Heretical Adepta Sororitas?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Re: Heretical Adepta Sororitas?

Post by Black Admiral »

Ahriman238 wrote:b.) a whole Sorotias convent falls to Chaos via mind-rape (so much for "only one sister.")
However, that runs into a problem. Specifically; Varan's mojo flatly cannot work in the way it's alleged (and to some degree shown) to because if it did, Varan would've eaten a melta blast on making the attempt.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Post by Battlegrinder »

Black Admiral wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:b.) a whole Sorotias convent falls to Chaos via mind-rape (so much for "only one sister.")
However, that runs into a problem. Specifically; Varan's mojo flatly cannot work in the way it's alleged (and to some degree shown) to because if it did, Varan would've eaten a melta blast on making the attempt.

Well, I'd point out that there's a bit of a difference between "mind-controlled" and "Fallen". A fallen SoB would be one who willingly gives in to the powers of Chaos and trades her soul away. Being mind controlled doesn't reach that threshold.

And I don't see why Varen's ability couldn't work the way it's portrayed. He corrupted a bunch of civilians herded into stadiums, that gives his ability a fairly long range (certainly longer than the weapon range of the average sister).
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Battlegrinder wrote:And I don't see why Varen's ability couldn't work the way it's portrayed. He corrupted a bunch of civilians herded into stadiums, that gives his ability a fairly long range
Because it requires that he be both seen and heard directly for his mojo to work, which means the Sororitas Militant are covered; their Sabbat-pattern helms work the same as Astartes ones, there's no direct outside feed - they show a CG representation of what the armour's sensors are seeing and hearing.
(certainly longer than the weapon range of the average sister).
Nope.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Black Admiral wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:And I don't see why Varen's ability couldn't work the way it's portrayed. He corrupted a bunch of civilians herded into stadiums, that gives his ability a fairly long range
Because it requires that he be both seen and heard directly for his mojo to work, which means the Sororitas Militant are covered; their Sabbat-pattern helms work the same as Astartes ones, there's no direct outside feed - they show a CG representation of what the armour's sensors are seeing and hearing.
aren't the sisters even more willing then the Astartes to not wear their helmets though, where with space marines it's generally officers (be they commissined or noncoms) who don't wear helmets where as with the sisters it's not unheard of for even grunts to not wear helmets to battle.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Black Admiral wrote:
That assumes that they're wearing the helmets and the pattern of the helmets that those particular sisters were wearing has autosenses.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Black Admiral wrote:
Or he managed to catch them when they were at prayer. As I remember it, the book doesn't relate how and when he got the sisters.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Post by Battlegrinder »

Black Admiral wrote:
(certainly longer than the weapon range of the average sister).
Nope.

I don't recall Donal saying that Varen's power worded that way, and given that Donal was wounded, in shock from having Varen's control broken, and that he was by no means an expert on sorcery (Cain had just started his informal "heretics 101" course a short time ago, and given that Cain's knowledge of warpcraft was imprecise and empirical, I doubt one of Cain's students would be more informed).
And as Revan pointed out (and one of the other Cain books, Duty Calls, confirms) SoB frequently deploy sans helmet.

And as I recall, most SoB wield flamers, meltas, and CC weapons, not Bolters. Varen could easily brainwash them before they got into effective weapon range.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

dunno what this covent used but the standard battle weapon for the sisters is a Godwin-De'Az Pattern Bolter (assuming that hasn't been reconned in the latest edition mine is the latest) essentially they use the same type of bolters as the imperial guard does just they're more common in the sisterhood.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Battlegrinder wrote:And as I recall, most SoB wield flamers, meltas, and CC weapons, not Bolters. Varen could easily brainwash them before they got into effective weapon range.
Nitpick: First of all, a considerable fraction of them use bolters, and it only takes a few. Although Varan 'the Undefeatable' did have some kind of... built-in? ingrown? body armor that would make him a tough target, I doubt he could have laughed off sustained bolter fire.

Another nitpick: while melta guns have short range on the tabletop, and are canonically short-ranged weapons, realistically their effective range against personnel really ought to be several times longer than their effective range against a tank. They're basically ray guns, and the beam from a melta shouldn't just... stop at the 'end of range.' You'd expect it to keep going and just gradually lose effectiveness and penetration capability, spreading out or attenuating as it goes.

So while the meltagun's effective range as an antitank weapon may only be, say, fifty meters... I would NOT want to be standing 100 or 150 meters downrange when someone points a meltagun at me and pulls the trigger.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov