[Discussion]Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

[Discussion]Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Post by fgalkin »

Inspired by a post in the Board thread, and by the input of plebes.

The Horsemen of the Apocalypse are pretty much obsolete by now. There's only three, and they don't do much, since the HoS is dead.

Originally, they used to be big bad flamers to fry the trolls to a crisp (creative flaming was a must back then), then they got promoted to junior mods, with access to the Mod forum. Then, as HoS died down, they started to become a mod tryout position, sort of a proving ground like the Senate is now.

Then, the Senate came along and made them obsolete.

However, I don't think they should be done away with, on the contrary, they are a colorful SDN tradition, and should be given a ceremonial position on the board.

As the official keeper of SDN tradition (as Loremaster General), I believe we can revitalize the position in a new, purely ceremonial role. Here is my proposal:

1) The Horsemen of the Apocalypse are to be stripped of access to the Moderator forum and relegated to their original status of Minimod

2) The current Horsemen are to be disbanded, and 4 new members shall take their place

3) The role of these new members will be to keep the old flamewarrior traditions alive in the new, less flamey SDN (if we decide to go that way).

4) We will HoS a pure troll from time to time to be Horsemanized, as decided by the Senate.

5) Since there seems to be a scarcity of those, we will also hold re-enactments and demonstrations of flaming, to teach the new members the sacred Art of the Flame, should they chose to (hence, ceremonial role. Think of it as a Changing of the Guard ceremony in the HoS).

6) The positions shall be filled after a boad-wide competition for the spots. The way we can hold it, as I see it is

a) select a number of real troll posts from the Hall of Shame, from the different periods of board history

b) the competitors shall proceed to horsemanize the posts to the best of their ability

c) a panel of jurors or a board-wide poll shall select the 4 winners.

7) The positions may be made temporary for a period of 6 months, or a year, and a new competition to be held at the end of this time to select their replacements. That way, we'll have our own SDN spectator bloodsport!

What say you, my fellow Senators?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: [Discussion]Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Post by fgalkin »

And, it seems like we already have a volunteer:

[EDIT: Make that 4, now]
Bubble Boy wrote:
5) Since there seems to be a scarcity of those, we will also hold re-enactments and demonstrations of flaming, to teach the new members the sacred Art of the Flame, should they chose to (hence, ceremonial role. Think of it as a Changing of the Guard ceremony in the HoS).
This particular idea caught my eye. If it becomes of interest, I would be willing to volunteer as a 'troll' actor for one of these re-enactments, given it would be understood any and all posts for that purpose aren't held against the actor and guidelines are layed out so the player doesn't get too carried away. :)

Feel free to add this to the Senate with my name if you desire to.
I volunteer. I've never been properly roasted.
I would like to volunteer also for the position of Troll Actor, with the stipulation that any posts made for the "enactment" will not count towards my general board standing (with the understanding that those posts are crafted purely for the Troll Position, and not apart of my general attitude on the board or it's residents.).
Throwing myself in as a volunteer for troll acting. I'm not too far off the truth anyway!
Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Another suggestion from a plebe
fgalkin wrote:
4) We will HoS a pure troll from time to time to be Horsemanized, as decided by the Senate.
Suggestion, instead of doing that, allow said Horsemen to jump into a thread that has clearly gone off the tracks and just flame the person responsible.

The recent prop 8 threads and such are a good example where horsemen should be able to just jump into a thread and flame. The thread is effectively worthless by that point, so why not make it entertaining? Obviously, we should trust Horsemen not to jump in too soon and ruin the point.
Personally, I don't like this suggestion, but I think it merits debate. What say you?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I find myself being ambivalent about it, but it would be preferable to more rules and regulations in either the Senate or board wides in general so I'm game. Might even provide a pressure relief valve for the Test-ees and their rage at the Senate and/or 'good old boys club'.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

My immense, titanic schlong throbs with delight at the very thought of carrying this out. I say we do it forthwith.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

The flame-off is a great idea. I'm all for it.

I don't really care for the idea of jumping into trainwreck threads, though. Where tempers are already running high, Horsemanization would only seem to stir things up more. Better to stick to re-enactments, tournaments, and the denigration of demonstrated trolls.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Horsemen might be good at policing contentious threads and riding herd on dogpilers, and sorting out which combatants need to go to the Coliseum to work it off.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Reposted from the Dogpile thread:

I disagree with the Horsemen being used as debate mods- that is not their purpose, and would only conflict with their original purpose (which is to start flames, not douse them). Instead, we should have actual mods doing their job.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I'd throw my hat into the ring to be a Horseman, but only if they have an actual job--which is to flame the hell out of people (again) who get their threads sent to HOS. In short what I'm proposing, Fima, is that the Horsemen lead the mediated flaming to a crisp of people who truly fuck up and get their threads sent to HOS, whereas we crack down on flaming elsewhere on the board. In short, we make people keep it somewhat civil elsewhere, and if it's clear that we're dealing with an utter retard or stubborn idiot, we (the collective we, here referring specifically to the mod staff) send them to HOS and let the Horsemen go to town on them.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

In fact, I'd argue that the lack of such a system is part of our problem. Back in the day, threads used to stay open in HOS forever while the Horsemen tore the shit out of the offenders. Now, we don't have that--because it happens everywhere on the board. If we, to some extent, force the flaming into HOS, re-empower the horsemen in their original role as minimods to beat the crap out of trolls and idiots, and leave the threads open until the offender runs off crying and screaming, we'll be able to focus a lot of the board's excess tension, for lack of a better term, into HOS and keep it out of the other forums.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I'd throw my hat into the ring to be a Horseman, but only if they have an actual job--which is to flame the hell out of people (again) who get their threads sent to HOS. In short what I'm proposing, Fima, is that the Horsemen lead the mediated flaming to a crisp of people who truly fuck up and get their threads sent to HOS, whereas we crack down on flaming elsewhere on the board. In short, we make people keep it somewhat civil elsewhere, and if it's clear that we're dealing with an utter retard or stubborn idiot, we (the collective we, here referring specifically to the mod staff) send them to HOS and let the Horsemen go to town on them.
I'm all for that. What I'm opposed to is making the Horsemen the kind of mobile police force Coyote is suggesting. We have (or SHOULD have) on-duty supermods for that.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

fgalkin wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I'd throw my hat into the ring to be a Horseman, but only if they have an actual job--which is to flame the hell out of people (again) who get their threads sent to HOS. In short what I'm proposing, Fima, is that the Horsemen lead the mediated flaming to a crisp of people who truly fuck up and get their threads sent to HOS, whereas we crack down on flaming elsewhere on the board. In short, we make people keep it somewhat civil elsewhere, and if it's clear that we're dealing with an utter retard or stubborn idiot, we (the collective we, here referring specifically to the mod staff) send them to HOS and let the Horsemen go to town on them.
I'm all for that. What I'm opposed to is making the Horsemen the kind of mobile police force Coyote is suggesting. We have (or SHOULD have) on-duty supermods for that.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Then we're in complete agreement.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Mod staff are...well human. A rotating job of Horseman, which is what I thought was being considered, would revitalize the post for 'roving policeman'.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Let's just name some horsemen, let them get the fun of flaming the shit out of people, and try to keep things a little more civil elsewhere on the board. If people want to get to flaming more often, let the Horsemen have a thread in the HoS where users can get into flame-wars with the horsemen or something.

You know what wouldn't be awesome? Spending weeks or months on "tryouts". Super lame, no matter how fun you thought it was back in the day. Let's just get this taken care of, shall we?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Weeks or months? I was hoping we would get the new Horsemen appointed by Monday.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Hopes and dreams are nice, but look at what you're suggesting. It's not really that reasonable to set up contest like that in a day or two and expect people to respond in a timely fashion. We have nominees, let's clear it with them and set up a vote, boom done end.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Well, I was hoping to simply post the challenge in HoS over the weekend, have anyone willing to come in and horsemanize away, and then judge the results on Monday. If they won't get appointed on Monday, sometime next week, for certain.

Edit: I am not certain about the abilities of some of the nominees, to be honest, and I would like to make sure the people we appoint are qualified for the job.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Wouldn't Nitram make a good Horseman? He's always got the flamethrower on 'simmer'.

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Well, it looks like there are no serious objections, and the plebes seem eager, so, voting time?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

fgalkin wrote:Well, it looks like there are no serious objections, and the plebes seem eager, so, voting time?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
What specifically do we want to sign off on now? My thought would be that we just vote on all 7 proposals at once but leave the specific contest to be used and the names of the winners, obviously, until later. If that okay by you (since its your baby) let me know, get a second and I will post the vote.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Coyote wrote:Wouldn't Nitram make a good Horseman? He's always got the flamethrower on 'simmer'.
He's a SuperMod already, he doesn't need to be a Horseman.

However, his flamethrower has gotten a hair-trigger since he's gotten badly ill. He's got less tolerance for BS than ever.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Ahh, true-- he pretty much has the power already.

I know Marina has put in for modship, but I actually think she'd kick better ass as a Horseman. :twisted: