Good party game suggestions

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Good party game suggestions

Post by mr friendly guy »

I occasionally catch up with my uni buddies for some card games over a smidgeon of alcohol. These sessions last a few hours after brunch and its a great way for us to catch up since not all of us live close to each other. I am usually the host, so I am looking for card or board games which might be great for a few hours, over alcohol with minimum of 3 players.

So far we have tried Cards against Humanity (the name says it all), Munchkin (backstabbing fun), and I have recently ordered Eldritch spellwars (make your own funny sounding spell looks like fun when we are slightly intoxicated).

Any other games which people think are worth looking into. I am not looking for games which takes lots of hours to play or ones which will cost a lot of money since we are most probably not going to play that often (real life and all that) so its not worth the cost. I am also looking for games which are usually easy to learn the basics.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Good party game suggestions

Post by wautd »

A few on the top of my head:

Superfight
Joking hazard
Spyfall
Secret Hitler
Skull (aka Skulls and Roses)
Perudo
Exploding Kittens
Codenames
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Coup
Bang: the Dice Game
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

According to YT how to plays, Deception : murder in Hong Kong looks fun to play, although it needs at least four players. I can reliably get 3 players including myself when we do these catch ups, 4 might be tough.

Coup looks like a cheap and fun game with just a small amount of strategy. I might check if the gameshop has this game tomorrow when I go to the mall.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Farkle - You need D6 dice and paper.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I can definitely second Coup.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, Coup is awesome. But it's best with 5-6 people.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Pit is excellent
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

The amazing Wil Wheaton plays some nice games. For example Fury of Dracula looks like an awesome game for my group. Up to 5 players, but you can have one person playing Dracula and the other two players controlling two characters each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU__uZDYTI

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Coup is amazing. If people are cooperative, Hanabi is very cheap and a very good coop card game.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-20 04:54am The amazing Wil Wheaton plays some nice games. For example Fury of Dracula looks like an awesome game for my group. Up to 5 players, but you can have one person playing Dracula and the other two players controlling two characters each.
Fury of Dracula can hardly be called but a party game though (pretty complex rules and a game can easily take 2 hours), but if your group likes the theme then by all means go for it

Another great party game I can recommend Las Vegas from Ravensburger.
Ace Pace wrote: 2019-08-20 05:51am Hanabi is very cheap and a very good coop card game.
I concur. In the same gist of small, quick and portable games, Love Letter can be another contender as well.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Creeks and Crawdads is always a hoot and has an updated ruleset that makes it a little simpler than the 80s version. Basically, it's a very rules light DnD only you play a mutant crawdad and you have to remember to say things like quest objectives, what the shiny key you found is for (and that you've still got it) every so often or you forget them, which is tremendously good fun after a few beers.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

We're pretty fond of Machi Koro, which is extremely simple to play.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."