The Walls Come Down: No Travel Betwen US and Europe for 30 Days

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Walls Come Down: No Travel Betwen US and Europe for 30 Days

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Coronavirus legislation, including paid sick leave and free emergency testing, stalled after Republicans tried to slip abortion restrictions into the bill:

https://vice.com/en_us/article/4ag55g/r ... reddit.com
As lawmakers neared a deal on a coronavirus rescue package that would include paid sick leave and free virus testing, a few roadblocks emerged. Among them: Republican attempts to wedge anti-choice restrictions into the House's relief bill, turning—if momentarily—a public health crisis into an abortion debate.

The tensions reportedly revolved around the Hyde Amendment, a decades-old provision that blocks federal funds from going to abortion services, preventing millions of low-income Americans on Medicaid from accessing abortion care.

According to conservative media, some top Republicans believed a stipulation in the House bill requiring the government to reimburse private laboratories doing coronavirus testing could effectively overturn the Hyde Amendment by establishing a government funding stream not subject to the restrictions. In response, anti-choice lawmakers insisted on including language in the legislation that would reaffirm the principles of the amendment.

When Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced on Thursday that negotiations over the coronavirus response bill would go into next week, he accused House Speaker Pelosi of turning the legislation into an “ideological wish list.”

“Instead of focusing on immediate relief to affected individuals, families and businesses, the House Democrats chose to wander into various areas of policy that are barely related if at all to the issue before us,” McConnell said.

Yet it is often Republicans who use unrelated legislation as a vehicle for their anti-abortion agenda. And it’s not the first time they’ve used legislation tied to public health emergencies to do it: Amid the spread of the Zika virus in 2016, anti-choice lawmakers added a caveat blocking Planned Parenthood health care providers from accessing any of the designated emergency funds.

Conservative lawmakers also tried to wedged a sneaky anti-abortion provision into Trump’s 2017 tax plan, giving expectant parents the option of creating a savings plan before their child is even born. The measure included fetal personhood language, referring to fetuses as “unborn children,” and defining “unborn child” as any “child in utero.”

And abortion restrictions have been a sticking point in spending bills, which both parties use to push for policies they’re having trouble advancing by other means. In 2018, the White House pushed Republicans in Congress to slip measures that threatened to cut federal funding to Planned Parenthood into a spending bill to prevent the third government shutdown of the year—even though government dollars never went to funding abortion services at the clinics because of the Hyde Amendment. A little less than a year later, Democrats used their new House majority to pass a spending bill that challenged the one of the Trump administration’s most wide-reaching abortion restrictions: the global gag rule, a law that bans U.S. funding from going to international organizations that provide abortion services or even discuss abortion as a form of reproductive health care. (This version of the spending bill did not make it past Senate Republicans.)

But while government shutdowns can, at a point, become national emergencies, none so far has compared to the scale of the current global coronavirus pandemic, which could leave the U.S. worse off than countries like Italy—which put a quarter of its population on emergency quarantine—the longer it delays decisive action.

The unemployment benefits and free testing that are at the core of the coronavirus rescue package mean preventing further spread of the virus, and making sure that low-wage workers can afford to pay for food, rent, and other necessities if they get sick, or if their workplaces shutter to mitigate harm, or as a result of government mandates.

Neither of those things have to do with abortion—they’re urgent health matters that require the fastest possible response from elected officials.

Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of VICE delivered to your inbox daily.

Follow Marie Solis on Twitter.
Yeah, they're "pro life". That's why they pull stunts like this, rather than focus on the actual deadly crisis.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

House passes Coronavirus response bill, claims to have reached an agreement with the Trump Regime. As per Rep. Pelosi on Facebook:
Today, we will pass the Families First Coronavirus Response Act after reaching an agreement with the Administration. This landmark legislation builds on the action that House Democrats took last week to put families first with our strong, bipartisan $8.3 billion emergency funding package.

This legislation is about testing, testing, testing. To stop the spread of the virus, we have secured free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured.

For families’ economic security, we secured paid emergency leave with two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave. We have also secured enhanced Unemployment insurance for those who lose their jobs.

For families’ food security, we strengthened nutrition security initiatives, including SNAP, student meals, seniors’ nutrition and food banks. 22 million children rely on free or reduced-price school meals for their food security; we must ensure that they have food to eat.

For families’ health security, we increased federal funds for Medicaid to support our local, state, tribal and territorial governments and health systems, so that they have the resources necessary to combat this crisis.

As the Senate works to pass this bill, the House will begin work on a third emergency response package to protect the health, economic security and well-being of the American people.
So, not through the Senate, which means there's still time for Moscow Mitch to sink it or for Trump to change his mind on the "agreement". But, fingers crossed.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

AniThyng wrote: 2020-03-13 04:13am So, help me affirm or debunk this

https://www.globalresearch.ca/covid-19- ... us/5706078
As readers will recall from the earlier article (above), Japanese and Taiwanese epidemiologists and pharmacologists have determined that the new coronavirus almost certainly originated in the US since that country is the only one known to have all five types – from which all others must have descended. Wuhan in China has only one of those types, rendering it in analogy as a kind of “branch” which cannot exist by itself but must have grown from a “tree”.
Snipped this down to the.the actual claim. This is evolutionary garbage. Branches don't lead inward but only radiate outward. There was an excellent study quoted in the previous Covid thread that actually showed hiw the mutations racked up from the original strain in Wuhan and mutated into the five strains seen above.

If there are 5 strains in the USA all that shows is how poorly and slowly US quarintine practice sucked.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Also, the US is a big place with ample geography and population to allow an ambitious young virus to mutate several times. Not to mention all the international travel from everywhere allowing everyone else's versions a trip to the States.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Meanwhile in Australia, we are going to try and continue with our number one sport, AFL. Sorry rugby fans, AFL has got you beat in terms of numbers.

The PM says we should and the AFL is thinking of introducing a mini draft so teams get 15 extra players on the list in case covid 19 strikes. Time will tell whether this works out nicely for us vs the US and Europeans who have cancelled or suspended entire seasons.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-13 05:51pm Louisiana has become the first state to postpone an election, shifting its primary date:

https://nbcnews.com/politics/2020-elect ... s-n1158166

With no doubt many more to follow. What worries me most, though, is the general election.

I can just see how this goes. Trump, trailing desperately in the polls due to the coronavirus recession and his botched response. Trump, having declared a state of national emergency, orders all polling stations (or those in blue/swing states, which he insists are the most heavily-affected regardless of numbers) closed. Some states have a mail in ballot option which may be used. Others do not. Confusion is everywhere. Either Trump uses the confusion to cast doubt on the results, or he simply "postpones" the election. Most people accept it in the interests of public safety, because its a real crisis and a state of emergency gives the President broad powers. By the time most people realize that the "postponement" is never going to end, they've grown accostomed to it, and any backlash is muted. And thus, the republic dies.

There will probably be a bill to print mail ballots for all voters in the Congress. It will pass the House, and never come to a vote in Moscow Mitch's Senate, where they know exactly what they're doing, know exactly how to use a crisis to pass authoritarian measures in the name of "necessity", and know that coronavirus had handed despotism an even bigger opportunity than 9/11 did- a chance to end the electoral process once and for all.
I wouldn't worry too much about the general election (or, more precisely, in this particular scenario for the general election, I think there are about a thousand valid reasons to be worried about this general election). The election isn't until November, the pandemic will have long since subsided in the US by then. It is just starting to ramp up in the US now, and is likely to peak sometime in April/May, before dying down. While it's possible for a bungled response to result in a secondary epidemic, it's highly unlikely that even a secondary epidemic would endure past mid-summer. Remember, although covid-19 is not strictly speaking an influenza, it behaves in much the same way from an epidemiologically standpoint; just as with influenza it will have seasonal waves, with its peak in the winter and spring while all but disappearing in the summer and fall. Even the Democratic Convention isn't until July. The delayed primaries will likely still happen before that, though maybe they delay the convention until August or September. Other than the social, economic, and political after-effects that the pandemic will assuredly have, it will be gone by election day (of course, expect to start seeing seasonal cases of it starting to arise soon thereafter, this virus is going to become part of our annual flu season).

Trump will start coming under pressure to remove the state of emergency months before the general election takes place, probably at least a month before even the Democratic Convention takes place. Given Trump's history it still seems valid to worry about how he will approach it, but the particular scenario of it being extended specifically as a pretense for rigging the election is not particularly plausible given the timeline.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You raise some fair points, and I very much hope you are correct, although this depends in part on whether it is a seasonal thing like the flu, and whether there's a second surge of cases in the fall- both questions that remain unanswered.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Twitter:
A hospital in Seattle area has sent out a note to staff, shared with me, suspending elective surgery and warning that "our local COVID-19 trajectory is likely to be similar to that of Northern Italy." The hospital is down to a four-day supply of gloves.

Nicholas Kristof
(@NickKristof) March 14, 2020
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Government should be nationalizing industry right now, like they did during the Second World War, only to produce gloves and disinfectant and such, not tanks and planes.

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Thanks everyone for the insight into the talking points of the global research site article. I knew it was a crackpot site but this is the kind of stuff that gets spread around to fuel the counter narrative that China was never at fault but even actively or passively targeted...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-13 09:46pm Government should be nationalizing industry right now, like they did during the Second World War, only to produce gloves and disinfectant and such, not tanks and planes.
What industry? You mean the industry we off-shored to China and other 3rd world nations?
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yet another example of why coronavirus is an ongoing detailed demonstration of why capitalism sucks.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-13 10:06pm Yet another example of why coronavirus is an ongoing detailed demonstration of why capitalism sucks.
Weren't you the one who was cheering for globalization and saying how it was good for everyone?
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/ita ... an-health/
11 March 2020 at 6:40pm
'Healthcare on brink of collapsing': Doctors share stories from inside the Italy coronavirus quarantine

I'm just back from Italy and "enjoying" my first day of self-isolation.

Getting a real picture of how bad the situation is, especially in Lombardy and the north, has been really difficult for TV news because movement is so restricted, access to the overwhelmed hospitals impossible and the danger of infection so great.

But it's really important people understand just how bad things are, not least because it is where we may be headed.

So I will continue to write here about conversations, emails or recordings with those who are still under quarantine in Italy.

Some will be Britons who have stayed on, some Italians, some doctors. I start with a voice recording of two Milanese doctors speaking on WhatsApp about the situation at their hospitals.

The first identifies herself as Martina, but I believe she is Martina Crivellari, an intensive care cardiac anaesthesiologist at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.

She said: "There are a lot of young people in our Intensive Care Units (ICUs) - our youngest is a 38-year-old who had had no comorbidities (underlying health problems).

"A lot of patients need help with breathing but there are not enough ventilators.

"They've told us that starting from now we'll have to choose who to intubate - priority will go to the young or those without comorbidities.

"At Niguarda, the other big hospital in Milan, they are not intubating anyone over 60, which is really, really young."

She added: "This virus is so infectious that the only way to avoid a 'massacre' is to have the least number possible getting infected over the longest possible timescale.

"Right now, if we get 10,000 people in Italy in need of ventilators - when we only have 3,000 in the country - 7,000 people will die.

"Rome right now is like where Milan was 10 days ago. In 10 days there has been an incredible escalation.

"Lombardy, which has the best healthcare in the country, is collapsing, so I don’t dare to think what would happen in less efficient regions.

"We've had no critical cases among children but with children, viruses are much less aggressive - think chickenpox or measles.

"But the very young are crazy carriers.

"A child with no symptoms will go to visit its grandparents, and basically kill them. So it’s essential to avoid contact between them".

The other voice on the recording is a male doctor who we have so far not been able to identify, except that he works at Niguarda Hospital in Milan, one of the biggest in the city.

"We have closed down entire wards, and reduced the number of beds in traditional wards.

"All operations have been cancelled, GP surgeries closed so the that the GPs can come in and be ward doctors.

"The number of ICU beds has been tripled. There was even pressure to take over our Cardiac ICU."

"All the resuscitation bays are full. They’re having to triage, deciding who to intubate and who to let die."

He added: "You have no idea how many young people are here, I mean even 20-year-olds with no underlying conditions, in need of assisted breathing because of horrible pneumonia.

"There aren’t the resources to screen doctors for Covid-19 anymore - they’re just telling them 'stay home if you have symptoms, otherwise come to work'."

He continued: "Non-specialised medical graduates are being brought in.

"At Milan’s Policlinico hospital they are dealing with 50 new pneumonia cases every day".

The World Health Organisation ranks Italy second in the world for health care provision, with only France rated higher. The UK is 18th.

That is across the whole country, but Lombardy is the richest region in Italy and likely to be way ahead of some regions in the south.

And yet even a system as good as this is teetering on the brink.

How would the NHS cope if - or perhaps we should say when - our infection rate is as high as Italy's?

Let’s hope the Italian experience is giving us time to prepare.
This is confirming what Shep posted earlier about Italy's plans.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

LOLSHTO
Man awaiting COVID-19 test results walks away from King County's Kent motel
by KOMO News Staff Friday, March 13th 2020

Surveillance video shows a man who had been awaiting a COVID-19 test walking away from a motel in Kent. (Screen shot via City of Kent)

KENT, Wash. -- A homeless man who was using a King County-owned motel in Kent for isolation while he awaited test results on COVID-19 walked away from the facility Friday morning, against a guard's orders, prompting concern and anger from local officials when they learned about the incident.

The man had accepted a room at the former Econolodge Thursday that is currently intended for use for isolation and quarantine, according to officials. But on Friday morning around 7:30 a.m., the man walked out of the hotel ignoring a security guard's instruction to stay, and headed to a convenience store across Central Avenue, officials said.

There, the man allegedly shoplifted a doughnut then jumped on a northbound Route 153 Metro bus, officials said.

Late Friday, county officials said the man's COVID-19 tests came back negative but the bus was cleaned and disinfected after Metro officials learned about what happened.

Surveillance video shows a man who had been awaiting a COVID-19 test walking away from a motel in Kent. (Via City of Kent)

Upon the discovery, county officials took the bus out of service for cleaning and sanitation. The county did not say if they had found the man.

Kent city officials were furious.

"The fears that we have stated and the concerns we had from the beginning when we knew this facility was going to be put in Kent at that motel have all come true," said Kent Mayor Dana Ralph. "The things we predicted would happen have happened."

There is no law requiring someone to stay at the motel even in voluntary quarantine and the man was legally free to leave, police said.

"The person woke up before we had a substantial opportunity to have a conversation," said Leo Flor, director of the King County Community and Human Services Department. "It's a voluntary system. There is not a public health order that can compel the person to stay where they are."

Surveillance video shows a man who had been awaiting a COVID-19 test walking away from a motel in Kent. (Via City of Kent)

But Ralph expressed frustration that the county had not put up additional fencing around the property as requested to make it more secure and that neither police nor the city were notified by the county or the health district when the man left; only finding out about it from the business owner.

"We realize we have a role to play in this crisis but we have asked repeatedly for actual security, real fencing and safety measures put in place for the general public and the patients at the facility," Ralph said.

Officials say from here on out the motel and another planned temporary housing site in White Center will shift to "help people who do not need supportive social services. Sites for those with behavioral health needs will be identified and staffed appropriately."

The man was just the second person to use the motel, King County officials said. The first person had tested negative and had left.

"I'm angry and I'm frustrated and I feel like our city throughout this process continued to be disrespected," Ralph said.

The county said it plans to start placing more "responsible" patients in the motel, but there is no way to legally force residents to stay at the facility.

Mark Scharf, owns the car dealership next door to the motel.

"I think they have ulterior motives long term, but right now coronavirus patients should not be in a filthy environment like that," he said.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

aerius wrote: 2020-03-13 10:07pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-13 10:06pm Yet another example of why coronavirus is an ongoing detailed demonstration of why capitalism sucks.
Weren't you the one who was cheering for globalization and saying how it was good for everyone?
I'd really like this thread not to get derailed and locked like the last one, but I'm not going to let blatant misrepresentation like this pass.

I support "globalization" in the sense of supporting international communication and cooperation and open borders. I do not support unrestrained "free" trade. I have also made that distinction clear on multiple occassions in the past, just as I have made my views on unfettered capitalism clear many times in the past, as I'm sure you were well aware of when you posted.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

https://theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2 ... ver/607969
When, in January 2016, I wrote that despite being a lifelong Republican who worked in the previous three GOP administrations, I would never vote for Donald Trump, even though his administration would align much more with my policy views than a Hillary Clinton presidency would, a lot of my Republican friends were befuddled. How could I not vote for a person who checked far more of my policy boxes than his opponent?

What I explained then, and what I have said many times since, is that Trump is fundamentally unfit—intellectually, morally, temperamentally, and psychologically—for office. For me, that is the paramount consideration in electing a president, in part because at some point it’s reasonable to expect that a president will face an unexpected crisis—and at that point, the president’s judgment and discernment, his character and leadership ability, will really matter.

David Frum: The worst outcome

“Mr. Trump has no desire to acquaint himself with most issues, let alone master them” is how I put it four years ago. “No major presidential candidate has ever been quite as disdainful of knowledge, as indifferent to facts, as untroubled by his benightedness.” I added this:

Mr. Trump’s virulent combination of ignorance, emotional instability, demagogy, solipsism and vindictiveness would do more than result in a failed presidency; it could very well lead to national catastrophe. The prospect of Donald Trump as commander in chief should send a chill down the spine of every American.

It took until the second half of Trump’s first term, but the crisis has arrived in the form of the coronavirus pandemic, and it’s hard to name a president who has been as overwhelmed by a crisis as the coronavirus has overwhelmed Donald Trump.

To be sure, the president isn’t responsible for either the coronavirus or the disease it causes, COVID-19, and he couldn’t have stopped it from hitting our shores even if he had done everything right. Nor is it the case that the president hasn’t done anything right; in fact, his decision to implement a travel ban on China was prudent. And any narrative that attempts to pin all of the blame on Trump for the coronavirus is simply unfair. The temptation among the president’s critics to use the pandemic to get back at Trump for every bad thing he’s done should be resisted, and schadenfreude is never a good look.

That said, the president and his administration are responsible for grave, costly errors, most especially the epic manufacturing failures in diagnostic testing, the decision to test too few people, the delay in expanding testing to labs outside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and problems in the supply chain. These mistakes have left us blind and badly behind the curve, and, for a few crucial weeks, they created a false sense of security. What we now know is that the coronavirus silently spread for several weeks, without us being aware of it and while we were doing nothing to stop it. Containment and mitigation efforts could have significantly slowed its spread at an early, critical point, but we frittered away that opportunity.

“They’ve simply lost time they can’t make up. You can’t get back six weeks of blindness,” Jeremy Konyndyk, who helped oversee the international response to Ebola during the Obama administration and is a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, told The Washington Post. “To the extent that there’s someone to blame here, the blame is on poor, chaotic management from the White House and failure to acknowledge the big picture.”

Ben Rhodes: How Trump designed his White House to fail

Earlier this week, Anthony Fauci, the widely respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases whose reputation for honesty and integrity have been only enhanced during this crisis, admitted in congressional testimony that the United States is still not providing adequate testing for the coronavirus. “It is failing. Let’s admit it.” He added, “The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. I think it should be, but we’re not."

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable. The Trump administration dismantled the National Security Council’s global-health office, whose purpose was to address global pandemics; we’re now paying the price for that. “We worked very well with that office,” Fauci told Congress. “It would be nice if the office was still there.” We may face a shortage of ventilators and medical supplies, and hospitals may soon be overwhelmed, certainly if the number of coronavirus cases increases at a rate anything like that in countries such as Italy. (This would cause not only needless coronavirus-related deaths, but deaths from those suffering from other ailments who won’t have ready access to hospital care.)

Yascha Mounk: The extraordinary decisions facing Italian doctors

Some of these mistakes are less serious and more understandable than others. One has to take into account that in government, when people are forced to make important decisions based on incomplete information in a compressed period of time, things go wrong.

Yet in some respects, the avalanche of false information from the president has been most alarming of all. It’s been one rock slide after another, the likes of which we have never seen. Day after day after day he brazenly denied reality, in an effort to blunt the economic and political harm he faced. But Trump is in the process of discovering that he can’t spin or tweet his way out of a pandemic. There is no one who can do to the coronavirus what Attorney General William Barr did to the Mueller report: lie about it and get away with it.

The president’s misinformation and mendacity about the coronavirus are head-snapping. He claimed that it was contained in America when it was actually spreading. He claimed that we had “shut it down” when we had not. He claimed that testing was available when it wasn’t. He claimed that the coronavirus will one day disappear “like a miracle”; it won’t. He claimed that a vaccine would be available in months; Fauci says it will not be available for a year or more.

Trump falsely blamed the Obama administration for impeding coronavirus testing. He stated that the coronavirus first hit the United States later than it actually did. (He said that it was three weeks prior to the point at which he spoke; the actual figure was twice that.) The president claimed that the number of cases in Italy was getting “much better” when it was getting much worse. And in one of the more stunning statements an American president has ever made, Trump admitted that his preference was to keep a cruise ship off the California coast rather than allowing it to dock, because he wanted to keep the number of reported cases of the coronavirus artificially low.

“I like the numbers,” Trump said. “I would rather have the numbers stay where they are. But if they want to take them off, they’ll take them off. But if that happens, all of a sudden your 240 [cases] is obviously going to be a much higher number, and probably the 11 [deaths] will be a higher number too.” (Cooler heads prevailed, and over the president’s objections, the Grand Princess was allowed to dock at the Port of Oakland.)

On and on it goes.

To make matters worse, the president delivered an Oval Office address that was meant to reassure the nation and the markets but instead shook both. The president’s delivery was awkward and stilted; worse, at several points, the president, who decided to ad-lib the teleprompter speech, misstated his administration’s own policies, which the administration had to correct. Stock futures plunged even as the president was still delivering his speech. In his address, the president called for Americans to “unify together as one nation and one family,” despite having referred to Washington Governor Jay Inslee as a “snake” days before the speech and attacking Democrats the morning after it. As The Washington Post’s Dan Balz put it, “Almost everything that could have gone wrong with the speech did go wrong.”

Taken together, this is a massive failure in leadership that stems from a massive defect in character. Trump is such a habitual liar that he is incapable of being honest, even when being honest would serve his interests. He is so impulsive, shortsighted, and undisciplined that he is unable to plan or even think beyond the moment. He is such a divisive and polarizing figure that he long ago lost the ability to unite the nation under any circumstances and for any cause. And he is so narcissistic and unreflective that he is completely incapable of learning from his mistakes. The president’s disordered personality makes him as ill-equipped to deal with a crisis as any president has ever been. With few exceptions, what Trump has said is not just useless; it is downright injurious.

The nation is recognizing this, treating him as a bystander “as school superintendents, sports commissioners, college presidents, governors and business owners across the country take it upon themselves to shut down much of American life without clear guidance from the president,” in the words of Peter Baker and Maggie Haberman of The New York Times.

Donald Trump is shrinking before our eyes.

The coronavirus is quite likely to be the Trump presidency’s inflection point, when everything changed, when the bluster and ignorance and shallowness of America’s 45th president became undeniable, an empirical reality, as indisputable as the laws of science or a mathematical equation.

It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain. The president, enraged for having been unmasked, will become more desperate, more embittered, more unhinged. He knows nothing will be the same. His administration may stagger on, but it will be only a hollow shell. The Trump presidency is over.
I'm not going to declare Trump finished yet, both because it seems that the Democrats are going to pick a man with dementia to run against him, and because he's shown more than once that he has the Devil's own luck, but if anything short of his own inevitable mortality can finish him, it'll be this.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Europe is now the global epicenter, not China:

https://bbc.com/news/world-europe-51876784#
Europe is now the "epicentre" of the global coronavirus pandemic, the head of the World Health Organization says.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to use aggressive measures, community mobilisation and social distancing to save lives.

"Do not just let this fire burn," he said.

His comments came as several European countries reported steep rises in infections and deaths. Italy has recorded its highest daily toll yet.

There were 250 deaths recorded over the past 24 hours, taking the total to 1,266, with 17,660 infections overall.

Spain, the worst-affected European country after Italy, reported a 50% jump in fatalities to 120 on Friday. Infections increased to 4,231.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez says a state of alert will come into effect there on Saturday for two weeks.

Controls are also being introduced at an increasing number of borders in Europe, in response to rapid spread of the virus.

Why is Europe the 'epicentre'?
More than 132,500 people have been diagnosed with Covid-19 in 123 countries around the world, according to the WHO.

The total number of deaths has reached about 5,000 - a figure Dr Tedros described as "a tragic milestone".

"Europe has now become the epicentre of the pandemic, with more reported cases and deaths than the rest of the world combined, apart from China," he said.

"More cases are now being reported every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic."

Media captionEurope now the "epicentre", says WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
As well as the increases in Spain and Italy, France has now confirmed 2,876 cases and 79 deaths, up from a total of 61 deaths on Thursday.

Germany has seen 3,062 cases and five deaths. There have been 798 confirmed infections in the UK and 11 deaths.

What are European countries doing about it?
Announcing the state of alert in Spain, Mr Sanchez said the government would "mobilise all the resources of state to better protect the health of all of its citizens".

It will be able to limit movement, order evacuations, prohibit access to certain places and intervene in industry for up to 15 days.

"Victory depends on every single one of us," Mr Sanchez said. "Heroism is also about washing your hands and staying at home."

All but "essential travel" to parts of Spain should be avoided, says the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Italy has imposed a nationwide lockdown.

Meanwhile, at least 10 other countries in Europe are enforcing border closures, including:

Denmark: Closes borders to foreign visitors from Saturday
Czech Republic: Bans all foreigners from entering the country, except those with residence permits. Bans most of its own nationals from leaving
Slovakia: Closes borders to all foreigners except those with a residence permit.
Austria: Closes three land border crossings with Italy to all foreigners, except those with a medical certificate issued within four days. No restriction on Austrian nationals
Ukraine: Closes border crossings to foreigners (except diplomats) for two weeks
Hungary: Closes land borders with Austria and Slovenia
Poland: From Sunday will close borders to foreign visitors
Belgium, France, Switzerland and parts of Germany are among the latest countries to close schools.

There are also widespread curbs on large gatherings and measures to close theatres, restaurants and bars.

Germany's Bundesliga, the only one of the big five European football leagues still being played, is to suspend games in the top two divisions from Tuesday.

Paris's Louvre - the largest art museum in the world - announced it would close from Friday, as will the Eiffel Tower.

Why Europe could be worse off than China
The number of cases of coronavirus reported every day in Europe has surpassed China at its peak.

But Europe is in a worse position.

The overwhelming majority of China's cases were in one place, Hubei province and those were largely concentrated in one city, Wuhan.

It was dealt with by an authoritarian government that imposed the biggest quarantine in human history.

While there are hotspots in Europe, this is an outbreak across a continent and different countries are adopting very different strategies for dealing with coronavirus.

All these figures are based on cases that have been detected, but scientists fear there could be large outbreaks going on unnoticed in countries that don't have the tools to spot them.

What are the developments elsewhere?
US President Donald Trump has declared a national emergency, which allows the federal government to access up to $50bn (£40bn) in funds.

As the president spoke, the three main US indexes jumped more than 9%.

Later on Friday, President Trump said he did not need to self-isolate, despite meeting at least one person who had the coronavirus.

His travel ban on 26 European countries, which was met with anger and confusion this week, will go into effect at midnight EDT (0400 GMT).

I don't need to self-isolate, says Trump
Pakistan is shutting all of its land borders and limiting international flights for 15 days, its foreign minister says.

In Canada, MPs have voted to suspend parliament and health officials have advised against non-essential foreign travel.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau began a 14-day self-isolation period on Friday after his wife tested positive.

Can we answer your question on the coronavirus?
Type your question here

Also on Friday, Australia's Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton was admitted to hospital after testing positive. He recently travelled to Washington and met President Trump's daughter, Ivanka

Meanwhile, Iran announced another 85 deaths, the country's highest toll in a 24-hour period, bringing the number of dead there to 514. The true figure is feared to be much higher.

The first cases were recorded in East Africa, in Kenya, Ethiopia and Sudan, which has had the region's first death.
What happened in Italy that its gotten so bad there? Not only does it have a very high number of cases, but the fatality rate in Italy seems much higher than the global average, somewhere between five and ten percent of cases. Though doubtless at least some of that death toll is simply due to their system being overloaded by the number of cases.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Why the US might be extra-special-fucked:

https://bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51840233
As the coronavirus spreads across the US, tens of millions of Americans may not seek medical help either because they are uninsured or undocumented. That puts everyone in society at greater risk.

Sebastian shows me his hands. His skin is dry and cracked through over washing.

"I've always been obsessed with washing my hands because growing up I knew if I got sick I wouldn't be able to see a doctor," he tells me.

Sebastian has lived in the US since he was three years old, after having been brought here from Mexico by his parents. He is one of the estimated 11 million people in the country who are "undocumented".

No US citizenship means no US healthcare.

Even the language of Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act makes it very clear that undocumented immigrants are excluded.

"I never went to a doctor, if I got sick my mom would always try to treat it at home, but I remember getting very sick sometimes and missing a lot of school," says Sebastian.

Sebastian says undocumented immigrants like him are concerned about asking the authorities for help
The day we meet is the day the first coronavirus case has been confirmed in his area, but Sebastian says that while his family have seen all the news about the virus, their reality remains the same.

"Being undocumented it's hard to get medical attention. There's the aspect of presenting yourself to the legal system at medical facilities and that runs the risk of deportation," he says.

"My family may not be criminals, but they sure are undocumented and seeing a doctor scares them."

For everyone in the US, whether they are undocumented or not, there is also the huge expense involved in even just seeing a doctor.

More than 27 million people in America have no medical insurance at all, a number that has been growing dramatically during the Trump presidency.

A consultation with a doctor for someone without insurance costs hundreds of dollars.

But there are tens of millions more who are classed as being "underinsured" - having basic insurance that often only covers a fraction of the cost of any check ups or treatment.

"During the flu season we are getting sick a lot, but taking my children to see their paediatrician costs $100 each visit just for a check," says Lisa Rubio, 28, who has basic health insurance through her employer.

"I started with a cough and a sore throat a week ago, but if the doctor tells me they can't prescribe anything, that it's just a virus, I have to decide whether it's worth it to take away money from my bills and my children's other needs."

Lisa Rubio says she has avoided treatment before because of her limited insurance
Last year, being underinsured contributed to a devastating episode for Lisa.

"I got sick. I felt pain coming in my chest. But for me to go see a doctor even though I am insured, I couldn't afford it so I tried to ignore the pain."

"Two weeks later, in the middle of the night, my lung just collapsed completely. They had to do intensive care but said if I had caught it sooner, it would have been better," she says.

Lisa suffers these problems even though she herself is an administrator in a hospital in Tucson.

And while public health workers are one of the groups with the highest risk of infection, they also fall foul of another systemic issue in the US under the spotlight during this crisis; the fact that there is no requirement for American employers to offer paid sick leave.

"I'm really worried for my patients that can't take time off work to come and get care and who will go to work even when they are sick because they have no other way to pay for their food and utilities. Coronavirus does not change that," says Dr Ravi Gravois Shah.

Dr Shah is the director of a mobile health clinic that is run on charitable donations. Driving around Tucson, the clinic treats around fifty patients a week who cannot normally access any medical care.

But Dr Shah admits that that is only a drop in the vast ocean of need in the community.

"All the time we come across patients who are going through pregnancy without seeking care, or people who for months and years can't get care, diagnosis and treatment for their pain or chronic disease," he says.

Dr Shah helps uninsured patients from a mobile treatment centre
Dr Shah says that even before the coronavirus, the huge number of patients going undiagnosed with HIV or other sexually transmitted infections was just one example of the public health crises being exacerbated because so many have no access to healthcare.

"I have not seen any evidence that anything is going to be different with the coronavirus," he says, unconvinced by the promises from Washington.

"For decades, we've been okay as a society knowing that there are so many in our community who are uninsured, underinsured, undocumented and unable to take sick leave," he says.

"These individuals without access to care are going to get sicker, are going to spread the disease more frequently because they're not getting care or isolating, or getting diagnosed and treated. And we are going to pay the public health price because of what our society is okay with."

As it sweeps across nations, the coronavirus is exposing systemic flaws. In China, it was freedom of information; here in the US it is the massive disparities in the way people are treated depending on their economic circumstances and their immigration status.

The coronavirus of course does not discriminate on those grounds and having large sections of society being unable to see a doctor is suddenly in focus as not just being bad for the individuals themselves, but for the country a whole.
Hopefully, one good thing that will come out of this is finally proving beyond any doubt just how hopelessly dysfunctional American capitalism is.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-14 12:03am Why the US might be extra-special-fucked:

(snippity snip) No US citizenship means no US healthcare. (snippity snip)
lolwat I stopped reading there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency ... _Labor_Act

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

BREAKING: @DepSecDef just announced Pentagon is banning all DOMESTIC travel for everyone affiliated with the Department of Defense.

Nick Schifrin Nick Schifrin (@nickschifrin) March 14, 2020

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-03-14 12:10am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-14 12:03am Why the US might be extra-special-fucked:

(snippity snip) No US citizenship means no US healthcare. (snippity snip)
lolwat I stopped reading there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency ... _Labor_Act
They may have to give you (emergency) treatment- but what happens when the bill hits and you have no insurance?

An undocumented immigrant (as in this case) may also risk deportation by going in for care, as the article notes.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Hopefully, one good thing that will come out of this is finally proving beyond any doubt just how hopelessly dysfunctional American capitalism is.
I wrote about that in the original thread.
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 0#p4096274

The US system guarantees that you'll get a horse cock rammed into every orifice at the same time.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Italy now has more active cases than China. Where active cases are patients that haven't recovered or died. As a percentage of their population, the amount of covid 19 cases reported are higher in some European countries than China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN210362

Italy may have only one quarter of the ventilators needed, so yeah, high fatality rates.
Europe is now scrambling to make ventilators.

https://www.ft.com/content/5a2ffc78-655 ... 4680ea68b5

Financial Times is reporting China has donated 40 ventilators to Italy. Remember earlier Italy was going to buy 1000 from China. Still not enough for Europe's needs but it will help.

----------------------
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 41031.html
China sends essential coronavirus supplies to Italy
China steps in to help Italy in its time of need as wealthy businessman Jack Ma offers to donate supplies to the US.

9 hours ago
A Chinese team of experts pose for a photograph with head of the Italian Red Cross Francesco Rocca after arriving at Rome's Fiumicino airport with a consignment of medical supplies [Aeroporti di Roma (AdR)/Handout via Reuters]
A Chinese team of experts pose for a photograph with head of the Italian Red Cross Francesco Rocca after arriving at Rome's Fiumicino airport with a consignment of medical supplies [Aeroporti di Roma (AdR)/Handout via Reuters]
MORE ON CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
Central American countries ramp up measures to fight coronavirus
today
Cruise industry in choppy seas as coronavirus fears swell
today
Non-profits brace for the worst as wealthy donors lose billions
today
Will the coronavirus pandemic cause a global recession?
today
A planeload of medical supplies, including masks and respirators from China, has arrived in Italy from China to help the European country deal with its growing coronavirus crisis.

The coronavirus outbreak began in China late last year, but has since swept the globe.

Italy is now the worst-affected nation in the world after China, since the contagion came to light there on February 21.

More:
Timeline: How the new coronavirus spread
Coronavirus: Which countries have confirmed cases?
Coronavirus: All you need to know about symptoms and risks
The outbreak risks overwhelming Italian hospitals, and some key supplies are running low.

In contrast to China, Italy's partners in the European Union earlier this month refused Rome's requests for help with medical supplies as they looked to stockpile face masks and other equipment to help their own citizens.

Hua Chunying 华春莹

@SpokespersonCHN
A batch of medical supplies have arrived in Belgium; 1.8 million masks and 100,000 reagents are on the way. The supplies will then be delivered to Italy & Spain and to the frontline.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter
11:03 PM - Mar 11, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
1,651 people are talking about this
A team of nine Chinese medical staff arrived late on Thursday with some 30 tonnes of equipment on a flight organised by the Red Cross Society of China.

"In this moment of great stress, of great difficulty, we are relieved to have this arrival of supplies. It is true that it will help only temporarily, but it is still important," said the head of the Italian Red Cross, Francesco Rocca.

"We have a desperate need for these masks right now. We need respirators that the Red Cross will donate to the government. This is for sure a really important donation for our country," Rocca said.

In a separate development, Chinese businessman Jack Ma, who is the founder of the Alibaba Group and among the world's richest people, offered to donate 500,000 coronavirus testing kits and one million masks to the United States, which on Friday declared a national emergency over the outbreak.

In a statement on Twitter, Jack Ma said: "Drawing from my own country's experience, speedy and accurate testing and adequate protective equipment for medical professionals are most effective in preventing the spread of the virus."

"We hope that our donation can help Americans fight against the pandemic!"

Over the past weeks, Ma's organisations have helped provide similar supplies to virus-hit countries such as Japan, South Korea, Italy, Iran and Spain.

"The pandemic we face today can no longer be resolved by any individual country," Ma said. "We can't beat this virus unless we eliminate boundaries to resources and share our know-how and hard-earned lessons."

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Every bit helps.