Star Destroyer Conqueror....an undervalued ship

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Star Destroyer Conqueror....an undervalued ship

Post by WhiteLion »

I noticed that in the various forums no SW fan mentions this ship, yet it is strange in that it is small in size compared to an SSD or an Eclipse but it is equipped with the Superlaser of the black death. Now, although the ship's generator is not as powerful as its larger counterparts (SSD, Eclipse, Death Star) it is still a very powerful weapon, certainly more powerful than a turbolaser.
Moreover, its small size makes it usable in ship hangars such as the SSD, which could deploy several SDCs in combat as needed.
Furthermore, in my opinion if normally there are ships of other series against which a Star Destroyer can do nothing, against the Conqueror superlaser I ask that the situation is different, at least it could be brought to a level playing field, also due to the superlaser's reach.
I know that being a ship not included in the post-2014 SW material, even this ship like ICS is no longer canon, but I would still consider it in this thread even if it is no longer canon.
What do you think of this ship?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Destroyer Conqueror....an undervalued ship

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's from a trading card game. Not particularly notable, and not much data on it either. As for the superlaser: how often and at how much power could it fire? We don't know. How useful was it? We don't know either. Was it really as powerful (the only thing it actually blew up, IIRC, was a small planetoid) as the Death Star? Could it move AND fire, or does the superlaser take 100% engine power? And so forth.

Experimental ships do not whole fleets make.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You want to be looking at the Onager which has the virtues of being a canonical kyber crystal gun ship that made it into mass production in the later Empire era.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

Both the Conqueror and the Onanager have heavy weapons, but I wanted to ask about the Conqueror because it has a superlaser, I understand that the power is certainly not at all comparable to that of the black death, but it should still be powerful, we have seen examples of them on the Eclipse and on the Eclipse 2. Instead the Onanger for what I have read is able to destroy mountains and almost all ship shields, and it is this "almost" that made me hesitate to consider it a real super weapon. Many weapons are capable of destroying the mountains but if there are ships with shields capable of withstanding the power of its two superheavy turbolasers I thought that perhaps the superlaser derived from the black death should be more powerful.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

On a very basic level, no, technology doesn't matter. I once owned a tiny little toy steam engine, it was nothing like as powerful as a full size steam locomotive, despite using the same technology. This thing was said to use 'death star technology' but obviously didn't destroy planets, the same is true of the Conquerer, merely using the same technology, doesn't make it able to destroy a planet.

A bullet will kill you, a piece of lead thrown at your head will not; one has more power than the other, even if they're fundamentally the same thing.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

I agree with this, in fact in previous posts I wrote that despite being a superlaser it is not able to reach the power of the superlaser of the black death or of the Eclipse.
As my personal speculation I think it is due to the small size of the cannon compared to its bigger brothers and to the lower power of the ship's reactor.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Beyond that the reason we don't talk about them much is there aren't actually that many of these kind of ships, and we rarely see what they can do.