OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Post by Terralthra »

Agent Sorchus wrote:The Nacelles "Should not be more than fifty percent obstructed" as I have seen it in various fan sites.

Link here is what I have seen as the common opinion of serious fansites.
Rule #2 Warp nacelles must have at least 50% line-of-sight on each other across the hull.
So fuzzy's design is in perfect understanding of the rules. (And the rules can be broken like the Defiant for a good design anyway.)
Just going to comment on this - the Defiant follows the design rules just fine, actually. The ship actually forms an arc in the plane perpendicular to the front/back axis, and that arc is capped on either end by the nacelles, which dip even lower. They have line of sight on each other below the bulk of the ship, rather than above the engineering fuselage, as most Federation ships do. It's hard to see because both the command deck and the impulse engines dip downward and cover up the gap when seen from directly in front or back.

Looked at this way, it's as if the Federation took the Klingon Bird of Prey/Cruiser approach with downward-angled wings tipped by nacelles, took out the wings as essentially stylistic rather than structural, and took the remaining design through the Federation-izer.

The other rules are that nacelles must come in pairs, the nacelles must be clearly visible from the front, and the bridge must be at the front/top of the ship. The Defiant meets all these.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

I heard Cryptic might be hiring. In what may have been a fit of insanity, I've burned my last fumes of optimism (I didn't get that art grant) by revising my resume and sending it in to Cryptic.

Can't hurt right?
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

That would be pretty cool. You could subtly influence the design team with cookies shaped like your enterprise...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Andrew Probert was kind enough to have a look at my 3D model, give me some notes, and exchange doodles, which I hope he won't mind me posting here:

His primary suggestions were struts in a U shape rather than a V shape, a larger deflector, and a rounder saucer.

I'm toying with the idea of whipping up a new model based on these changes, this time with actual saucer separation.

Thanks for the assist Andrew :) It felt like jamming with Bruce Springsteen :D
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Andrew Probert is awesome. :)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Can't wait.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:Andrew Probert was kind enough to have a look at my 3D model, give me some notes, and exchange doodles, which I hope he won't mind me posting here:
*snip*

His primary suggestions were struts in a U shape rather than a V shape, a larger deflector, and a rounder saucer.

I'm toying with the idea of whipping up a new model based on these changes, this time with actual saucer separation.

Thanks for the assist Andrew :) It felt like jamming with Bruce Springsteen :D
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

It's taken me a day to digest Cryptic's final draft, but I can now say that it's a far more appropriate Enterprise F than my own.

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... n_main.jpg

She's intimidating, having a very mature stature. My design looks rather adolescent by comparison.

Her curves are a good deal more fluid. Very organic yet purposeful. No doubts as to her structural integrity.

She's not a great leap forward in design philosophy, a safer choice, probably wise. I have no doubts she'll be seamlessly accepted by the majority of fans, which is all they could ever have hoped for.

I'd love to congratulate the winner on STO's forums, but I appear to have been banned?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Meh, looks like a supped up Voyager.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Knife wrote:Meh, looks like a supped up Voyager.
It looks like poo
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:It's taken me a day to digest Cryptic's final draft, but I can now say that it's a far more appropriate Enterprise F than my own.

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... n_main.jpg

She's intimidating, having a very mature stature. My design looks rather adolescent by comparison.

Her curves are a good deal more fluid. Very organic yet purposeful. No doubts as to her structural integrity.

She's not a great leap forward in design philosophy, a safer choice, probably wise. I have no doubts she'll be seamlessly accepted by the majority of fans, which is all they could ever have hoped for.

I'd love to congratulate the winner on STO's forums, but I appear to have been banned?
Yours is better, and I think yours is poo, so there you go.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I just don't like how Voyagerised it is. Voyager always reminded me of a giant, flying garden trowel.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Stofsk wrote:I just don't like how Voyagerised it is. Voyager always reminded me of a giant, flying garden trowel.
It looks like the aborted fetus of the lovechild of Voyager and the Enterprise E.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

One of the things I liked about Fuzzy's is it went back to the original formula for a ST ship, while all the 'new' models keep getting more and more sleek and straight lined.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Knife wrote:One of the things I liked about Fuzzy's is it went back to the original formula for a ST ship, while all the 'new' models keep getting more and more sleek and straight lined.
I think that's something Cryptic didn't like about it.

I keep reading this:
I remember one particular entry that looked beautiful, but it just looked too retro - almost like a next generation TOS Enterprise.
-and wondering if Dstahl referring to mine or Chris Madden's. *I went to look for his entry, which I can't find bigger than this now that the contest site is gone:

-but apparently this is his too:

Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Found a huge version of Madden's submission image:
http://chrismaddenart.com/ent-f_final.jpg
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

That one looks so much better than what ended up winning.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Stofsk wrote:That one looks so much better than what ended up winning.
I think it looks better that his submission, which while lovely, is arguable too retro.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I do not think the winning design looks "large" enough, especially with that voyager-like saucer. More suited to a cruiser, I think.

EDIT: The back looks good enough, but the front top view is atrocious.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Thanas wrote:I do not think the winning design looks "large" enough, especially with that voyager-like saucer. More suited to a cruiser, I think.

EDIT: The back looks good enough, but the front top view is atrocious.
The textures don't look particularly finished right now. You'll notice that the hull paneling doesn't actually align with anything in some areas.

My hope is that they'll add about another 10 rows of windows as they polish and tweak the texture. (Giving her 30 decks rather than 20.) There is also a big dark patch on the top of the nose that is rather off-putting. I hope they lose that.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Lots of new Enterprise F pics from Cryptic:

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... 211_01.jpg

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... 211_02.jpg

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... 211_04.jpg

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... 211_05.jpg

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... 211_07.jpg

I'm liking her more and more :)

[edit] More pics: http://startrekonline.com/gallery

[edit] I do hope they work on the textures a bit more. In some area the shapes seem purposeless or misapplied. Especially on the nacelle struts, which also don't blend with the other objects very well.
Last edited by Fuzzy_Modem on 2011-07-22 07:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

http://www.startrekonline.com/dynconten ... 211_04.jpg

This one of the above is the best of the lot and makes me hopeful for the ship. It also shows that you were right in trying to emulate the excelsior in style.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Agent Sorchus wrote:It also shows that you were right in trying to emulate the excelsior in style.
Lol. I gave up thinking I was right about anything when the finalists were announced. 8)
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I can see how this is a follow-on to the E, but it almost seems like the design is once again tending away from militarism, towards the hybrid explorer/diplomat heritage of the D, away from the more battlecruiser lines of the E. To me, the E had a bit of squat confrontational attitude that just screamed "warship" to it that the D and F lack.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

I still think that the double neck is a terrible idea. It's adding unnecessary structural weakness, and it just looks, well, silly - no matter what they've done to spruce it up.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.