Darth Vader inside a Cube

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Since when does a power surge cause a computer to miscalculate (and instantly resume normal functioning) instead of being physically damaged?
Ever heard of the Pentium?
Just the fact that overclocking causes a processor to miscalculate, not necessarily get fried :roll:
Quoting error. The above was from Metrion Cascade, I think. And Jodan, I don't think you have anything to worry about. IIRC, the same thing about Survivors was in Wong's database :D
Sorry about that, I knew it came from her, but my fingers slipped.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Since when does a power surge cause a computer to miscalculate (and instantly resume normal functioning) instead of being physically damaged?
If you had any idea about how about how RAM works you would not have said that. Ever used pointers and dynamic memory allocation in C++ ? If you did you would have realized just how dangerous corrupted memory can be.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
lazerus
The Fuzzy Doom

Post by lazerus »

If you did you would have realized just how dangerous corrupted memory can be.
ERROR.

ALL DATA CORRUPTED.

PROGRAM "LIFE SUPPORT.EXE" HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN KERNEL 32 AND WILL NOW CLOSE.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

The Federation still hasn't learned to not put spaces in its binary names, I see.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

lazerus wrote:
If you did you would have realized just how dangerous corrupted memory can be.
ERROR.

ALL DATA CORRUPTED.

PROGRAM "LIFE SUPPORT.EXE" HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN KERNEL 32 AND WILL NOW CLOSE.
Actualy in Windows it would probobly be an "illeagal operation" or an accesss violation. If the problem is realy serious your computer will hang.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

To recap - hand phasers can, without modification:

- stun people, causing "phaser burns" and imparting some physical momentum (massive particles/repulsor beam and a recoil damper?) - I'll concede the conservation of momentum point even though there are other flat-out violations of known physics in all sci-fi
- kill people, causing them to "die"
- disintegrate people, causing them to "disintegrate"
- overload, causing a small grenade-like "explosion"
- heat some rocks suddenly enough that they explode, disintegrate others
- fire on auto after being set down
- fire a wide-angle beam. This is explained by the TNG Tech Manual, which shows three buttons - one marked as power setting, another marked as beam width, and the trigger
- be transported while firing, taking the beam with them.

With modification, they can fire alternate "modulations" or rotating ones.

Phaser rifles can, without modification:

- stun people
- kill people
- presumably disintegrate, but I've never actually seen it!
- fire beams, pulses, and wide-angle shots (even on kill)
- be set to "backfire," killing the next person to pull the trigger
- explode rocks

With modification, they can fire Borg nanoprobes, and be set on rotating modulations. I would assume that if phaser rifles didn't already have some means of moving solids, it would be simpler to use another device (like a dart gun, spray dispenser or gas canister). It again bears mentioning that in "Prey," when Seven of Nine fires on the Species 8472 member that's gotten aboard, he is in zero-G and pushed back several meters by the hits. This is easily a three or four hundred pound alien, with inertia regardless of the gravity loss. There cannot possibly be a sufficient mass of nanoprobes that they're pushing him back when they hit his skin. The pulses themselves are somehow imparting momentum (massive particles/repulsor beam and recoil damper?).
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Well if Vader is in a Borg Cube and the Borg Queen feels that he's too much of a threat, then all she'll do is blow the Cube up.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

According to his WEG game stats, he just TEARS the Cube apart with the Force. Heh.

Of course, that was the game where the Emperor didn't need the Death Star because he could just rip the planet apart by himself. :)
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Enigma wrote:Well if Vader is in a Borg Cube and the Borg Queen feels that he's too much of a threat, then all she'll do is blow the Cube up.
Of course that assumes Vader does not forsee it, a very unlikely possibility for someone so powerful in the dark side of the force. The Borg Queen consists of extensive amounts of non-living matter, she will extremely vulenrable to Darth Vader.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

But would Vader be able tro "Feel" Somehow that she is the leader of the ship and get to her before she blows the cube? I don't know, this seems to be a good point, as Vader will undoubtedly be slowed by the drones moving en masse towards him. If the queen recieves word that her drones are being slaughtered wholesale, and all her tactical options have been exhausted.....
Well, you get the point. This whole scenario may come down to how quickly Vader can find and control the queen...This would make a neat short story....
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Since Darth Vader can see the future he will know who is going to blow up the Cube.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

Chardok wrote:But would Vader be able tro "Feel" Somehow that she is the leader of the ship and get to her before she blows the cube? I don't know, this seems to be a good point, as Vader will undoubtedly be slowed by the drones moving en masse towards him. If the queen recieves word that her drones are being slaughtered wholesale, and all her tactical options have been exhausted.....
Well, you get the point. This whole scenario may come down to how quickly Vader can find and control the queen...This would make a neat short story....
She'd still have to be on that cube, instead of her ship or the Unicomplex.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Metrion Cascade wrote:
Chardok wrote:But would Vader be able tro "Feel" Somehow that she is the leader of the ship and get to her before she blows the cube? I don't know, this seems to be a good point, as Vader will undoubtedly be slowed by the drones moving en masse towards him. If the queen recieves word that her drones are being slaughtered wholesale, and all her tactical options have been exhausted.....
I doubt Vader can control her if she's in her Unimatrix and Vader is in some random Cube far far away. She'll find out that fighting or assimilating Vader would be a lost cause and decide that blowing up the Cube would be better than having him tear the Collective apart. Besides, even if Vader can forsee that the Cube would be blown up, I'd doubt he could do anything. For all we know, the Queen herself could give the command to self-destruct directly to the Cube's computer core itself instead of relaying it to a (or a series of)drone(s).
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Chardok, Evilcat: Force precog and mind-reading are actually very difficult, even for Force users as powerful as Vader.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Chardok, Evilcat: Force precog and mind-reading are actually very difficult, even for Force users as powerful as Vader.
I was going to mention that; Referencing palpatine's apprent vision of total victory at endor, but I made the post at work and didn't have time to really write up anything comprehensive. I was going to try to quote Yoda...cloudy, the future is... :wink:
Mercenario
Redshirt

Re: Darth Vader inside a Cube

Post by Mercenario »

Seven : "The optical assembly is properly aligned. I am ready to access the main power supply."
Kim : "After you."
(The pair climb down, and Seven begins to reach into a conduit)
Kim : "Wait! What are you doing, there are five million gigawatts running through there!"
Seven : "The exoskeleton on this limb can withstand it."
So if the drones bodys are even build to withstand this force, I would guess their shilds would not overload.

(Why some phaser guns work is something compleatly different.)

@Sarevok
Of course that assumes Vader does not forsee it, a very unlikely possibility for someone so powerful in the dark side of the force. The Borg Queen consists of extensive amounts of non-living matter, she will extremely vulenrable to Darth Vader.
No, she would not. You can't kill her. Picarad killed her "body", does not mean she is dead.
This whole scenario may come down to how quickly Vader can find and control the queen...This would make a neat short story....
He would need to control the hole collective. Trillion of minds more years of knowledge every living beeing could hope to have. Not a save place to go.
And he would be a worthy target of assimilation. Considering that vader is driven by anger and self hate. He fell for palpetine who could not even offer him, what he was searching for. The borg could have and I guess they still can.
So sending vader to the borg would be quite conterproductive. Vader is a broken and very tragic character. To send him to a place, where he might find a new start/oblivion would be tempting. As a jedi he might have fought the temptation, as a sith there is just no reason.
To rule the galaxie as king and not as the side kick of his former master. Immortal. And maybe even the possibility to see his lost love again.

So after consideration I guess he would join the borg. They offer everything he was searching for. They are the order and the honesty he graved so deaply. (Even more after beeing betrayed several times)
@Metrion Cascade
The borg queen is everywhere and nowhere at the same time. She is the voice of the collective.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

An 8 year thread necromancy? Now that is impressive.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

This thread has been appropriated by the Master Control Program. End of line.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.