[Discussion] Post Count Resets

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

[Discussion] Post Count Resets

Post by Noble Ire »

I believe it would be prudent to move the remainder of the discussion on resetting post counts as a method of disciplinary action from the Einhander Snowman vote thread to this discussion thread.

Now, I received this via PM today:
Starglider wrote:Hi Noble Ire. I've been following the thread about punnishing Ein, since I've found him to be a pretty fun guy. With regard to post counts, I sent a patch for this to DW a month or so back that would mostly remove the need to do resyncs (by adjusting post count downwards as appropriate when testing is flushed). AFAIK he's still reviewing that one. If that goes in there might still be yearly resyncs to catch database glitches and manually deleted threads.

OTOH if you really want I could further modify the code to make post count resets permenant, it wouldn't be difficult, however given how busy DW seems to be it might be anywhere between a long time and never before it gets reviewed and implemented.
Obviously, Darth Wong's time is his own, and he'll modify this board when and how he sees fit. Nevertheless, I thought it would be proper for the Senate to know that it is possible to make post count resets permanent, assuming there was support for making such a change.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

As I mentioned in the other thread regarding Einy in specific, I'm not too worked up about postcount resets. The law of unintended consequences would point to an (intentional or unintentional) increase in chat-like threads to "rebuild" one's status vis-a-vis postcount.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

I personally think postcount resets are an anti-punishment. There are stars for how long a member has been on the board, which denote a level of seniority already, and someone who's been around and (seemingly) has a low postcount appears (on the surface) to be someone who only contributes to the board occasionally when he or she has something worthwhile to say. I really don't understand the point of bothering with them, personally.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I’m completely against post count resets, though I would not go so far to utterly rule them out of future consideration. But yeah, suffice to say modifying board software to support doing it is completely unnecessary and a waste of time.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

I don't see any reason to modify the software for something this inconsequential. The change would require additional data to be tracked (one additional column in the table where the post count is stored), and so could incur a (very small) performance hit for no good reason.
Later...