[Discussion] History forum - more stringency?

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

[Discussion] History forum - more stringency?

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'm sorry I kind of missed the discussion on N&P (let it also be known that I will support the finalized measures proposed in that thread).

There is another forum which people think requires a little more stringency. This PM was sent to me by Thanas, but to be frank, there are many strange and too general RARs spawning around (the two last threads being an prime example).
PM from Thanas wrote:I am concerned about the recent threads of what-ifs showing up in the history subforum.

We have one RAR thread in there already (here). I for one believe that serious what-ifs (like this one)have a great potential for serious discussion, but RAR threads like this are an absolute waste of bandwith since they consist of one question and two lines of text. No info is gained that way.

Feel free to distribute my PM as freely as you like. I also do not care about anonimity.

Regards,
Thanas
It is my feeling as well that too many RAR threads are slipping into history. I have nothing against alt-histories, but if they are too general and too many, I thought we were going to put the more generic ones, especially WWI and WWII RARs, into Off-Topic?

Especially as I see some RARs don't even generate much interest in the History forum, which makes the threads purposeless.

What are your thoughts, esteemed colleagues?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

We need a mod there-- who will do just exactly that. Flush 'em to OT.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Coyote wrote:We need a mod there-- who will do just exactly that. Flush 'em to OT.
I can step in and mod History until a permanent mod crew is appointed.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

RedImperator wrote:
Coyote wrote:We need a mod there-- who will do just exactly that. Flush 'em to OT.
I can step in and mod History until a permanent mod crew is appointed.
I certainly have no objections to that.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Me neither, full support of such a measure.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Weren't we discussing moderating staff for the History forum? What ever became of that?
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

We were discussing that; we were coming to an agreement on measures for N&P; we'd also agreed on the revokation of a negative title..

We have a full combo plate, of which it is only half-eaten! :P

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Could we start a new thread for mod recommendations? For wherever the Admins and supermods and mods (and Mike of course) decide where they might be needed?

Edit: As for History, why not just outlaw RAR threads in anyplace other than testing? If they're interesting to anyone I imagine they can either be asked to be moved elsewhere (mod discretion) or interest in the thread iwll keep it afloat.

IF anyone breaks the rules then just be ruthless to them (I have no problem with mod discretion here.)
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I'd be willing to toss my hat in for the History subforum only--I mean, it's just a subforum, fairly low traffic, and as everyone knows I'm one of the more intensely interested individuals on the board in history, though indeed it's been the somewhat less serious attitude of the place that has deterred me from posting (that and the need to rewrite most of my essays of interest). But since everyone originally agreed that Stas was a solid moderator for the place, but now everyone seems to think (and he certainly is!) he's more suitable for N&P--well, I'd be willing to do it. Since it's a subforum, does the moderator there even need to be a full moderator? A minimod with lock privileges for other peoples' threads seems quite sufficient, and I'd be happy doing it (I've stated before I don't really want to get involved in moderation, but I'd make an exception for being a minimod in a forum with interesting topics).
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Stas and Marina both could probably share such a responsibility.

In fact, consider this to be my official nomination of both of them!

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shep was nominated as well the last time around, and I think he'd do well there.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I was in favor of Stas, but I think he would be one of the best put forth for N&P, and given the volume of work that place needs I don't want to throw more at him, even if it is something so minor.

I do actually think Shep could do well there - looking at the threads, most of them are military history, and this really is his thing. I suggest him and DZ.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Stas mentioned being short of time as we were going into the STGOD, so it seems that the History forum demands would be pretty minor. N&P would be a bit more of a mouthful to chew. But if Stas has time for N&P, hell, I'd withdraw the nomination for History and apply it there.

Stas, Stas,.... what's Russian for 'Uber Alles'? Applying that phrase to a Russian just wouldn't feel right.

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Stas, Marina, and Shep are all good choices -- perhaps, if Stas works in N&P, his domain could also be extended to include History?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I would also be willing to do minimod duties in History-- it'd be much like what I do for the Mess, already, if it leaves Stas time for N&P.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Remember, this is all subject to the Will Of Mike.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

LadyTevar wrote:Remember, this is all subject to the Will Of Mike.
This need not be said; all questions of policy and administration are subject to his imprimatur or veto as a matter of course.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Just as a for the record no votes please. Feel free to post thoughts or ideas but we have, as the Senate, provided several names and the final selection of a Mod remains woutside fo our control.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Can we stage a "vote as recommendation/endorsement"? A seal of group approval for Mike to judge when weighing merits?

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Um...

Given my current job workload, which is increased, I think I'd be hardly able to mod the N&P without a huge crew of co-moderators.

History requires two mods at best. Me and Shep or Marina could easily do it - History has a minor volume of new content put forth, it's more about quality than just spawning news articles.

Just keep in mind that I am a family person with a wife now, and my time constraints grew heavier.

Assalti Frontali
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Oh, you'd not be asked to do it alone if you were selected. Our recommendation to Mike was around adding four new moderators to N&P, in addition to the four already assigned (though 2 - 3 of those are also supermods, IIRC, so they don't have nearly as much time to pay on the forum). Basically to have six moderators dedicated to handling N&P.

Hmm. A dedicated "recommendation" thread for the two boards might be suitable so that all the names named are easily available in one place for the board leadership to look over?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now, now, we all know that most of this shit will calm the fuck down after January 20th. Lets lance that boil and pack the wounds with sterile bandages, it's the only way to treat an abcess.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Coyote wrote:Can we stage a "vote as recommendation/endorsement"? A seal of group approval for Mike to judge when weighing merits?
We could though I would say its the sort of vote where i would not but an actual quorum on it nor would a vote spam be neccessary (in my mind at least). As its definately in the vein of a resolution and not a formal policy vote I won't stop anyone just let my recommendation be out there.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Let's do the N&P material first. Selecting moderators for the sub forum is at this time, no different then making them full moderators and currently far down the stack of things that need to happen.

And to be honest we can have Edi, Hipper and which ever Supermod hold until we have it all pat and down.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete