Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some of the designs definitely have evolved a bit, especially at the low end of the range where the scaling gets really sort of wonky.

Generally speaking, if I say it's MTL, I currently assume 200GT/shot like Acclamator unless specifically noted. The twin turrets on the Vigil and Velox I'm now assuming are 200GT weapons. Kontos is a pure 200GT boat - twins and quads are all 200GT weapons.

I generally assume KT for fighters and MT range for LTL, but exactly where in that range it falls I'm pretty ambivalent about. I think it's well possible that you can tweak the behavior by adjusting the balance between single shot yield and ROF.

As for mixed batteries, my thinking is that (quite apart from purely aesthetic concerns) larger weapons do offer something in terms of focusing power on single shield facings. Presumably a single shot landing in miliseconds beats the same power averaged across many hits over a tenth of a second? But there are cost, turret training rate, and ROF concerns for the larger weapons so ships big enough to mount the big guns generally also mount smaller and handier guns for general purpose use.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2020-04-28 06:05pm Some of the designs definitely have evolved a bit, especially at the low end of the range where the scaling gets really sort of wonky.

Generally speaking, if I say it's MTL, I currently assume 200GT/shot like Acclamator unless specifically noted. The twin turrets on the Vigil and Velox I'm now assuming are 200GT weapons. Kontos is a pure 200GT boat - twins and quads are all 200GT weapons.

I generally assume KT for fighters and MT range for LTL, but exactly where in that range it falls I'm pretty ambivalent about. I think it's well possible that you can tweak the behavior by adjusting the balance between single shot yield and ROF.

As for mixed batteries, my thinking is that (quite apart from purely aesthetic concerns) larger weapons do offer something in terms of focusing power on single shield facings. Presumably a single shot landing in miliseconds beats the same power averaged across many hits over a tenth of a second? But there are cost, turret training rate, and ROF concerns for the larger weapons so ships big enough to mount the big guns generally also mount smaller and handier guns for general purpose use.
And these are all based off the same reactor calculations that were done on the data page, right?
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More or less. The only fixed points are ISD = 1e25W, and assuming a 250m diameter reactor. Everything follows from that at some level.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

For real time discussion, I have a discord up:
https://discord.gg/8u9FQF7

I check this more than forums these days.
CFletch08
Redshirt

Post by CFletch08 »

The Discord is fun but navigating/finding old posts, bookmarking individual posts for reference, or typing/reading long posts, are all much easier on the classic forum thread format.

But maybe I'm just old and set in my forum-reading ways.

I love the new ships, by the way. I'm especially enjoying all the group shots.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

I little more than half a year later I have reached the end point
Bullets always have the right of away
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Just as an aside. While Fractal seems to have moved on posting here directly (it looks like he has a discord chat he posts on now) He has certainly kept active. there are a number of freakin AMAZING projects he has done over the months including some Golan Defense platforms of stupendous size.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
pstowell72
Redshirt

Post by pstowell72 »

So, I finally decided to actually get myself an account so I can add to the discussion. First I wanna say, Fractal, your stuff is absolutely legendary, keep up the fantastic work. I love what you've done for the Star Wars universe, you deserve all the praise and more.
Now, to say the thing that will probably start arguments, given the history of the topic here: I don't think the term 'Star Destroyer' has anything to do with the traditional naval term 'destroyer'. Hear me out: Star Destroyers, in my mind, encompass ALL of the big warships. The term comes from their power. As Fractal frequently notes, the power of a ships reactor is its most important feature. These things are putting out Yottawatt scale power. That is on scale with smaller stars, hence, destroyer of stars to run your big honkin spaceship. Or, since we really don't know what the heck "hypermatter" is used to fuel these ships, perhaps it originates in a dying star, and way back, they figured out how to (magically, because why not) harness that power and ultra-density to use as fuel. I dunno how that would work, but it sounds cool, and can't be any harder to explain than hyperspace.
I think the ship-classification scale can be similar to an earth-navy's, and all the big ones are colloquially Star Destroyers, with the particularly extra-mega-super-big ones being Super Star Destroyers, because the Empire hired the Pixar guy who named Cars to name their warships.
So you have comparatively littler, faster ships in the destroyer classes, heavier, long range cruisers, and big momma battleships, and everything in between.
Please let me know what yall think!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

HOLY CRAP, a new member? that is still a thing? Is this a prank...

No seriously, welcome dood, great place to get your fill of awesome spaceships.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
pstowell72
Redshirt

Post by pstowell72 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-02-19 08:38pm HOLY CRAP, a new member? that is still a thing? Is this a prank...

Yeah, I'm actually new! Thanks for the welcome. I found Fractal's website a few weeks back, after seeing his work reposted across many platforms, and finally stumbled my way here. Then after finally reaching the end of the thread, I figured better late than never and signed on up! Now I suppose it's time to figure put how Discord works, lol.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Discord is pretty straight forward, just another online chat room.
hope you may wish to stick around here of course, always good to have a fresh face.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

pstowell72 wrote: 2021-02-20 07:16am
Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2021-02-19 08:38pm HOLY CRAP, a new member? that is still a thing? Is this a prank...

Yeah, I'm actually new! Thanks for the welcome. I found Fractal's website a few weeks back, after seeing his work reposted across many platforms, and finally stumbled my way here. Then after finally reaching the end of the thread, I figured better late than never and signed on up! Now I suppose it's time to figure put how Discord works, lol.
Welcome new one
If you still need help let us know
Bullets always have the right of away