Spider-Man: Far From Home (spoilers within)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Spider-Man: Far From Home (spoilers within)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I did search for a thread about this film, but didn't find one. I think it's fair to say that if you're familiar with the comics, you'd spot the Big Bad the moment he appeared, especially when the supposed enemy is defeated halfway through the film.

I can't decide if Peter was stupid or merely naiive to hand the glasses over to a guy he literlly just met a day ago.

Lots of tie-ins to the comics and call-backs to the other MCU films, such as reference to Earth-616. Given that the bad guys were revealed to be ex-Stark employees I'm surprised they didn't include some references to the events of Iron Man 2 since Vanko certainly was one of many who had an axe to grind when it came to Tony Stark. Even In Death I'm The Hero, indeed.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (spoilers within)

Post by Tribble »

Ya, it’s not hard to figure out the whole plot when you know who the main villain is right from the start. I still enjoyed it though.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Even with that BIG FUCKING CLUE... how was it?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It was a good film, if you already knew that Mysterio was a supervillain it was obvious he would turn out of be the bad guy, what did come as a surprise was the mid-credits scene where modified footage released by one of Mysterio's accomplices who escaped (this guy), and used his line "Execute them all" out of context, complete with the presence of JJJ (played by the same actor) who relishes the chance to vilify Spider-Man again, and REVEALS HIS IDENTITY. So unless that was actually another holo-projection, his future is going to get very interesting.

I've found that if you to say to someone who hasn't seen the film with an IQ of 143 that "Peter Parker is Spider-Man", they will immediately infer what you're really saying! :lol:
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I kind of like how they set J. Jonah Jameson up as an Alex Jones (Inforwar) type.

And me and the wife cannot get over the Peter Tingle thing.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Knife wrote: 2019-07-07 01:50am I kind of like how they set J. Jonah Jameson up as an Alex Jones (Inforwar) type.

I don't think poor Jameson deserves that comparison. That's like making him the writer of Mein Kampf fanfiction.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Don't you think EDITH might have been useful during Endgame in the fight with Thanos's army? I guess Tony just forgot about it.

Not sure when he bequeathed the use of it to Peter either. Peter's been dead for the last 5 years and Tony only had about an hour or so between him being resurrected and Tony himself dying. Is he supposed to have set it all up before Infinity War and left it lying around for all that time? Or was the whole thing a plot by Nick Fury and Tony never passed on the system (or maybe never even built it?).

Still overall it was a fun film, as has been said above anyone who known Spiderman's rogues gallery is going to know what the plot twist was it was interesting that Mysterio had a whole crew supporting him though.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I found it interesting that Stark built yet another automated system that was turned against mankind. While I have loved the movies, it's probably good Stark died and can't build any more robots.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-07 01:51am
Knife wrote: 2019-07-07 01:50am I kind of like how they set J. Jonah Jameson up as an Alex Jones (Inforwar) type.

I don't think poor Jameson deserves that comparison. That's like making him the writer of Mein Kampf fanfiction.
I liked it, because Jameson has that kind of personality. JK Simmons was able to step back into the role completely seamlessly. He didn't change how he played JJJ, and it still worked. IIRC, the original character was based on Rupert Murdoch, so it's not that big of a jump.

Personally, it's one of the MCU movies that I put in my top tier. Winter Soldier is still my personal favorite, but I'd put this in my top 5. I thought the humor generally landed, and the action was pretty clean and easy to follow when it needed to be, and confusing and disorienting when it needed to be. As others have said, the main villain is not a surprise for anyone who has even a passing familiarity with the comics, but I like how they managed to slip in something surprising. I wish the other ex-employees also got their own flashbacks to tie them into previous Iron Man movies, though.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-07-08 08:33am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-07 01:51am

I liked it, because Jameson has that kind of personality. JK Simmons was able to step back into the role completely seamlessly. He didn't change how he played JJJ, and it still worked. IIRC, the original character was based on Rupert Murdoch, so it's not that big of a jump.
Huh, didn't know he was based on Murdoch.

Yeah, if the jackboot fits, it fits.
Personally, it's one of the MCU movies that I put in my top tier. Winter Soldier is still my personal favorite, but I'd put this in my top 5. I thought the humor generally landed, and the action was pretty clean and easy to follow when it needed to be, and confusing and disorienting when it needed to be. As others have said, the main villain is not a surprise for anyone who has even a passing familiarity with the comics, but I like how they managed to slip in something surprising. I wish the other ex-employees got their own flashback to tie them into previous Iron Man movies, though.
Hmm. I was leaning toward not seeing this one, but I might reconsider now.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-08 08:35amHmm. I was leaning toward not seeing this one, but I might reconsider now.
It's worth considering at least, though for full disclosure I tend to prefer the Marvel movies that, rather than use the vanilla superhero plot, tend to take other movie genres and adapt them into superhero movies. For instance, Winter Soldier is the conspiracy spy thriller with superheroes, and Ant-Man is the heist comedy with superheroes. Far From Home is, essentially, a high school romantic comedy with superheroes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Saw it yesterday with my OtherBrother, and we had a great time. Then we saw the EndCredit scene, and both of us went "THAT EXPLAINS IT!"

When the Trailer came out, and we saw Mysterio, we both theorized that Fury was gonna be the Chameleon, who has worked with Mysterio in the comics before. Chameleon has always been depicted as a scaly green-skinned shapeshifter. Having him pretend to be Fury as Mysterio's partner made perfect sense.

Love how Far From Home inverted it. Mysterio did have Partners, and there was a Green Scaly Shapeshifter, just not how our Theory imagined it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

HOLY FUCK!
Numan Acar portrays Dmitri Smerdyakov in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) as an associate of Nick Fury.
From Wikipedia: Dmitri Smerdyakov (AKA The Chameleon).

And I was wrong, what I thought was greenskin was a mask he always wore. Which ruins my fun theory that The Chameleon was related to the Skrull.

Interestingly, the Skrull appeared in FF #3 (1961) before the Chameleon appears in The Amazing Spiderman #1 (1963)

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-07-08 06:36pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-08 08:35amHmm. I was leaning toward not seeing this one, but I might reconsider now.
It's worth considering at least, though for full disclosure I tend to prefer the Marvel movies that, rather than use the vanilla superhero plot, tend to take other movie genres and adapt them into superhero movies. For instance, Winter Soldier is the conspiracy spy thriller with superheroes, and Ant-Man is the heist comedy with superheroes. Far From Home is, essentially, a high school romantic comedy with superheroes.
My favorites are Iron Man III, Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Soldier, and Infinity War. Those are the ones I feel most stretched the limits of (and occassionally outright broke) the usual Marvel formula, and just had the most life to them. To be honest, I don't rate any of the others above the high end of mediocre, overall.

(Disclaimer: I have not seen Hulk, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, or Spiderman II yet).

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Ragnarok was the only Thor film I liked, and tweeked the character into something worth while.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Actually, the orbital weapons satelites not being used during Endgame does make some sense.

Consider how fucking fast Thanos's attack happened. I mean, the Avengers base exploded as the opening. Then Thanos takes the field personally.
During the fight, Tony was to busy not getting killed to activate it. And that's without considering the possibility of jamming. (Come on, that's military tactics 101).

Compare it to real life. Even with bluetooth, how likely are you to be able to call the police in, giving them clear instructions, while some massive guy is wailing on you.

Then you add in all the reinforcements that arrived, that you'd have no way to Friend or Foe identify easy, and well, a drone strike was probably a bad idea.

It's also possible EDITHS control systems were knocked out when the base itself was it.

Just observations on that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-09 11:01pm Actually, the orbital weapons satelites not being used during Endgame does make some sense.

Consider how fucking fast Thanos's attack happened. I mean, the Avengers base exploded as the opening. Then Thanos takes the field personally.
During the fight, Tony was to busy not getting killed to activate it. And that's without considering the possibility of jamming. (Come on, that's military tactics 101).

Compare it to real life. Even with bluetooth, how likely are you to be able to call the police in, giving them clear instructions, while some massive guy is wailing on you.

Then you add in all the reinforcements that arrived, that you'd have no way to Friend or Foe identify easy, and well, a drone strike was probably a bad idea.

It's also possible EDITHS control systems were knocked out when the base itself was it.

Just observations on that.
The too busy explanation doesn't work, I'm afraid. Tony had plenty of time while Thanos was monologuing before the fight started.

Jamming is a possibility.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

And 'main control systems offline due to lack of base?'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-09 11:06pm And 'main control systems offline due to lack of base?'
Yeah, that too. An orbital defense system is probably not going to be built to anticipate an enemy suddenly materializing in the lower atmosphere from another timeline.

Avrjoe
Redshirt

Post by Avrjoe »

Also until captain Marvel took out the ship it is a good bet the satellites would have been easy targets for it's weapons systems. Once the ship was taken out the tactical focus was on Thanos himself against which the drones would have barely been a distraction. It looks like Edith would have been a subpar weapon for most of that battle.
I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The opposite should be true.
Tony Stark literally dropped an 'I told you so' in Endgame to Captain America about his efforts to defend the world. If anyone would build contingencies for such an occurrence it would be Stark.

Stark was clearly obsessed with an attack coming so it is a bit silly that he has a massive system constructed that somehow is oblivious to Thanos ship appearing and Tony just magically forgot to employ it. The network was supposedly global in nature and we have repeatedly seen Stark employ his AI systems remotely via integration with his suits and AI systems.
It is kinda unreasonable for Thanos to be able to jam the entire world to prevent any Stark communication to the orbital network and even less sensible Stark created a network that is dependent on a single source of access in just those glasses. Friday should be integrated with the system or able to access it to the point Stark can give a command like he has repeatedly done with everything else.

This film made a handwave about the fallout of the snap. I am a bit confused about what happened with the schools.
One of the classmates is supposedly 5 years older than the rest of them but is in the same class... are they making the older kids repeat a class with kids that are 5 years younger than them ?
People vanished then supposedly appeared where they were originally 5 years later. So... how did the people on Titan get back to Earth ?
Doctor Strange can make a portal across space now ?

As for the Nick Fury - Is this going to be the birth of S.W.O.R.D ?
A rather unsubtle hint about the Avengers being off doing other things and pretty much everyone being 'unavailable'

That said - Was this actually true or were the aliens essentially bullshitting Parker about noone else being around to help. However, I really do not get what the aliens were trying to accomplish by getting Parker involved.
The mission they seem to have been given was give Parker the glasses and go away. Somehow that changed to give Parker the glasses and apply a rather considerable amount of pressure to work for them when he was clearly unwilling / not ready.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

The kid who aged used to be 5 years younger and aged up to be in their class. They knew him before as another kid's little brother who is now their aged and hot. It wasn't a 21 year old hanging out with 16 years old.

Talos appeared to buy what Beck was selling, so he probably figured it was his job as Fury's stand in to get him involved in stopping the fake elemental invasion. It turned out to be BS and Talos was much worse at getting Peter to do the job than Fury probably would have been, but the Skrulls were a bit out of their depth, although everyone else was too amateur themselves to notice.

The people in Titan got Wonged back home to join the ending brawl. Also word of God on the subject is Hulk instructed the stones to bring unsnapped to the same spot unless unsafe, and those in danger go to a nearby undangerous place.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Saw this last night, I enjoyed it. It was nice to see Aunt May Parker being a full on social worker. Honestly, it's one of the awesome things about the character that they dealt with, while also labeling the event as 'The Blip'.

You have to wonder just how many people, blipped or not blipped, are homeless either thanks to the event and the hell of the past five years, or the original owners returning. May notes that there was a new family there, but she and Peter have the same apartment as the last film, so maybe Blipped people got priority legally? I can see May fighting for the families that got displaced if that was a court decision.

Either way, good to see that kind of heroism in the MCU.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-07-12 12:36am Saw this last night, I enjoyed it. It was nice to see Aunt May Parker being a full on social worker. Honestly, it's one of the awesome things about the character that they dealt with, while also labeling the event as 'The Blip'.

You have to wonder just how many people, blipped or not blipped, are homeless either thanks to the event and the hell of the past five years, or the original owners returning. May notes that there was a new family there, but she and Peter have the same apartment as the last film, so maybe Blipped people got priority legally? I can see May fighting for the families that got displaced if that was a court decision.

Either way, good to see that kind of heroism in the MCU.
We saw a bit of that in Endgame, too, with Cap and the support group for Snap survivors.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2019-07-05 03:41pm I can't decide if Peter was stupid or merely naive to hand the glasses over to a guy he literlly just met a day ago.
Something we've yet to discuss here -- stupid or naive?

Peter didn't want the Responsibility. He didn't think he could handle it, he knew he couldn't live up to Stark's legend. Overall, it's another Great Power, Great Responsibility lesson.
Then, there's the fact Peter wasn't ready to be anything but Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. All the reporters asking him questions, and that was his response "Don't you want anything local and neighborly?" He didn't want to be internationally known. He wanted a (mostly) normal life.

Which is why Mysterio made that video to go viral. One last spiteful F-U to Stark, ruining Stark's star pupil in front of the world.