[Discussion] Proposed Coliseum Rules

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

[Discussion] Proposed Coliseum Rules

Post by Coyote »

Here are my proposed rules for the Coliseum, a copy of which has been posted for discussion in the HoC. This is an amalgamation of rules from Ray245's proposal, with some of Lusankya's and Alyrium's considerations, as well as my own, added. Discuss and consider.

CHALLENGERS TO THE COLISEUM:

SETTING UP DEBATES:
Here is what you do to get into the Coliseum:

1- NOBLE'S DUEL: You and an opponent agree to debate something in the Coliseum.
2- THUNDERDOME: You are in a debate elsewhere on the board and feel you are being ganged up on/dogpiled, and challenge your opponents to pick a champion to debate one-on-one in the Coliseum. Two may enter, one may leave.

TYPES OF DEBATES:
Debates in the Coliseum can be Structured or Freestyle.

STRUCTURED: You agree to a set number of rounds and/or time. For example, you may agree to five posts each within a two-week time period. One person leads, the other responds. After each has given their five posts, a winner should be determined. (NOTE: "Five posts" is given as an example; you can agree to any set number within reason).

FREESTYLE: You go at each other with nothing but standard board rules for logic & debate.

DEBATE SCHEDULING:
Ideally, a debate will be picked at the beginning of each month; scheduled, and forms agreed to, by no later than the 7th of each month (the first week). That will typically leave three weeks in the month to fight it out. The day of the 7th is when the opening shots are fired.

If a Freestyle debate is going to spill over into the next month, and no one else has made reservations for the Coliseum, then the Freestyle debate can continue. If, however, someone else's reservations are looming, then a Moderator (at least a Governor) will tell the participants to wrap it up within the next post or two.

A NOTE ON TIMING:
Many debates will be carried out against opponents who are in different countries and different time zones. Bear this in mind when scheduling a debate; also, bear in mind different holidays or school schedules coming up when an opponent may be away. At a minimum, there should be a grace period of 48 hours from post-time to response; when cutting across weekends allow for 72 hours or more. It is best to agree beforehand on what will be the maximum allowance of time for a response.

Blowing the grace period twice in a row will be considered a Forefeit, unless prior agreements are made publicly.

MONTHLY PROPOSALS:
If there are no challengers, then a series of monthly set proposals can be argued by any interested parties. It is encouraged that debaters at SDN occassionally hone their skills by challenging themselves to try arguing on behalf of a position or stance they do not actually agree with as a challenge. Monthly set-piece debates are a good opportunity to try this, since these are not necessarily personal in nature, but suggested.

Monthly motions will be selected from the public forums and chosen by the Senate, Governors, or Emperor (Mike).

January: Scientific debates.
February: Political debates.
March: Economic debates.
April: Humour round debate, person who made the funniest (yet still logical!) arguments wins.
May: Sci-fi/fantasy debates.
June: philosophical/ morality & ethics debate.
July: Scientific debate.
August: Political debates.
September: Economic debates.
October: Sci-fi/fantasy debates.
November: Political debates.
December: Economic debates.

FORM AND ETIQUETTE:
"Drop the Matter/Forfeit" -- If you agree to a debate, and then decide to back out, you have to negotiate with your opponent. If you can get your opponent to agree to put it off or drop the matter, that's is your opponent's decision should they choose to be merciful. But be warned: If you fail to secure your opponent's agreement, it is not a Drop, but a Forfeit in favor of your opponent!

"I'm not prepared!" -- If you come to a debate unprepared, that is your fault. You can bargain for a Drop, a Forefeit, or a Reschedule, but if your opponent refuses, then you're going in there on thin ice, buddy.

"But... but... I won!" -- If no clear winner can be determined, then the matter can be decided by a decree from the Moderator that was watching; basically the 'thumbs up/thumbs down'. Or, the matter can be decided by popular vote in th eHouse of Commons.

"I'm on limited time!" -- If you are on limited time, then maybe you should put off your fight until you have time, or not participate at all. Time can be a crucial factor, especially if you are debating someone in another time zone who may also have other workdays or holidays that will add lag time between responses.

"@!$%&*!" -- There are no Nanny Rules governing Politeness at SDN. However, the more you can argue and make your point in a dignified manner, with class and creative style rather than gutter vulgarities, the more respectable you appear.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!