What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by [R_H] »

I just finished reading "The Technology of Tanks" by Richard Ogorkiewic. Some of it was extremely interesting, other parts...not so much.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just finished Larry Bond's "Cauldron". Quite a good thriller.

About to start on "Five Greatest Warriors" by Matthew Reilly. Because I need my fix.
Foggy NotGood
Redshirt

Post by Foggy NotGood »

Well, I'm working on cleaning out my bookcase, so the "what I'm currently reading" changes on a semi daily basis...

I just finished reading the Pellinor saga (The Naming, The Riddle, The Crow, The Singing) by Alison Crogon. It's kind of like Lord of the Rings in story, but ALOT easier read. Definitely read it at least once!

In anycase, I'm right now reading through "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It's rather creepy and definatly shouldn't be read before bed, but absolutely a great read thus far!
"There's a hate inside of me like some kind of master
I tried to save you, but I can't find the answer
I'm holding onto you, I'll never let go
I need you with me as I enter the shadows" -Shadows, Red
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Just finished Stephen Baxters Exultant. Now I would like to know more about the silver ghosts. Anyone know which books they feature in, if any?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
NDR-113
Redshirt

Post by NDR-113 »

The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov. Hoping soon to move on to A Brief History of Time; I am ashamed to admit I have not read it yet.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

CELL by Stephen King.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I gotta keep up to date on the drugs I'm confiscating from people at the airport.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

aerius wrote:Image
I gotta keep up to date on the drugs I'm confiscating from people at the airport.
And no doubt ensure that you and your co-workers can recognise the signs and symptoms of intoxication of all of these substances too?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Just finished 'The stranger' by Albert Camus, next up 'The Collector' by Fowles, and then speed read 'Cry, the beloved country'.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Starting Terry Pratchetts "Unseen Academicals". I hope it´s going to be good. I don´t really like the stupid wizards that much but i hope he somehow modified them like the rest of the characters to fit into the "modern" Ankh Morpork.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I just ordered it, and I hope he hasn't done just that, the style of the last few books have been weaker and this whole modern AM is getting done to death. I hope there is a return to older styles.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Started on the Ravenor omnibus a couple of weeks ago, and will continue with yet more 40k omnibuses my cousin has loaned to me once I finish that (I estimate I'll finish it in about a week when I can find the hour or two a day to get some reading in).

Alongside the omnibuses, I flip through "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James Loewen to get some of my history fix.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Spekio wrote:CELL by Stephen King.
I tried reading that, but only got about 40 pages in before putting it down. I just seem to have a real hard time getting into any of King's writings as of late - I tried Cell, Lisey's Story, and Duma Key, and put all of them down after a short-time.

I'm reading the screenplay of King's Storm of the Century. I have the mini-series on DVD, but the screenplay has a few other additional nuggets.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

His Divine Shadow wrote:I just ordered it, and I hope he hasn't done just that, the style of the last few books have been weaker and this whole modern AM is getting done to death. I hope there is a return to older styles.
Ah, ok, it´s the other way round with me. I never really liked the old Ankh Morpork and neither the characters, like the luggage and Two Flower or Rincewind. The old books are just mediocre Fantasy novels with a good load of "absurd" mixed into it. I think Pratchett started to shine when he started the whole "discworld = real world projected onto a fantasy stetting" thing. But, eh, matter of taste.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

George Lakoff and Mark Johnson's Metaphors We Live By.

I've read excerpts for various linguistics and philosophy classes for my senior year work, but I wanted to read the complete book in preparation for grad school. Plus, it's always nice to add to my reference shelf.
NDR-113
Redshirt

Post by NDR-113 »

I just seem to have a real hard time getting into any of King's writings as of late - I tried Cell, Lisey's Story, and Duma Key, and put all of them down after a short-time.
Aw! I liked Duma Key. I work with people who have disabilities, so I can somewhat relate to the one-armed fellow's story.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street by Janet Tavakoli.
weemadando wrote:
aerius wrote:I gotta keep up to date on the drugs I'm confiscating from people at the airport.
And no doubt ensure that you and your co-workers can recognise the signs and symptoms of intoxication of all of these substances too?
Hah! My husband votes for the Marijuana Party of Canada in our elections, what does that tell you about his standpoint on drugs? I bet he's reading the book so he knows how much he can snort up at work.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Ecology and Behavior of Amphibians by Kentwood Wells, a 900 page tome
Principles of Population Genetics 4th ed by hartl and Clark
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

J wrote:Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street by Janet Tavakoli.
weemadando wrote:
aerius wrote:I gotta keep up to date on the drugs I'm confiscating from people at the airport.
Hah! My husband votes for the Marijuana Party of Canada in our elections, what does that tell you about his standpoint on drugs? I bet he's reading the book so he knows how much he can snort up at work.
That was the implication of my post, however poorly it may have come across. Probably "well acquainted with" rather than "can regognise" would have been better.

Anyhow - back on topic.

I just finished Five Greatest Warriors - yet another great Matthew Reilly romp. I'm wondering what to go onto now. Some vintage Cussler? Deighton? Forsyth?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ever Since Darwin by Stephen J. Gould. Yes, the essays are showing their age in some cases, but I still find him thought-provoking. Gould's essays are what motivated me to actually read Origin of the Species cover to cover.

I am considering re-reading the entire series in order. I do have them all. Unfortunately, the first several I have only in a small format that is very stressful to my eyes, I really can't read more than an essay or two without having to rest. This getting old shit is really annoying.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Broomstick wrote: I am considering re-reading the entire series in order. I do have them all. Unfortunately, the first several I have only in a small format that is very stressful to my eyes, I really can't read more than an essay or two without having to rest. This getting old shit is really annoying.
Magnifying glass? I need to see if I have one still, some of my print-outs that I need to read are 4 pages to a sheet. The text is absolutely tiny.

I ordered Calculus vol.1 by Marsden and Weinstein from the library. Thankfully I was able to find it, because it's really expensive to buy.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yes, I own a magnifying glass, one I originally bought for needlework so it hangs around my neck instead of needing to be held in the hand. It's still annoying, though.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

salm wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote:I just ordered it, and I hope he hasn't done just that, the style of the last few books have been weaker and this whole modern AM is getting done to death. I hope there is a return to older styles.
Ah, ok, it´s the other way round with me. I never really liked the old Ankh Morpork and neither the characters, like the luggage and Two Flower or Rincewind. The old books are just mediocre Fantasy novels with a good load of "absurd" mixed into it. I think Pratchett started to shine when he started the whole "discworld = real world projected onto a fantasy stetting" thing. But, eh, matter of taste.
Hmmm, I agree that the Discworld series started off somewhat patchy with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, but I love the earlier Discworld novels like Small Gods, Mort, Pyramids, Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, and Sourcery where the setting felt more Medieval in tone, rather than steampunk Victorian - the series set upon that path of emulating the "modern" Earth with Moving Pictures and Soul Music. In The Fifth Elephant the city state of Ankh-Morpork set up a semaphore communications grid, known in-universe as the "clacks".
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I've started reading John Ringo's "Ghost". It's so terrible, it's entertaining, like a Segal movie on paper.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

[R_H] wrote:I've started reading John Ringo's "Ghost". It's so terrible, it's entertaining, like a Segal movie on paper.
Past chapter 20 or so it's just terrible and disgusting. Thankfully I'm 3 chapters from the end though.