[Discussion]---Coberst

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Does anyone want to use him to experiment with a double-vote system for handing out punishments? We simultaneously start two polling threads, one asking whether or not he's guilty and one asking what kind of punishment he should get if he is...
I thought of that when I put up the poll, but in truth we are supposed to have the option in polls now for "not guilty/no punishment", so I felt that the addition of a second poll for that would be a duplication of effort-- and perhaps bring accusations of rigging up a legal recourse to "postcount +1" polls for Senators.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

I think Marina's main concern is poll dilution, which could be a problem. One thing I've been meaning to ask, how are we defining "simple majority" for category B votes? If they do require 50% then poll dilution could be a problem which would be solved with dual threads.

Another solution would be to hold "No Punishment" to a 50% threshold and hold all other options to greatest number of votes. The result of a poll like that give us decision and sentence in a single hit without the risk of indecision while still maintaining majority rule.
:D
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Heh, another parallel between rvalencia and coberst is that their usernames appear to be all-lowercase, first letter of their first name followed by their last name.
Later...
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mad wrote:Heh, another parallel between rvalencia and coberst is that their usernames appear to be all-lowercase, first letter of their first name followed by their last name.
Well, that's not too unusual.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Answering Spyder's quesiton since I've mostly been the one tracking the percentages for votes Simple Majority has been at least half plus one of all votes cast other than abstentions for a given recourse. It is a reason why I think the two-tiered approach ( a "punish/don't punish" poll followed by a seleect a punihsmnet poll) is probably something we should go to my only concern is speed of action.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Answering Spyder's quesiton since I've mostly been the one tracking the percentages for votes Simple Majority has been at least half plus one of all votes cast other than abstentions for a given recourse. It is a reason why I think the two-tiered approach ( a "punish/don't punish" poll followed by a seleect a punihsmnet poll) is probably something we should go to my only concern is speed of action.
How about the idea of making 50% required only for no punishment? Keeps things speedy and tidy.
:D
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Spyder wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:Answering Spyder's quesiton since I've mostly been the one tracking the percentages for votes Simple Majority has been at least half plus one of all votes cast other than abstentions for a given recourse. It is a reason why I think the two-tiered approach ( a "punish/don't punish" poll followed by a seleect a punihsmnet poll) is probably something we should go to my only concern is speed of action.
How about the idea of making 50% required only for no punishment? Keeps things speedy and tidy.
My worry with that is that with polls including the option of banning I very much support the idea that 60% is a good floor to have. We shouldn't ban on a whim and it should be a clear decision to do so. If we set the bar as 50% for no punishment and the plurality choice amongst punishment options wins we lose the neccessity of a 60% vote for banning.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
My worry with that is that with polls including the option of banning I very much support the idea that 60% is a good floor to have. We shouldn't ban on a whim and it should be a clear decision to do so. If we set the bar as 50% for no punishment and the plurality choice amongst punishment options wins we lose the neccessity of a 60% vote for banning.
Bannings are class A votes anyway, and I don't think the should ever be included in the same thread with other punishments because of that. They're a different kind of vote with different kind of requirements according to the Senate rules. Why do we lump them together with the lesser class B punishments?

As for the time problems associated with running a guilt/innocence poll and a punishment poll, you just run both of them simultaneously.

One thread asks guilt or innocence, and the other one is "If this is person is guilty, which punishment do you favour."
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: One thread asks guilt or innocence, and the other one is "If this is person is guilty, which punishment do you favour."
Another reason why the abstain option is so important: if you thought the person was innocent, you can simply abstain from the punishment poll without contributing to ruining quorum.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Surlethe wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: One thread asks guilt or innocence, and the other one is "If this is person is guilty, which punishment do you favour."
Another reason why the abstain option is so important: if you thought the person was innocent, you can simply abstain from the punishment poll without contributing to ruining quorum.
A very good point.

Here's a suggestion for how we can do bans--Banning is an option for the punishment poll. The guilty/innocent poll is run simultaneously with the punishment poll. If 60% + 1 vote in favour of guilty, then banning becomes possible. If less than that, but more than 50%, favour guilty, then banning is not an option. Should banning happen to win as the favoured punishment if the person is guilty, but the guilty vote doesn't reach 60% + 1, then the next most popular form of punishment is applied automatically.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.