It's been a while

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: It's been a while

Post by madd0ct0r » 2020-04-02 09:39am

There is actually an idea I've been wanting to explore for while.

Humans terraforming are all about lush greens, rolling hills, with plenty of livestock. It's our preferred habitat.

If I was an intelligent/uplifted Curlew (prehensile tongue), my ideal terraformed planet would be an endless rolling mudflat and marsh

To humans eyes, they are dead, but they are rich in biofilms, small seaweeds, and millions of types of invertabrate pdf1, , paper2

naturally, they would have developed and exploited bioplastics from seaweed, shells and biofilm the way humans did ligin from trees. Heavy metals would have come later, with industrial outpost towns trading for food from more productive areas.
Little quarrying, but the building of storm mounds, light houses, boats would all be true. Steel's propensity to rust might make it less preffered amonst other metals for tools for some time.

Skip a few hundred years. The emphasis is on light, extremely resilient or self repairing tech. Plastics, bio plastics and gold circuitry. Hover craft are dominant type of transport. Wheels are a bit useless under normal conditions, but rail and cogs are used in the limited dry lander circumstances they apply.
City density is lower than for humans, but when you can fly, this is less of a problem. Building are large and flat with marshy roof pools for landing and welcoming guests in a comforting environment.

Ships. Named after types of storm cloud.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub » 2020-04-02 07:09pm

My next idea is for a species on the cusp of transitioning fully from organic to digital beings. As it stands 80% of their population already lives and works in a completely virtual environment, another 10% live in synthetic bodies performing tasks that AI-controlled robots can't or aren't trusted to do. The other 10% is made up of traditionalists, the rich renting an organic body as a status symbol, and bodies reserved for procreation as this species hasn't yet mastered procreating digitally and is unlikely to do so over the course of our game.

Economically they are almost post wealth and post-scarcity with most limitations coming to those living outside of the massive servers that can easily simulate a life that would be unimaginable within this species current grasps of physics and material science. In the real world, much of what they do is automated using robots running AI packages similar to what we currently use. AGI research was halted ~100 years ago after an experiment which was, on-paper, designed to simulate the brains of a colony of birds was deemed an emergent self-improving AI. In the legal and ethical debate, the followed it came out that the experiment was designed specifically to cause an emergence event. The resulting laws and restrictions have set AI research back significantly as have recently drafted laws to stop the import of any machine capable of self-improvement and self-replication.

Another current social issue is the debate surrounding speeding up the simulation which is currently running at a fixed real-time rate outside of certain strictly limited circumstances. The side in favor of full-server acceleration argues that it's unfair to handicap the majority of the population because of a small percentage living off the server. Those opposed fear being left behind socially if even a modest two-times acceleration is applied let alone the twenty-times acceleration that is theoretically possible.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf » 2020-04-02 11:11pm

maddoctor, jub - those concepts sound good to me.

---

The Tsaj is a collection of gestalt minds. Each individual Tsaj is made up of worms. Each worm is relatively mindless, but when they form into a mass, their intelligence massively increases, in a approximately logistic function. Memories can be transfered between Tsaj, by transferring individual worms, however, only those worms that were there when the memory was formed will have the memory.

Their gestalt nature makes a Tsaj difficult to kill, as killing individual worms only reduces the strength and intellgence of the mass. A sufficiently small Tsaj will join with any other Tsaj it can find. A sufficiently large Tsaj will often split in half, resulting in two Tsaj. The combination of these results in Tsaj generally remaining in a relatively tight range.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf » 2020-04-08 11:58pm

Ok, I tossed some stuff up:
https://kienhui.github.io/STGOD/SDNW8/Tsaj.html

I've still got to make it look prettier, I know. And there's more details to come.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan