How do various MMO's compare in player per shard ?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

How do various MMO's compare in player per shard ?

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm looking for some measurements of the number of players various MMO's have on each of their shards. I'd like both the mean population and the population range between the highest and lowest populated shards if those numbers are available.

For this thread if two players can easily interact with each other, they will be considered in the same shard. For example because all players can use the international districts in guild wars, it will be considered as having 1 shard for all players.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Eve online: 1 shard with on average 20k to 30k players online
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml

Right hand side shows each clusters current online population.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/ ... index.html

It's a year old, but better than nothing...the new census should be coming out in a week or two.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

wautd wrote:Eve online: 1 shard with on average 20k to 30k players online
Don't forget the Chinese shard.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Do you mean peak/average simultaneous players, or registered accounts per shard?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I'm actually after the number of active accounts per shard. Though comparing the number of active accounts to the number of players online could prove interesting.
Molyneux wrote:http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/ ... index.html

It's a year old, but better than nothing...the new census should be coming out in a week or two.
I'll use the players logging number for the number of active accounts. Since there are 1440 minutes in a day, and the average time online is 164 minutes I've calculated the average number of players online to be: 500'000*(164/1440) = 56944 across all shards.

So how many shards does Final Fantasy XI have ?
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

bilateralrope wrote:I'm actually after the number of active accounts per shard. Though comparing the number of active accounts to the number of players online could prove interesting.
Molyneux wrote:http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/ ... index.html

I'll use the players logging number for the number of active accounts. Since there are 1440 minutes in a day, and the average time online is 164 minutes I've calculated the average number of players online to be: 500'000*(164/1440) = 56944 across all shards.

So how many shards does Final Fantasy XI have ?
About twelve, I think?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

phongn wrote:
hmm touché
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Doesn't Eve Online hold the record for most concurrent users on the one shard ?
Molyneux wrote:About twelve, I think?
So we are down to under 5000 people online per shard. So does Eve Online's 20k - 30k players is looking to be the highest.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

bilateralrope wrote:Doesn't Eve Online hold the record for most concurrent users on the one shard ?
Uncontested
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

bilateralrope wrote:Doesn't Eve Online hold the record for most concurrent users on the one shard ?
Molyneux wrote:About twelve, I think?
So we are down to under 5000 people online per shard. So does Eve Online's 20k - 30k players is looking to be the highest.
Eh, FFXI tends to fluctuate; you get probably about 10,000 people online during each of the three peak periods, then dropoffs in between.
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

1 - I'm guessing that those numbers are the number of active accounts, simply because I haven't heard anyone beating Eve's record for most concurrent users.

2 - What is the A/H ratio ?

Considering this appears to be a 3rd party mod used to generate the stats, how accurate are the generated stats ?
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

bilateralrope wrote:1 - I'm guessing that those numbers are the number of active accounts, simply because I haven't heard anyone beating Eve's record for most concurrent users.

2 - What is the A/H ratio ?

1)

Considering this appears to be a 3rd party mod used to generate the stats, how accurate are the generated stats ?
My apologies, I linked it rather quickly, I had just discovered the website a few days ago myself when I was researching WoW realm populations and locations as I'm new to the game.

After reading the website more thoroughly, it appears the numbers displayed indicate the number of active characters in each shard, not the number of accounts. Indeed, in effect, I assume this makes those numbers useless to you.

2) A/H ratio refers to the Alliance/Horde ratio, the number of people relative to each side.
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

Sorry, that wasn't quite as clear as it could be. The Alliance/Horde ratio referring to the two factions in WoW -- Alliance and Horde, and the ratio comparing the number of players in each respective faction.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Vyraeth wrote:My apologies, I linked it rather quickly, I had just discovered the website a few days ago myself when I was researching WoW realm populations and locations as I'm new to the game.

After reading the website more thoroughly, it appears the numbers displayed indicate the number of active characters in each shard, not the number of accounts. Indeed, in effect, I assume this makes those numbers useless to you.
Oh the numbers are still useful for my purposes. And if you could find out the average number of characters people run, I'd be able to easily estimate the number of accounts.
2) A/H ratio refers to the Alliance/Horde ratio, the number of people relative to each side.
Because its ratio is noticeable different from the percentage of characters on each side, would I be right in assuming its reflecting hours logged ?

On the other hand, the paragraph down the bottom suggests its the ratio of alliance : horde players sending in data.
Vyraeth
Padawan Learner

Post by Vyraeth »

bilateralrope wrote:Oh the numbers are still useful for my purposes. And if you could find out the average number of characters people run, I'd be able to easily estimate the number of accounts.
All right, I'll work on this.
bilateralrope wrote:Because its ratio is noticeable different from the percentage of characters on each side, would I be right in assuming its reflecting hours logged ?

On the other hand, the paragraph down the bottom suggests its the ratio of alliance : horde players sending in data.
I'll investigate this, though it may be as you've stated, the ratio of Alliance/Horde players sending in data.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

wautd wrote:
phongn wrote:
hmm touché
I think the two shards have both peaked at about 33K or so.