OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The winning design looks like some bastard mishmash of Galaxy, Sovereign and Oberth. What a waste of a good name.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The winning design looks like some bastard mishmash of Galaxy, Sovereign and Oberth. What a waste of a good name.
Hey, its just one more bit of stupidity in TNG-era Trek. Its nothing we're not used to. :)
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

The official site for the winners is up: http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2415
PERMANENTLY BANNED after being convicted of child sexual abuse.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Gah, congrats to that guy for winning and all, but sheesh, really? I would have been alright with the second place guy winning as that was one of my preferred designs, but this thing is just... not the Enterprise.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What I find insulting is that the design with the most votes is not even listed among the runnerups.

That's just an unnecessary slap in the face.

It just sounds like "hey guys, do work for us for free. BTW, we are totally going to ignore your input on anything".
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Cute flood of angry emails and/or phone calls to CBS over this, I hope. I'm certainly going to see if I can find a good number to call and complain.

I'm sorry they fucked you over, F_M; yours looks badass. It's still my wallpaper.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Molyneux wrote:Cute flood of angry emails and/or phone calls to CBS over this, I hope. I'm certainly going to see if I can find a good number to call and complain.

I'm sorry they fucked you over, F_M; yours looks badass. It's still my wallpaper.
It's cool man. I kinda like the winner's design. At least it's different.

If you want the latest render for your desktop I'll have the a variety of sizes (san orthos) up later tonight.
Kyler
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyler »

Fuzzy_Modem wrote:At least it's different.

That is true at least they did that, but I really liked your design because I felt it balanced old school and newer trek ship elements.

Keep up the hard work on your other projects, I always enjoy checking the site and seeing what you have come up with recently.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

Before I go... like, fucking camping or something... I did want to say that I emailed Cryptic and they emailed me back. To summarize, some of them liked it, but it sounds really unlikely that it will ever make it into the game, without them having said "no" flatout.

Also, by way of a source who will remain nameless for the sole purpose of inviting speculation, I was able to contact Scott Herbertson: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0378643/
He did me the amazing favor of giving me his thoughts on my design, and I've found his words quite comforting.

I'm really hoping he won't mind me quoting him here:
I think it is pretty cool and streamlined while still paying tribute to the original architecture. I am not a vehicle guy but I have seen alot of re-works of the Enterprise and yours is just as good as many quite honestly... You clearly have a love of the genre and a strong skill-set. Keep working hard, you never know where it can lead.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

To put it colloquially, Mr. Modem, you got screwed with your pants on. That you were not among the top four, after having received the greatest number of fan votes, well, this says enough for me about the people running this "contest".
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Just one more reason for me not to buy the game then.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The winning entry looks like poo.
Thanas wrote:Just one more reason for me not to buy the game then.
It's also a shit game anyway.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Can someone give me the e-mail address of who I should be complaining too?
I feel angry enough to send a cross email.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Damn I'm sorry Fuzzy. Its a fucking travesty that they didn't even give you a nod as runner up considering the poll results.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Hell, even a "and such and such won our user vote" would have been adequate. Not great, but adequate
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

barnest2 wrote:Hell, even a "and such and such won our user vote" would have been adequate. Not great, but adequate
Of course if they said that it would be a tacit admission that they didn't give a shit about the votes. This way they can give a vague pretense that the votes were in any way relevant.

Definitely a shame Fuzzy, I still like your design better than any of the top four finalists.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Thanas wrote:Just one more reason for me not to buy the game then.
Yeah... seriously Thanas. I'm so not buying the game because of the dump they just took on fans... and not even casual fans like me, who can probably be bothered to check out their sight and vote from time to time.. but fuzzy put work into that design. That's a dedicated fan who really put time and effort into a quality work so they could what... pick the model with a foreskin on the engine hull???

I frankly, don't give a shit if "some of them liked it" Those assholes made it a voting contest which was entirely misleading, considering the votes counted for shit.

Fuzzy don't throw that design away, i wouldn't mind seeing a couple more videos of it. I was loving your demo piece.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It would not bother me so much, in principle, if the actual winner didn't follow the votes. Because it was going to go into the 'canon' and CBS would ultimately have to approve it, and CBS may not have cared. And I wouldn't blame Cryptic (much less denounce the game forever*) over what CBS decided, because it's not like they can control that.

That said unless CBS also had a hand in the second, third, fourth and runner up winners (and I don't see why they would, though maybe they did I don't know) I can't see why they wouldn't take the votes and ratings into account. Because otherwise, as said above, what was even the point of having them?

Incidently, the STO forums are pretty pissed at the winner, too. So it's not just this band of nerds. :)

*For the record, I do enjoy the game, and don't think it's 'crap' or 'rubbish' as others do (and please let's not derail this into a G&C level thread). Still, there are plenty of legitimate gripes about the game that could turn people away which have nothing to do with this contest. Like how they can release new Federation ships and costumes every couple of weeks, yet the Klingon side gets jack and shit despite many promises to give the KDF some love. Naturally, KDF players and even just those who like to dabble on the KDF side are pretty pissed over that.

Who knows, maybe the upcoming Season 4 update will finally give the Klingons some much needed loving, from ships, costumes, to actual content that isn't just straight PVP. But I don't think a lot of people are holding their breaths for that one.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

RogueIce wrote: Incidently, the STO forums are pretty pissed at the winner, too. So it's not just this band of nerds. :)

woah woah woah let's not just toss the N word around, I do sports :P

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Regardless of what the dolts at CBS think, your work will always be held in high regard here and by the voters who made your design both top-rated and most-voted. I am going to enshrine this thread in the Gallery where it rightfully belongs. Excellent work.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Agreed on the saving.

Anyway, thought I would put this here. There is a good chance that Fuzzy's ship will make it into the game anyway.
The new Enterprise will be the generic cruiser, and Fuzzy's will be a science cruiser... personally I think those should be swapped, but it would be great for it to get in anyway...

Also: hey look! it gets fuglier http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=4 ... count=1221

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Its not that ugly. My main complaint against it is the rather tenuous connection of the saucer to the engineering section. Trek ships already get bashed for their fragile construction around here.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Its not that ugly. My main complaint against it is the rather tenuous connection of the saucer to the engineering section. Trek ships already get bashed for their fragile construction around here.
Completely agree with that. Two well-placed torpedo shots and bye-bye saucer.
barnest2 wrote:Anyway, thought I would put this here. There is a good chance that Fuzzy's ship will make it into the game anyway.
That would be sweet, but what's your source?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Fuzzy_Modem
BANNED

Post by Fuzzy_Modem »

The winner offered them orthos and they declined?!?
http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=49455 ... count=1251

They've taken control now... It's the ability to improvise they wanted, not a finished product!

Fuuuuck...

The Eve contest was the opposite. They didn't care about the perspective, their only requirement was all 6 orthos. THEY wanted a finished product but Cryptic just wanted a doodle to inspire them to create their own design.

Even more ironic is that those artists in the Eve contest created BEAUTIFUL perspectives too: http://www.evecontest.com/finalvote/ -even though they weren't required!

How could I have misread what this contest was so badly? The website design alone should have told me. Of course they only wanted thumbnails. You can do ANYTHING with a reference that small. I thought I was so clever by figuring out the maximum vertical area...

I could have given them flex room if they'd told me that's what they wanted!

I killed my chances by working to hard. I really just can't believe it.

>sigh<

I'll be fine. Already better than yesterday, and tomorrow is the weekend. I gotta get out of town... go out to the hot springs or up to the hills...