Challenging Spocktard to a debate

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

In this instance, I would reccommend restraining your urge to use profanity, deserved as it might be. Remain polite. Don't give them the excuse to moan.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Kane Starkiller wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:As far as him wanting to post the debate on SDN as a "fresh" member, I am unsurprised to find that he would want a cheering section and help with research and analysis.
In other words Thanatos is insecure and stupid. I wonder does Spock think this thinly veiled insult is sooo clever that no one will see through it or does he think camouflaging his insults like this makes them acceptable?
Probably the former.
Why am I not surprised that the admin for StarfleetCircleJerk would accuse Thanatos of running to SDN for a "cheering section"?
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

NecronLord wrote:In this instance, I would reccommend restraining your urge to use profanity, deserved as it might be. Remain polite.
I'm perfectly polite for a given definition of polite. :)

I'm actually perfectly polite, its just that I'm not Ned Flanders polite like they are.
Don't give them the excuse to moan.
They don't really need one. Mr Oragahn keeps complaining that I don't give him a free ride on whatever shit he thinks he should be able to do. Apparently he thinks that rules should only apply to "wanking warsies" and any attempt to regulate his behavior is part of a global Warsue conspiracy.

Don't tell anyone this, but it goes straight to the top: Bush has just signed into law a bill that forbids any criticism of the ICS. Trekkies are being rounded up worldwide and thrown into reeducation centers as we speak. The final victory begins! :wink:
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I find it funny that he accuses you of running here, given that you have approximately 1/10 of the posts of the average member of this board. You rarely even post here, and the posters you are talking to here are almost entirely members of Sb.net, where you not only post more often but possess more authority to compel help and require asskissing.

But the facts don't ever stand in the way of such scrubs.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think it's clear that if he never posted here, this would obviously mean that he doesn't read the arguments here nor does he ever talk to any board members on other channels like IM.

Oh wait - a zero-post lurker could be jsut as prepared as anyone, simply by READING. :lol:
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Just to buck the trend:

Thanatos, your personal hygiene is questionable, and your breath smells of poo. Only a jarhead would be so slow as to wait this long before issuing a challenge to Spockie, and only a jarhead silly enough to be a tank jockey would expect any kind of positive result from the effort given the past attempts. I also find your biased moderating skills insufficient, as you have yet to ban any of the bearers of the True Banner of Trek for such offenses as 'looking at the screen funny', or 'failing to verbally fellate you'. :P

In all seriousness, a b-tech debate? You could at least pick something where it would be mildly difficult to take him apart. :wink:
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Thank you, Consequences, I desperately needed that laugh.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Spock really shot himself in the foot by planting a Titan Legion on that planet.

Really, arguing about lasguns and large lasers is completely pointless when the Imperials have walking deathmobiles with starship-grade weaponry and shields. I mean, it's like that "USS Iowa vs. hundreds of XIXth century sailing frigates" thread.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Did anyone post a link to the thread in question?
Your ad here.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

PeZook wrote:Spock really shot himself in the foot by planting a Titan Legion on that planet.
Really, arguing about lasguns and large lasers is completely pointless when the Imperials have walking deathmobiles with starship-grade weaponry and shields. I mean, it's like that "USS Iowa vs. hundreds of XIXth century sailing frigates" thread.
Not really. Against the hundreds of sailing frigates, the Iowa may eventually run out of ammunition so the survivors from the frigates have a chance to board. WH'may be able to give the Wars Empire a run for its money, at least on the ground'40K vs 'gets its ass handed to it by the german Wehrmacht' Battletech?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Batman wrote: Not really. Against the hundreds of sailing frigates, the Iowa may eventually run out of ammunition so the survivors from the frigates have a chance to board. WH'may be able to give the Wars Empire a run for its money, at least on the ground'40K vs 'gets its ass handed to it by the german Wehrmacht' Battletech?
Uh, no. The Iowa will never be boarded by the frigates because it can mission-kill them all by simply sailing near them, and can do 30+ knots vs. "ten with extremely good wind". Exactly like trying to kill an Imperator Titan with puny 100-ton shieldless mechs considered the top-end of Battletech ground combat ability :P

Spock declared the invaders have to take two evacuated cities, right?

Which basically goes like this: Titan Legion lands, turns both cities into rubble with stand-off starship grade weapons, walks into the ruins, plants the Imperial banner :D

Campaign over in hours.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Which one ?

Heres Thanatos' "challenge" thread and the two recent B-tech versus 40k threads.

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=915
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=937
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=932

For the lulz, and some background to Thanatos' opinions of SFJ, heres some "Greatest hits" threads,

Imperium versus Trek
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... c&start=15

Klingons versus Imperium
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746

Ork Waagh versus trek
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... sc&start=0
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

PeZook wrote:
Which basically goes like this: Titan Legion lands, turns both cities into rubble with stand-off starship grade weapons, walks into the ruins, plants the Imperial banner :D

Campaign over in hours.
Would they even need to land outside the city? IIRC, Titans come down in huge coffin-like drop pods; they could just crash down inside the cities, step out, casually kick over any Mechs that survived the landing like errant schoolchildren trying to tackle a NFL linebacker, and then plant the flag.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Darth Raptor wrote:Isn't BattleTech weaker than modern Earth? I vaguely remember a thread wherein the Allies of WWI compared favorably...
Before or After I entered?:D

The problem with Btech armour is either its unrealistic, or if its realistic, its cardboard paper thin.
Aratech wrote: As for B-Tech, while I cannot speak for the space battles (I've only got the Jade Phoenix trilogy) what I've seen of ground combat indicates that while somewhat inane and often poorly designed (like the Timber Wolfe's giant 'shoot here please' cockpit) they should still murder any UFP ground forces... which brings us back to the rocket booted infantry wank again (I swear, watching that debate on SFJ killed brain cells).
Actually.... we have multiple schematics from Mechwarrior 2nd edt, Mechwarrior 3rd Edt, I believe the new upgrades and other source material showing once and for all that the "big ass head" is not the head in general. Yes, Mechwarrior 2, the computer game makes that entire big jutter the head, but in the schematics, the cockpit actually occupy a very small portion of the head itself.Not only are we shown schematics showing what is inside the "head" in MW3, we are also shown the cockpit itself in MW2, a small seat that looks like its 1m tall approximately, and that's if we're counting the ejection mechanism.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

PainRack wrote:
Darth Raptor wrote:Isn't BattleTech weaker than modern Earth? I vaguely remember a thread wherein the Allies of WWI compared favorably...
Before or After I entered?:D

The problem with Btech armour is either its unrealistic, or if its realistic, its cardboard paper thin.
Don't forget 'basically poo against explosions either way'. :P
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

I've been reading those threads White Rabbit posted, and the only think that comes to mind is Mrs.Browlawski chanting 'What, What, What!?!'.

Question though. How much energy would it take to superheat a space marines armor and vaporize the man inside? And considering it happened at the Lascannon's extreme range, what's the effect atmosphere will have on dispersing the beam's energy at that range?
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

consequences wrote: Don't forget 'basically poo against explosions either way'. :P
The armour that's proof against 50mm calibre is "shattered" by 20mm calibre shells:D

Its absurdly funny when you read quotes about how the armour is rated against 30mm calibre, 50mm calibre shells, and the next thing is that you know those rotorblades or etc are destroyed by a AC/2.:D
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

yuck....... A poster who's utterly ignorant about BOTH vs topics?
I had my fair share of that crap at TFN..........
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

PainRack wrote:
consequences wrote: Don't forget 'basically poo against explosions either way'. :P
The armour that's proof against 50mm calibre is "shattered" by 20mm calibre shells:D

Its absurdly funny when you read quotes about how the armour is rated against 30mm calibre, 50mm calibre shells, and the next thing is that you know those rotorblades or etc are destroyed by a AC/2.:D
I'm mainly thinking about the fact that a long tom round will kill ever man in the open within 45 meters, and also knock off 62.5% of a ton of armor at the same distance without fail.

Or with the advanced rules, at 75 meters. :P
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

PainRack wrote:

Isn't an AC5 a fully-automatic 120mm gun? It's described that way in the old Gray Death Legion books.

So what caliber is an AC2? I thought machine guns were generally 20mm.
Your ad here.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Autocannon calibres are all over the place, really. 120mm has been used to describe anything from an AC/5 to an AC/20 (which isn't necessarily impossible but rather unlikely :wink: )
Assuming modern-day ammunition weights, machine guns are approximately .50cal (and, if memory serves, at least once explicitly called that)and AC/2s have been described as anything from 30 to 50mm.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Batman wrote:Autocannon calibres are all over the place, really. 120mm has been used to describe anything from an AC/5 to an AC/20 (which isn't necessarily impossible but rather unlikely :wink: )
Assuming modern-day ammunition weights, machine guns are approximately .50cal (and, if memory serves, at least once explicitly called that)and AC/2s have been described as anything from 30 to 50mm.
MGs are usually termed 20mm or 30mm calibre guns, with the smaller calibre stated to be more rapid firing than the 30mm.

I tend to stick to the Battletech Compendium description however, 20-80mm for light autocannons, with heavy autocannon being from 50-150.Errr..... Or something like that, my memory isn't working too well anymore.

I'm mainly thinking about the fact that a long tom round will kill ever man in the open within 45 meters, and also knock off 62.5% of a ton of armor at the same distance without fail.

Or with the advanced rules, at 75 meters. Razz
Let's not forget that said Long Toms and Arrow IVs carry LESS explosives than an entire LRM 20 salvo in said droplets, yet can shower the entire region. Still, not worse than the Thunder LRMs....... which uses submunitions to cover a 30m hex.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Oh frabulous Btech debates. Btech has to be the only sci-fi universe that has a physics system that is less physically plausible than some fantasy verses magic. I mean, Gurren Lagann has a more consistent physics system than Btech, and they throw galaxies at each other and drill through time and space. :lol:
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

PainRack wrote:
Batman wrote:Autocannon calibres are all over the place, really. 120mm has been used to describe anything from an AC/5 to an AC/20 (which isn't necessarily impossible but rather unlikely :wink: )
MGs are usually termed 20mm or 30mm calibre guns, with the smaller calibre stated to be more rapid firing than the 30mm.

I tend to stick to the Battletech Compendium description however, 20-80mm for light autocannons, with heavy autocannon being from 50-150.Errr..... Or something like that, my memory isn't working too well anymore.

Or with the advanced rules, at 75 meters. Razz
Let's not forget that said Long Toms and Arrow IVs carry LESS explosives than an entire LRM 20 salvo in said droplets, yet can shower the entire region. Still, not worse than the Thunder LRMs....... which uses submunitions to cover a 30m hex.
I bet you're a real fan of the Thunder-Augmented LRM's then. :P
Your ad here.
harbringer
Padawan Learner

Post by harbringer »

The problem is the battletech cannon rules have changed a few times the current cannon is the new rules set, Im not sure on mechwarrior dark age cannon but since it is a dead game here<shrugs>. Previously it was novels and before that rulebook fluff and before that the rules.

That said battletech has no hope against the IOM even just the guard could whomp them. But then under the current cannon rules most things can <shrugs> but lets be honest I still like the idea of giant machines wiping out city blocks - it just says cool to the adolescent side of me :P so can they win sure but not my heart :lol: hope this helps. If you want me to refer to the new books leave a post or message and give me a couple of days to get back to you.
"Depending on who you talk to, a mercenary can be anything from a savior to the scum of the universe. On the Wolf's Dragoons world of Outreach, the Mercenary's Star, we know what a merc really is - a business man." - Wolf's Dragoons, Outreach (Merc World mag. 3056)