Buckingham Palace warns Harry and Meghan stepping back from life as senior royals 'will be complicated'.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Buckingham Palace warns Harry and Meghan stepping back from life as senior royals 'will be complicated'.

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Link.
Buckingham Palace has warned Harry and Meghan that their decision to "step back" from the royal family will be "complicated" and talks are still at an early stage.

It is understood that the Queen and the Prince of Wales were not aware of the content of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's bombshell personal statement before it was issued.

The couple's decision was announced on Wednesday evening when they said they will work to become financially independent while continuing to "fully support" the Queen and their patronages.

They added they will split their time between both the UK and North America, and that their decision comes after "many months of reflection and internal discussions".

But a spokesperson for the Palace said: "Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage.

"We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through."

ITV News Royal Editor Chris Ship reports that the contents of Harry and Meghan's statement was not known in advance by other members of the Royal Family, and that it had only been known as an "idea" for a few days.

He adds that the statement was issued "without the blessing of The Queen".
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Buckingham Palace warns Harry and Meghan stepping back from life as senior royals 'will be complicated'.

Post by Broomstick »

Why do Harry and Meghan need to be "senior royals"? Currently Harry is, what (Elizabeth-Charles-William-George-Charlotte...) sixth in line for the throne? So they don't need him for that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Buckingham Palace warns Harry and Meghan stepping back from life as senior royals 'will be complicated'.

Post by Elheru Aran »

So... what, are they like, abdicating? Or trying to become private citizens?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think the real origin of this is the way the British bottom-feeding tabloids have been hounding Meghan.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So I guess someone's getting a job.

The best take on this I've seen thus far is "American actress deprograms member of hereditary cult."
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

By stepping away from duties, and 'crown income', they fall under normal rules for private citizens. There is currently a lawsuit on, Harry + Meghan vs the tabloids, where the tabloids are like 'you're public figures on public income without doing a job, and have no privacy as you are not private citizens. Therefore you are fair game'.

That means publishing their photos or personal lives could be considered an invasion of privacy/stalking.

Odds are, we will see....

Harry and Meghan move to the United States or Canada.
Meghan will return to acting
Harry, if in Canada, will get a government job. Probably something attached to our military, or in public relations.
If in the United States, no idea. Mind you, I find the idea that by doing this, Meghan effectively landied herself an honestt prince to be a stay-at-home-dad/boy toy for herself is hilarious.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Piers Morgan is complaining that they are "spoiled brats." Let me get this right. They will forego public funds in exchange for not doing public duties. Sounds fair. But I guess Piers Morgan considers one spoiled brats for not wanting to be available for British media. LOL.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, yes, because if Piers Morgan doesn't have access how is HE supposed to make a living? Get a "real job"? Oh heavens! ::: clutches pearls :::

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Broomstick wrote: 2020-01-10 04:43am Well, yes, because if Piers Morgan doesn't have access how is HE supposed to make a living? Get a "real job"? Oh heavens! ::: clutches pearls :::
Hack phones obviously. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Well Meghan has reportedly already returned to Canada, for now Harry has remained behind.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Was there any truth to the rumors that Meghan and the Queen did not get along?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2020-01-10 02:08pm Well Meghan has reportedly already returned to Canada, for now Harry has remained behind.
Apparently they were staying in Vancouver when they had their baby; I'm assuming that's the area they'll be in. Meghan was something of an actress before she met Harry, so I imagine she's got connections there in the film industry (just guessing here, who knows).

I'm still a little uncertain about what's happening here. Are they basically quitting the royal family? Or is it more of a "we're tired of this shit, we're gonna go take a really long break and go hang out over there and do our own thing, call us never" kind of deal where they aren't outright quitting... but they're taking a long step back?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

More like the second I believe. They are still royals, its not like Harry is abdicating his part in the line to the throne. However they would like to do away with their public duties from what I understand. This means they willingly choose not to receive part of the royal stipend. However Prince Charles is still giving Harry some of his personal money.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, I think even Friend of Epstein Prince Andrew wound up with a decent sum of money even though he was fired. So they should be okay financially.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sounds like the actual people in the sham of the Royals are tired of being Royals. There is no real power, the one person with any real power is like 100 years old and everyone under her has nothing except for her. Her son was crushed in public, his wife was a darling who died and crushed the husband in public life. The children were raised in this mess. Who blames them for not wanting to be in this circus anymore...

Sure the money, but marry a decent chick with some money and you can live in some semblance of comfort you're used to. I'd quit too.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-01-10 03:22am Piers Morgan is complaining that they are "spoiled brats." Let me get this right. They will forego public funds in exchange for not doing public duties. Sounds fair. But I guess Piers Morgan considers one spoiled brats for not wanting to be available for British media. LOL.
Their entire life is built in Harry’s lifetime of sucking on the public tewt. When they say “private life” what they really mean is cashing in on Harry’s fame that was bought and paid for by the UK taxpayer. He, and now his wife, are inseparable from his official persona and for good or ill everything he will do is somehow wrapped up in it.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

He was a kid brought up in this crap and wants out. You're really going to rake him over the coals on this?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

One of the UK teachers in my office was complaining this week about how they had 'no right' to do this after all they've gotten from 'the taxpayers.' So exactly how early would the guy need to have opted out to be entitled to walk away from being royalty? 18? Early teens? Elementary school? Or are we supposed to accept that the United Kingdom literally owns the queen's close relatives and that they aren't allowed to decide otherwise?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Patroklos wrote: 2020-01-10 11:27pm
mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-01-10 03:22am Piers Morgan is complaining that they are "spoiled brats." Let me get this right. They will forego public funds in exchange for not doing public duties. Sounds fair. But I guess Piers Morgan considers one spoiled brats for not wanting to be available for British media. LOL.
Their entire life is built in Harry’s lifetime of sucking on the public tewt. When they say “private life” what they really mean is cashing in on Harry’s fame that was bought and paid for by the UK taxpayer. He, and now his wife, are inseparable from his official persona and for good or ill everything he will do is somehow wrapped up in it.
Lets say that's the case. How is this different from a former politician going on speeches and cashing in on their fame bought by the taxpayer? I mean, how many people would want the Clintons giving speeches if they were just lawyers and not someone who held public office.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think how Meghan has been treated is no small part in this. The British tabloid press apparently makes the US version look downright polite, civilized, and truthful and that's saying something. Harry blames the press for making his mother miserable and eventually leading to her death. He's said that for years and I have no reason to doubt his words. Now they're being savage towards his wife, and he has a kid to worry about. My take is that while he's put up with this for a lifetime (because he had no choice) he is absolutely sincere in wanting to protect his family from this. I'm guessing (because I have no way to know) that he's been complaining about Meghan's treatment in the press and the rest of the family either doesn't share his concerns or think he's over-reacting or something and this is his way of doing something about the problem because the rest of the family (including grandma) isn't taking the problem as seriously as he is.

As for the ones whining about "tax-payer expense" - as already noted, Harry had no choice in this. He was born into this family and has been "taxpayer supported" from birth. As already asked, how early was he supposed to opt-out? He served 8 years in the military including time in an actual war-zone when he could have easily done his service somewhere safer, and has in recent years been performing "royal duties" so it seems to me that he's given something back to all those tax-payers.

The British people are not entitled to force him to perform royal duties for the rest of his life. Even grandma doesn't have to do that, although she has chosen to continue well past the age most people retire. That said, neither are taxpayers required to support him.... but from what's been reported they aren't really doing that now. Other than a house that comes as a perk of being a royal. Well, OK, maybe he doesn't get to keep that - and quit the whining about the expense of renovations, if the Sussex's aren't using it someone else will. He should receive compensation for any "royal duties" he may perform in the future but otherwise he and his wife have sufficient funds to support themselves.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The irony is, if the British government had the fucking balls to pass a law stating to the effect of 'You can't publish stories or take photographs of/about the royal family (as in anyone descended from Queen Elizabeths parents, and their significant others), without the consent of both the person/people in question, and the Queen', and enforced it on the tabloids, like they bloody well should, there would be no problem.

Now, as for Harry's decision; I don't see why this has to be complicated?
Royal Duties are a job. He quit. Stop paying him.

He still wants to support his Grandmother? Good for him, let him. (And maybe pay for airfare if he has to come back for something). No different then an ex-employee being invited to a function supporting a co-worker.

He still wants to support charities? Good for him, let him.
What he does in his free time is no ones business.

The only way this should be complicated is in the same way a divorce is. What actually belongs to Harry, and what belongs to the Crown?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2020-01-11 10:58pm The irony is, if the British government had the fucking balls to pass a law stating to the effect of 'You can't publish stories or take photographs of/about the royal family (as in anyone descended from Queen Elizabeths parents, and their significant others), without the consent of both the person/people in question, and the Queen', and enforced it on the tabloids, like they bloody well should, there would be no problem.
Uhhhhhh.

Well, yes I suppose that would solve that particular problem, but it does seem like a crazy extreme solution. Am I missing something here?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solauren wrote: 2020-01-11 10:58pm The irony is, if the British government had the fucking balls to pass a law stating to the effect of 'You can't publish stories or take photographs of/about the royal family (as in anyone descended from Queen Elizabeths parents, and their significant others), without the consent of both the person/people in question, and the Queen', and enforced it on the tabloids, like they bloody well should, there would be no problem.
That would have come in handy for Prince Andrew recently.

- George Carlin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Though that would leave us with no appropriate route of public investigation into things like Prince Andrew being a big old paedophile. Not that the gutter press were particularly interested in that anyway.

The royal family aren't and shouldn't be above scrutiny.

It's more important to have a root and branch reform of the nature and character of press reporting as a whole in the UK.
Nicholas
Youngling

Post by Nicholas »

Solauren wrote: 2020-01-11 10:58pm
Now, as for Harry's decision; I don't see why this has to be complicated?
Royal Duties are a job. He quit. Stop paying him.

He still wants to support his Grandmother? Good for him, let him. (And maybe pay for airfare if he has to come back for something). No different then an ex-employee being invited to a function supporting a co-worker.

He still wants to support charities? Good for him, let him.
What he does in his free time is no ones business.

The only way this should be complicated is in the same way a divorce is. What actually belongs to Harry, and what belongs to the Crown?
Royalty is a job in the same way that Family is a contract. It isn't, the metaphor is extraordinarily inaccurate and loses most everything important about the relationships described. Still since the law is our society's only way to resolve conflicts when talking to one another fails and law can only deal with the aspects of those relationships similar to jobs and contracts when the relationships explode that is the metaphor the courts force on the people involved.

To put this another way, the property isn't complicated. What is complicated is that Harry has been a symbol of England for all his life. He would like to stop being a symbol of England (which he hopes will reduce press attention on his family) without:

1) Being seen as betraying England and thus being hated by most of the population of England.
2) Doing serious damage to the House of Windsor.
3) Officially and legally renouncing his nation and extended family.
4) Moving away and never ever coming back.

Yes, I think doing that is going to be complicated and difficult since so many people have so much emotional energy invested in England and/or the monarchy.

Nicholas