Sinanju Project (image heavy!)

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Darwin
Jedi Master

Re: Sinanju Project (image heavy!)

Post by Darwin »

generator_g1 wrote:Darwin, what camera do you use for the close-up shots?
Nikon Coolpix 4800. My main reason for getting that particular camera is, that for a point-and-shoot, its macro capabilities are fucking superb. It can focus on a subject 1cm away from the lens. (but you'd better have a tripod!) I rarely photo that close, but 3 inches is common, and I don't need the high end features or more than 4 megapixels of higher end cameras. And I got this one refurbed for cheap. ^.^
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Minor update this time, still trying to figure out my color mix. In the meanwhile, I added detail to the bits of the backpack thrusters that are going to stay exposed

and some more detail to the arm (though I need to clean up that gundam marker oops)

I also added detail to the beam rifle, but I'll get pics of that with the next round, cause I'm not quite done with it!

I also ordered an obscene number of aluminum upgrade parts from Mechaskunk, so, I've still got a lot of work to do!
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Day whateverthefuck

Have I mentioned that I really really suck at using 2-part epoxy putty? It sticks to my fingers, it sticks to my tools, it sticks to the table, It sticks to everything but I want it to stick to. This is why I almost always use no-mix putties when I can.

To explain, I really liked the look of the G-System Sinanju's beam axes, so I'm gonna try to replicate that, instead of the kind of cheap-looking skeletal ones on the MG kit.

Here's my progress on the beam rifle. It's almost ready to go!

And the optics, before a coat of Future.

While I had the Future out, I decided to give a spray to my black parts, And beam-axe blades, since they're getting some decals) as they're going to need to hold up to a lot of abuse/handling/masking/demasking when I get ready to spray the gold!

Oops, maybe I took it too far.

Nope, It's all good.

I forgot to pre-shade the parts that are white (backpack bits and the fuel tanks) guess I'll post-shade em soon. I'm totally out of Tamiya black. Must work on that.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

So...shiny...

The rifle looks really good, especially the metallic parts. I assume you're not finished with the scopes yet?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darth Yoshi wrote:So...shiny...

The rifle looks really good, especially the metallic parts. I assume you're not finished with the scopes yet?
More or less. There's some small detail yet to add, but I think I'm going to keep them the color of the rifle.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

painting on hold a few days, I figured out the problem with my airbrush compressor.

You know the gasket, between the halves of the motor housing? The one that keeps all the oil in?

Yeah. I don't have one of those.

Gotta call the Silentaire peeps and order one.

Meanwhile I'm gonna keep working on those axe handles.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Ahhh G-System... If I go back to Hong Kong for law school I can have all the resin parts and airbrushes I want. No more of this New York expensive kits with US customs freaking over all plastic toys from Asia. Those light green cables are looking mighty good, mate.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

You know Darwin, your work's great and all, but next time I see a Sinanju build, I'm expecting:

Except with grey mechanical bits shadowed and everything.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Man, the G-System Sinanju makes me so jealous.

On the other hand, I'm stealing details from it left and right for my own. :D

Today I got my Mechaskunk order, and spent all day sorting and allocating bells and baffles and verniers and pins. Woo!

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Darwin wrote:Man, the G-System Sinanju makes me so jealous.
I don't know, to be honest. Despite the additional detail, something feels a little off about it.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

*completely ignores bells'n'stuff* They're so cute!
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Panel lining that Tieren Taozi Gasaphon makes all the difference.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Ypoknons wrote:Panel lining that Tieren Taozi Gasaphon makes all the difference.
Yeah, I know! I did that right before taking the pictures, cause it just doesn't look very good bare pink. :D
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Was down for a bit because my airbrush compressor needed parts!

all back now though, and in the meanwhile I've been working on the beam axe handles., as I've wanted them to look more like the G-system Sinanju's, with smooth, body colored panels. So after filling the holes I started adding evergreen sheet styrene. This is complex, as a few attachment points need to stay in order to use it in the various configurations.

Have to cut out the holes that interface with the hand of course.

And filled. I still need to add surface detail, a few more panels for visual interest, prime and pre-paint. woo!

lessons learned: I need a panel line scriber and squadron white shrinks way too much to use as a filler in this application.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Progress today, but not much.

the airbrush compressor seems to be running without leaks now. yay!

Got the black paint and the white paint, did some touch-ups on parts I had to butcher and repair (esp. the front skirt armor), re-did the white pieces, they're now totally done. yay!

I sprayed pre-white on my thruster bells and baffles. Baffles are done, the bells are prepped for yellow and orange.

I'm putting off spraying the red armor because frankly I'm a bit terrified of it.

Then after allll that, gold.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

I got a package!

It's from Japan!

What could it be?

Gleeeeeeeeee!

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Wait, is that a novella packaged with the bazooka?
Secularism—since AD 80
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ok, for all the non anime geeks... what the hell is that? An aftermarket bazooka for your model?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Havok wrote:Ok, for all the non anime geeks... what the hell is that? An aftermarket bazooka for your model?
Well, special edition. It's packaged with the Gundam Unicorn vol.8 novella as a special, and is the only way it's available. They did the same thing with vol.4 and the beam gatling for the Unicorn. Yes, it's in Japanese and I can't read it.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

You cheeky bastard, you paid EMS shipping for that? How badly did you need a new gun that model will not be able to hold?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

VF5SS wrote:You cheeky bastard, you paid EMS shipping for that? How badly did you need a new gun that model will not be able to hold?
I've already spent like $230 on this Sinanju, what's another $40? :shock:

I'll make it up by selling the spares. I ordered from a few different places, anticipating short supply. I've got another one (minus novel) coming in from new york that I'm probably going to sell to someone on the finescale or fitchenfoo forums.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Havok wrote:Ok, for all the non anime geeks... what the hell is that? An aftermarket bazooka for your model?
It's a volume of the novel which this Mobile Suit appears in, as the personal unit of the antagonist, Full Frontal. Only in Japan are their special editions of novels which come with crazy shit like 1/100 scale giant robot bazookas. :lol:
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

At least they didn't make it a B-Club exclusive kit. They're the only guys who can make you spend 2000 yen on a hand set for your 2100 yen Master Grade model.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。