Thus, it is going extinct. The Unseen University has studied one. It appears to be three inches thick, five feet in diameter, charred-black, and with an odor like cooked meat.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Kuroneko wrote:It just doesn't square with physics at all. A million-fold slowdown in phase velocity would distort images so completely that from refraction, there wouldn't be anything visually recognizable as a "Sun" in Discworld. Trying to make this a group velocity doesn't improve things by much. The visible range has an angular frequency half-width Δω = 1.25 PHz around c/ω = 80 nm, which would correspond to the average change in the index of refraction of Δn ~ 3E5, which, while smaller than the ~1E6 factor above, is not exactly reasonable either.

However Discworld light behaves, using ordinary physics to try to predict its behavior seems futile.
It gets worse. The sun in Discworld moves at a fairly good clip, keeping up a complicated dance around the Disc and between the elephants' various legs; it is technically a faster-than-light particle from the perspective of anyone on the Disc.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

I suspect that the inhabitants of the Discworld have adapted to whatever changes the magic field has on the refractive properties of light. Wizards have specialized structures in their eyes called Octagons (I think) which allows them to see objects in the magical spectrum. It could be that even 'normal' humans in the Discworld have something structurally different about their eyes or the way the process visual information that lets them see things comfortably on the Disc.

A normal human like ourselves visiting Discworld would run into all sorts of problems and might become functionally blind in the new environment. Or not... I suppose Narrativium could provide some protection from the alteration if one one has convenient access to a source of plot hooks.

Though I wonder if one could test the speed of Light exactly by stretching out a really long length of string several miles long starting a point A and ending at point B. End B would have a bell attached to it and the person at end A could pull it to (theoretically) ring the bell instantly on the other side (since the kinetic energy would be intensity transferred throughout the whole length). If person A were to pull the string while simultaneous shining a light, then from their perspective the light would shine at the same moment the bell rings, while the person at end B would hear the bell ring and could time how long it takes for the light to reach them.

Thus, my String Theory is that the Speed of Light on the discworld may or not be faster than the Speed of Sound, but neither of them are as fast as the Speed of String (which can transfer information between any two points instantly provided the two points are properly entangled). If the experiment fails it is clearly because the string was improperly entangled on something in the intervening space between the two points.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Rossum wrote:I suspect that the inhabitants of the Discworld have adapted to whatever changes the magic field has on the refractive properties of light. Wizards have specialized structures in their eyes called Octagons (I think) which allows them to see objects in the magical spectrum. It could be that even 'normal' humans in the Discworld have something structurally different about their eyes or the way the process visual information that lets them see things comfortably on the Disc.

A normal human like ourselves visiting Discworld would run into all sorts of problems and might become functionally blind in the new environment. Or not... I suppose Narrativium could provide some protection from the alteration if one one has convenient access to a source of plot hooks.

Though I wonder if one could test the speed of Light exactly by stretching out a really long length of string several miles long starting a point A and ending at point B. End B would have a bell attached to it and the person at end A could pull it to (theoretically) ring the bell instantly on the other side (since the kinetic energy would be intensity transferred throughout the whole length). If person A were to pull the string while simultaneous shining a light, then from their perspective the light would shine at the same moment the bell rings, while the person at end B would hear the bell ring and could time how long it takes for the light to reach them.

Thus, my String Theory is that the Speed of Light on the discworld may or not be faster than the Speed of Sound, but neither of them are as fast as the Speed of String (which can transfer information between any two points instantly provided the two points are properly entangled). If the experiment fails it is clearly because the string was improperly entangled on something in the intervening space between the two points.
Wouldn't the Speed of String be limited to the (real-world) speed of light, though? The pull still has to propagate down the length of the string.