I'd recommend the novel to anyone. Moving on...
I'll start short with this, cuz I'm tired.
an Underhive town is attacked by Hive Primus City militia (which probably means the PDF for the rich folks.) Their gear and training seem to indicate they are of storm-trooper grade (making them significantly better than most PDFs and even most Guard forces.) Given the insane manufacturing capability of Necromunda, this is hardly surprising.They wore scrolled and polished carapace armour and full helmets that covered their heads and shoulders. Beautiful bronze-coloured armour, the colour of aged sipping-liquor. Their faces bulged with darkvisors and machine-sights. There were grenades and limpet-meltas pouched at their hips and fat-barrelled fast-fire hellguns slung at their backs.
One of them was coming down the line nearest us now, ner enough for me to see the Hive City Militia emblems etched into his armour and hear the soft buzz of the climb-harness that was lowering him. Buying kit like that woudl send an Underhiver broke for a year. The visor was turned toward me, ,watching me without expression.
"melta grenades" (a low-tech devicee). Meltaguns are considered high-end devices by underhive standards.Then they had gone to work on the big shutter-doors and that was when things got really scary, Thamm told me later, because the stuff they had to do that was good[. Not the gas-drills and sputtering red-glowing melta grenades you get with gangs who go in for hardware damage, but stuff most Underhivers won't see but once or twice in a lifetime. Long-necked cutting torches the same gleaming bronze as their carapace armour and white-hot meltas that brought the gates down in the time that their gang-made cousins would have taken to warm up. Even now the doors still hung in creepy derelict lean.
Given the fact that the Underhive is a haven for all sorts of infectiosu agents, its probably not surprising they place a premium on medical stuff.Every Underhiver should know about looking after cysts and rashes and sores, there are enough damn things that'll give them to you. Was it petty to let a kid get to me like that who didn't even know to clean out a sore?
- the weapons shop/armourer guy that Kass (the hero of the story) gives his laspistol powerpack to (to charge it up) says "an artisan's lucky charm" as he clicks it in for recharging." About as close to the AdMech "Machine Spirit" attitude most would get down here, I suppose.
- House Delaque-style autoguns (long arms) have compact, smooth-handling guns, made to be "quick and easy to sto and keep out of the way when you have to move fast and quiet, or to get up a girder or down a chute" - that would seem to suggest a carbine.
Unfortunately the "house/gang" rivalries and divisions tend to create problems for projectile-firing weapons in that the ammo of a certain gang/house will onyl work with their firearms (Delaque autoguns with delaque ammo, for example). Though creative armourers/smiths can "cut down" or "adapt" weapons to change the ammo/caliber. (Kass' autogun is a Delaque frame, but a smith fitted a barrel and action from an Escher long-rifle, after having cut down the barrel and modifying the action so it woudl fit in the smaller frame, that is.)
- Escher guns are "quick and clean", with "recoil but none of the jagged muzzle climb that you can always pcik the Goliath or CAwdor guns by.". It also apparently has a smoother feed ("eating up Escher ammo smooth as you please") than those guns.
Differences between a slughtrower and a las weapon, c hiefly being controllability and recoil.People who say you're either a las or slug shooter, that you can get the hang of one or the other, are squeaking with it. Ignore them. I remembered the kick as stronger, so overcompensation sent the first burst way off, but the right reflexes bobbed up after that and the two-tone burrned off quick, tight bursts that walked up the strips of plas-sheet as the weapon rode my shoulder.
- smell of "cordite", giving the indication of the propellant. Kass doesn't think he could use one of hte great "hand cannons" that the Goliath use (probably because the Golaiths are obscenely strong, and thus they can wield heavier and more recoil-intense weapons without problem.)
- twenty minutes for the las pistol power cell to be fully recharged.