Early Iron Man 2 info

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Early Iron Man 2 info

Post by Trogdor »

Sci-Fi Wire wrote:Favreau Reveals Iron Man 2 Secrets!

Iron Man director Jon Favreau told a small group of reporters that for the upcoming sequel, he wants to shoot in IMAX, possibly use 3-D technology, introduce the Mandarin and turn Terrence Howard's character into War Machine.

Favreau made the comments in a news conference Sept. 11 in Hollywood, where he and Iron Man co-creator Stan Lee were on hand to promote the Sept. 30 release of Iron Man on DVD.

Favreau joked about how pleased he was with the reviews and the box office--right up until The Dark Knight got better reviews and made even more money.

One aspect Favreau said that he would like to take from Dark Knight, budget permitting, is the use of IMAX. And if Favs has his way, he'd be interested in throwing 3-D into the mix as well.

"I would love to do 3-D," Favreau said, adding that he saw the use of IMAX and 3-D as ways to give people a reason to go to theaters.

Iron Man 2 already has a release date from Marvel of April 30, 2010, but Favreau and company are only in the early stages of scripting.

"The writing [on Iron Man 2] is really coming along well," Favreau said. "We've got Justin Theroux [Tropic Thunder] working on it, who [Iron Man and Tropic Thunder star Robert] Downey [Jr.] knows. He brings a real sense of fun. He's never worked in this genre before, and so he has that great newcomer's enthusiasm that I think we still share."

Favreau added: "Pages are coming out, but it's really more of a conversation than actual writing. They are never really what they are going to be in the movie until the day you're shooting."

Favreau said that he and his colleagues are currently looking at a lot of the different comics in terms of creating a tone and coming up with ideas for characters. Matt Fraction's recent work on the Iron Man comic books has become the biggest source for the sequel, Favreau said.

"I'll tell you which [comic books] we're looking at very closely, not so much for story but for tone: the Matt Fraction [ones]," he said. "I haven't talked to him yet, but we want to talk to him and get him out here. The Fraction series seems to be informed as much by our movie as by what had happened with Iron Man before."

In terms of the villain, Favreau admitted that he is still struggling with the character of the Mandarin and how to properly translate him into the movie's world. Though he hints at a possible appearance in part two, he indicated that it's unlikely he will be the primary focus.

"We'll see how that basic group of four people moves forward towards the inevitable Avengers that's coming and how the Mandarin, how largely he looms in the next one. That's mostly what we're doing," Favreau said.

"I'm going to bring you up to speed in the movie and tell a fun story," Favreau added. "I [want to] up the ante in smart ways. ... You're going to see that the suit has changed more. ... That [Tony Stark, played by Downey] is making breakthroughs and innovation. [You'll see] what has happened since he said, 'I am Iron Man.'"

And what's up with the 800-pound gorilla in the room, War Machine, the superpowered character that Howard's Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes morphs into? "I want to do it," Favreau said enthusiastically. "We're drawing War Machine. We're figuring it out. We're talking to Terrence to see if he can take some time out of his new life as a musician to be War Machine. I think Terrence and the character of Rhodey were smaller in the first movie than we had anticipated. But it does set the table very well for this character."

Favreau added: "War Machine is fun, and, again, you look for ways to up the ante."--Jeff Otto
link

All of it's subject to change at this early stage, I'm sure, but interesting none the less.

I'm not really familar with the Iron Man books. Is the news about using the Matt Fraction ones to set the tone a good thing or a bad thing?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Matt Fraction only started writing Invincible Iron Man quite recently; it started the same month the film came out, I believe.

Fraction's Iron Man is very good; a lot better than Iron Man's solo comic has been for a long time. It's sort of similar in tone to the film, although somewhat more serious. It's got a bit of a more realistic look at Iron Man and Stark than what's usually been done; for example the current story is about a terrorist scavenging old Stark-tech armour parts to using as high-tech IEDs.

If the movies were to take cues from Fraction's work with the character, I can't really see how it could be a bad thing.

I'm sort of cautious about the Mandarin, though. I would've thought he's a little too silver-age to work properly in a live action film
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Honestly what has Fraction written for Marvel that hasn't been fantastic.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Honestly what has Fraction written for Marvel that hasn't been fantastic.
Punisher War Journal got boring quickly, and what he's done on Uncanny X-men so far has been somewhat less than stellar.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I only stopped reading PWJ because Chaykin started penciling it. The book was always entertaining, and it always had something you didn't expect.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:Matt Fraction only started writing Invincible Iron Man quite recently; it started the same month the film came out, I believe.

Fraction's Iron Man is very good; a lot better than Iron Man's solo comic has been for a long time. It's sort of similar in tone to the film, although somewhat more serious. It's got a bit of a more realistic look at Iron Man and Stark than what's usually been done; for example the current story is about a terrorist scavenging old Stark-tech armour parts to using as high-tech IEDs.

If the movies were to take cues from Fraction's work with the character, I can't really see how it could be a bad thing.
I think I saw an issue of that. It was pretty good, and I was impressed...much better than the "Fascist Stark" mustache-twirler I was told the character had become.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

This seems interesting. I'm curious to see what they come up with. Iron Man doesn't have many good villains, so writing the sequel can't be that easy.

I'm sure that it wont' happen, but I would love to see Spymaster or the Ghost make an appearance in Iron Man 2. They were two of my favorite Iron Man villains because they played up the corporate espionage angle of the character.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I don't mind the IMAX, it did look great in Dark Knight, although I think they overhyped it just a bit.

I am worried about any 3D movie - the movie tech I've seen so far just doesn't work for me. Most of the time it results in unfused, double images which, needless to say, sucks immensely. Unless they have something new, but there's a bunch of us in the world who don't have quite normal vision and so our eyeballs don't work as expect when confronted with this stuff.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Manus Celer Dei wrote: I'm sort of cautious about the Mandarin, though. I would've thought he's a little too silver-age to work properly in a live action film
"The new head of the Ten Rings terrorists, all we know is that he's Chinese."
"Huh. Mandarin or Cantonese?"
"Mandarin, I think."

Name dropped, continue with movie.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Mayabird wrote:
Manus Celer Dei wrote: I'm sort of cautious about the Mandarin, though. I would've thought he's a little too silver-age to work properly in a live action film
"Mandarin, I think."

Fans seems to think it is politically correct to call someone based on his race...
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

ray245 wrote:
Mayabird wrote:
"Mandarin, I think."

Fans seems to think it is politically correct to call someone based on his race...
I didn't say they'd be calling him "The Mandarin" except one offhand mention. Obediah Stane wasn't called "Iron Monger" after all; he just used the term once. The writers could give the Mandarin a proper name and just toss out the line for the fans who know the comic.

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

If you want to avoid the "race issue" and be "politically correct" you can make the Mandarin either european or white american obessed with imperial china (hence removing the race issue, while keeping the connecting to china), though best way I could mere name drop with anything else said.

something like "we heard that the Ten rings group is lead by someone named the Mandarin but that's all we know (at the moment)"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Lord Revan wrote:If you want to avoid the "race issue" and be "politically correct" you can make the Mandarin either european or white american obessed with imperial china (hence removing the race issue, while keeping the connecting to china), though best way I could mere name drop with anything else said.

something like "we heard that the Ten rings group is lead by someone named the Mandarin but that's all we know (at the moment)"
That'd work, too.

To keep from being spammy, I hope if they do 3-D there'll be an option to not see it that way. 3-D effects and me have a bad tendency to give me headaches without me ever actually seeing the effects.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Mayabird wrote:
That'd work, too.

To keep from being spammy, I hope if they do 3-D there'll be an option to not see it that way. 3-D effects and me have a bad tendency to give me headaches without me ever actually seeing the effects.
I'm pretty sure the only way you'd see it in 3D is if you went to a special cinema for it, like IMAX. You can't show these kinds of movies at standard screens, so it'd be a limited release deal like we get with The Nightmare Before Christmas or how you could only see the proper IMAX shots of TDK at, unsurprisingly, an IMAX screen.

It would be quite jarring to have everyone see it in 3D, assuming it was possible. People got sickness from watching Cloverfield, and that was just jerk cam. I expect 3D visuals would be quite disorientating to some.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's not that they make me ill or disorient me, they usually just don't work. Of course, that's probably related to my having totally shit depth perception and the fact that even if my vision can be corrected to 20/20 it's still not normal.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I'd really like to see a new take on the Mandarin. It would be really interested if he was a American defense adviser of Chinese descent with all sorts of out there Dr. Strangelove ideas for the War on Terror and 21st Century defense postures. A hyperpatriot who has Dick Cheney/McSame like delusions of American hegemony and willing to go to any lengths to acheive them?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Mayabird wrote:
That'd work, too.

I'm pretty sure the only way you'd see it in 3D is if you went to a special cinema for it, like IMAX. You can't show these kinds of movies at standard screens, so it'd be a limited release deal like we get with The Nightmare Before Christmas or how you could only see the proper IMAX shots of TDK at, unsurprisingly, an IMAX screen.

It would be quite jarring to have everyone see it in 3D, assuming it was possible. People got sickness from watching Cloverfield, and that was just jerk cam. I expect 3D visuals would be quite disorientating to some.
My local multiplex has a few screens set up for 3D - I saw Beowulf there, and I've still got the glasses somewhere. :)

The only thing is, Beowulf had several shots obviously only added to show off the 3D - the messenger pointing his spear at Beowulf on the shore, when he arrives, for one. In 2D, they look shite.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Personally, the idea of handling The Mandarin as if he is somehow not Fu Manchu and thus not a brilliant but inhumanly evil mad scientist is alien to me. Sure, the actual story of Fu Manchu was racist in the extreme (the visage of Satan carved in gold!) yet at the same time it managed to present Fu Manchu as being absurdly awesome.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

The solution for how the Mandarin should be done is obvious:

But seriously, a Chinese arch-villain wanting to create a new Chinese Empire or something using advanced technology doesn't seem like a particularly crazy idea. Maybe not alien tech rings, but advanced technology is certainly doable in the world presented with both Iron man and The Incredible Hulk.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Advanced technology isn't, no, but one of the Mandarin's gimmicks is how he dresses up all his god-tech with the trappings of magic and sorcory, and I just can't see that working well with the established universe in the movies.

Sure, they could play down the whole "lol, pretend to be magic" angle but without that he would'nt really be the Mandarin anymore.

Honestly, if they're serious about taking cues from Fraction's stuff, then he's already made a great villian who would follow on perfectly from the first film: Ezekiel Stane, Obediah's son.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Argh, it's too damn late. Advanced technology isn't out of place, no is what that should read.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

THIS IS MY MECCA! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think that having the next protagonist be Obidiah Stane's son would be... kind of tacked on.

Perhaps the best way to do a sequel would be to have that Ten Rings international terror organization get a further upgrading of armaments, and then maybe Anthony Stark could get a rival in the form of an evil moustachioed (Asian) billionaire who is also secretly funding terror groups. Basically, we'd see a war of arms contractors, with Stark giving the Americans guns while Fu Manchu props up some Mohammad Jihads or something.

To the point where we'd see multiple Mohammad Jihads don Iron armor and take on Ironmang (and Warmachine?) in the middle of a Central Asian battlefield, while F-22s and M1A2 Abrams tanks are also taking on other Iron Mohammad Jihads and stuff.

WAR!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

More news.
Sci-Fi Wire wrote:Favreau Talks More Iron 2

Jon Favreau, who had been best known for his role in Swingers and for helming films such as Elf and Zathura, finally hit the big leagues this year with his megahit Iron Man.

With a second installment now set for April 30, 2010, SCI FI Wire had the chance to speak with Favs at the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood on Sept. 11, where he was promoting the release of Iron Man on DVD and Blu-ray Sept. 30.

Casual and open as always, Favreau entered the room full of press in appropriately high spirits. After all, things are going pretty well for him these days. After posing for a few photos, he sat at a large table with some dessert and joined press for a lengthy lunchtime conversation.

The conversation covered a wide variety of Iron Man topics, especially in terms of his plans for the sequel. He discussed his thoughts on where the characters will go, what familiar faces from the comics might pop up (including War Machine and possibly even the Mandarin) and even revealed his hopes to shoot portions of Iron Man 2 in the IMAX big-screen format and, budget permitting, in 3-D!

Below is an edited version of the conversation with Favreau.

Iron Man hit much bigger than expected. Were you surprised?

Favreau: I was surprised by everything. I was surprised that the reviews were so strong, then I was surprised that it made so much money. And then I was surprised that Dark Knight had better reviews and [that] it made so much more money [laughs].

How have the crossovers--such as Tony Stark's (Robert Downey Jr.) appearance in this summer's The Incredible Hulk--affected your plans for the next film?

Favreau: It's tough, because it first starts off as "Hey, wouldn't it be fun if we stuck a Captain America shield in the background? Wouldn't it be fun if we had Sam Jackson play Nick Fury, like in The Ultimate Avengers?" Now, between Captain America, S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury and the after-the-credit scene that then in the 11th hour became the final scene of The [Incredible] Hulk, that one was a big one for me. You're going to that guy, and you're forming a team. That's clearly not the day after Iron Man ended. Where does that fit in the continuum?

I don't want to just ignore it. I guess you could do what Marvel does and say it's an alternate universe [laughs]. They've gotten away with it for a couple of decades. But how do you make it all work within that world? Because I think it is fun, and I think Hulk was successful in keeping in a tone that did not seem inconsistent with our film.

For [the upcoming] Avengers [movie], you're not just dealing with tech; you're dealing with inter-dimensional portals and all the s--t that makes you jump the shark if you don't handle it right. We were very restrained with how we used our superhero-ism in our movie, and we did that by keeping it all tech-based. You get into [Captain America] and [it's a] guy frozen [for decades]. ... OK, I could maybe buy that with the super soldier thing. And then you get into Thor and it's like, "OK ... " You know? How do you make that all feel of the same world that our movie does? And that's going to be the challenge moving forward.

You've run across that issue yourself with Mandarin.

Favreau: The Mandarin is such a tricky character for us, because every way you turn, it's a minefield. OK, so you get into the mystical Asian dark arts and inter-dimensional travel and all the rings that do the different things and psychic abilities and stuff. That could be cool. Maybe it's cool, maybe if we really make it authentic. ... And then we see the trailer for the Mummy movie [The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor]. It's, like, they've got the Mandarin and Fing Fang Fu, and they shot it in China, as authentic as you're ever going to get. So I don't know if that fits our film. It's great for The Mummy, but ... where do you go with it?

People get desperate, and that's when you start breaking your own rules, and the movies start to lose their identity.

Would you bring Mandarin in for the third film?

Favreau: The Mandarin's still the main guy. But we always remind ourselves, nobody likes the Emperor compared to Darth Vader in Star Wars. And he's got the same lightning bolts. When the Emperor was just this figure that you saw obliquely, it was like, "S--t, Darth Vader's bowing to someone? That guy must be really cool." But then as he talked more, it's like, "All right, enough." And now, in The Clone Wars, he's like a sidekick.

It's really all how you treat the person, and that's what informs what it is. And so the Mandarin, to have that kind of weight to him, it's really a matter of using all the narrative tricks to do it. But a dude running around in robes shooting these beams and rays that have powers, ... if you take them literally, [that] would throw off the balance of the whole universe… How do you do it and keep the whole thing together and yet fulfill the expectations from the book?

So we do have him, and I think it's something that, a little bit goes a long way. There are a lot of other characters and a lot of other countries that have become very interesting lately and fit very well into our universe.

How is the writing coming along?

Favreau: The writing's really coming along well. We've got Justin Theroux working on it, who Downey knows, [and] he echoes Downey's taste a lot. They worked together on Tropic Thunder. He's an actor. So I come at writing the same way he does, and he brings a real sense of fun. He's never worked in this genre before, and so he has that great newcomer's enthusiasm that I think we both share.

So it's about "OK, here are the books. Here's what we've got." So we're breaking story, and pages are coming out, but it's really more of a conversation than actual writing. The pages come, but the pages are never really what they are going to be in the movie until the day you're shooting.

[We're looking at] the Matt Fraction stuff. I haven't talked to him yet, but we want to get him out here [and] get some of the real defining minds from the books. The Fraction series seems to be informed as much by our movie as it is with what happened with Iron Man before. It's a very curious combination. ...

The first movie ends with a pretty major brawl. Are you looking to go even bigger in the sequel?

Favreau: I am. A lot of that came from the fact that we were being very ambitious as far as to what we were going to accomplish and the amount of money we had. So we went forward with the plan of "Let's shoot as much practically as we can," which I'm on board for, because I like that, and with the Stan Winston suit and the way it was designed. It was like, "Let's see what we can accomplish with it."

The Mark 1 [suit] we got a lot accomplished with. I'd say 90 percent of what you see in there is the suit. By the time you got into the Mark 2, we were doing a lot of flying, and we handed it off even more. The suit that they built was great reference for [Industrial Light & Magic, which did the film's visual effects].

When we got into the stuff with him fighting, with the real suit, it just looked terrible. It looked like Power Rangers.

It's a bummer, because we would have liked to have more of the flying. We did add one sequence where they went up to space, but it didn't really sing as much as it could have, had we planned originally to have it that way.

The good news is that it was successful and people liked it. It left us a lot of room for improvement the next time around. And that's another challenge. How do you outdo yourself? ...

In terms of an Avengers film, are you logistically concerned with the idea of trying to get all these huge stars into one film in terms of cost?

Favreau: That's sort of the danger, isn't it? Forget about creatively, but just from a perspective of finances. But somehow they make Ocean's Eleven, so there [are] clearly business models. I think it has more to do with if people are enthusiastic and feel that they're going to be in a movie that they're going to be proud of. --Jeff Otto

link
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It's really all how you treat the person, and that's what informs what it is. And so the Mandarin, to have that kind of weight to him, it's really a matter of using all the narrative tricks to do it. But a dude running around in robes shooting these beams and rays that have powers, ... if you take them literally, [that] would throw off the balance of the whole universe… How do you do it and keep the whole thing together and yet fulfill the expectations from the book?
This bit made me "lol"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!